First Bacon Venture

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
This was my first time doing bacon. I started with 1.5 pounds of pork belly.

I did a wet cure of kosher salt, sugar, brown sugar, and Cure #1 for 10 days.

After 10 days I removed it from the cure, dried it off and let it sit in the fridge overnight to form a pelicle.

I smoked it at 200 with applewood and hickory to an IT of 140.

I put it into an ice bath to stop the cooking.

I let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to let all the flavors level out then fried up a couple of pieces.

It came out very good, a touch on the salty side, but the flavor and smoke level were good.

Looks really good and I'd love to make some, but on a salt restricted diet it's not in the cards for me.

Thanks Rich & Barb. We don't have it very often for the same reasons. It was one of the things I wanted to learn to do. So we had a couple of pieces this morning and I vacuum sealed and froze the rest. Just part of my education.

Very nice. I've made some Canadien bacon and it was good. I really want to try that! Looks really good.

It was good Robert. Next time I will cut the salt back a bit but I was very pleased for a first try.

Good job. To help with the salty side, let it soak for an 1 1/2 and change your water out every 1/2hr. That seems to help a lot.

I agree with Todd. You have to rise the bacon at least 1.5 hrs. It will take a lot of that salt out of the bacon. Great looking bacon slab. Looks like side bacon.(a lot more meat then fat). Thanks for sharing JR.

Thanks Chuck. I appreciate all the input I've recieved. I'm definitely going to do the rinse on the next batch.

Back