First Attempt at Pork Loin

Glenn Baumgarth

TVWBB Member
Found a 10.2 lb Pork Loin on sale for $1.97/lb so thought I'd give it a try. After a little looking around on the web found a recipe I sort of followed on GrillinFools.com - Riley's Pork Loin. Brined in apple cider, garlic, salt and pepper for 36 hours (was only going to do 12 but ended up not having the time to cook on Saturday). Pulled from brine, rinsed and then rubbed with Weber's Garlic and Herb and pepper. Smoked on WSM for 2.5 hours between 310 and 350. High was a *brisk* 55 degrees (that's cold for Phoenix). By the way...got a new DSLR for Christmas (a bit early) and trying it out on the food (haven't ventured from the "automatic" setting yet.

Pulled from the package.

Had to cut it in half to get it in the bags for the brine.

Out of the brine and rubbed and ready for the WSM.

On with four fist sized chunks of apple wood.

After 1.5 hours. Temp started high at 340 but closed a couple of vents to 50% and got it down to 310.

Temp was between 145 and 150 and ready to go inside.

Let it rest for 10 minutes and sliced (You can see how juicy it was from the juices flowing all over the cutting board).

Plated with some homemade mac and cheese (to keep the kids happy) and green beans...and some Winter Sam Adams.

Pork Loin was tender and juicy and had pretty good taste. Rub was good, but will probably try something different next time. Thanks for lookin'!!

That loin does look juicy. I might try my next loin on the smoker.

The pictures came out great. Once you get comfortable with your camera, you will find that manual mode gives you much more consistent results. Don't be afraid to experiment. And, don't get discouraged. It does take practice.

Looks FANTASTIC Glenn!!!!
How do you like Sam's Winter Lager?
I just drink it straight down after I open the bottle... many empties laying around here... gonna hafta pick'um up pretty soon before someone gets hurt;)

Sorry for the slow reply guys...this little work thing sometimes gets in the way. Thanks for the kind comments.

@ James n: Canon EOS T3 - got an 18-55 lens and a 75-300 lens and a case in a pkg deal on the day after T-day.
@ Darren c: Cook time was actually 2.5 hours. Pic captions a little misleading there. Was waiting for it to get up to 130-140 and it got up past my target temp pretty quick. Didn't get too far and still turned out great.
@ Jim Lampe: Love it! Goes great with Pork (and with Beef...and with Chicken...and with nothing else at all). Two thumbs up!

you sure about that "first attempt" thing? hehehe, looks like youre a pro to me. great job.

don't lift the lid...

Back