First attempt at a large brisket in the UK!

Andy Briers

Hi Everyone,

I've just bought a large WSM and have done small pieces of brisket with varying success! I have a party on Saturday and want to serve the 12lb brisket at 4.00pm. I've looked at the forum and there are varying methods/preferences etc.

I'm really concerned about start times? I've read it takes about 1 hour per lb, but this means I need to put the meat on at 2.00am if I want to rest it for 2 hours?! Then I read it was done too quickly! I am going to follow the Brisket of your Dreams recipe from the Weber book, if that helps?

I also want to do smoke ribs on the WSM at the same time. What level should I put them both on? Will this effect my timings?

What should I do? Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers Andy

I just did a 12lb brisket on Smoke Day. It was done in 9 hours. Much faster than I ever expected. Since you expect a crowd. Better safe than sorry. I started mine at 2 am.

I'm sure you will get varying responses. One option Brisket on lower grate, nothing on top grate, add ribs when you have about 5 hours to go on Brisket. Or start Brisket on top solo, when the ribs need to go on move it to the lower rack and add ribs to top rack. Or three buy a second WSM and don't worry about it LOL

I always like to be some earlier rather than have my guests wait on the meat. Some times it takes longer and sometimes shorter. Holding it in a cooler will save you if it is done early. A few weeks ago I had one done like 4 hours early.

I've held brisket as long as 5 hours foil and towel wrapped in a cooler. Shoot to finish at 2 and it will be fine if it finishes a bit early, and it gives you some flexibility if it needs to cook longer.

Back