First 3 smokes on my WSM 14.5. Mixed results

D Potvin

I recently bought a used 14.5 WSM. I have never smoked anything in my life but thanks to this forum and YouTube videos I was eager to get going.
My first 2 smokes were pork side ribs. I used the minion method and smoked them for about 4:30 hours. Both times the ribs were ok but not falling of the bone like I expected and also realize that I used too much wood as it overtook the meat flavour.
My 3rd smoke was a 6lb pork butt. I smoked it for approximately 13 hours without wrapping and it turned out amazing. Best thing I've ever tasted!
I was disappointed with the ribs but after eating the porch I am totally hooked.

20200618_181634.jpg20200703_194236.jpg

Welcome to TVWBB! Everything looks delicious! Most ribs will take longer than 4.5 hours at low heat. Try wrapping the ribs after 2-3 hours. Or try one of the high heat methods. Are you any relation to the 3-time Norris Trophy winner and 4-time Stanley Cup champion?

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try wrapping the ribs next time. Do you use foil or Butcher paper?
Hockey fan eh!!
No relation to Denis but Felix was my favorite Potvin.

I use foil to wrap the ribs. The methods are affectionately known as 3-2-1 for spare ribs and 2-2-1 for baby back ribs. The numbers mean unwrapped time - wrapped time - unwrapped time (to firm the bark back up after foiling). I've never had it take the full 6 or 5 hours. My typical spares go 3-1.5-.5. It only takes 20-30 minutes to firm the bark back up after foiling. To get the falling-off-the-bone done-ness you're looking for, you may want to try the full two hours in foil. Lots of people add fluid and stuff (like apple juice, brown sugar, honey or butter) when wrapping. I do not. I prefer a dry rubbed rib. Check out Chris A's other site The Virtual Weber Bullet for lots of time-tested tips and recipes. Another good resource is Harry Soo's youtube channel, though his recipes can be more focused on competition cooking.

I grew up a Redwings fan during the Dead Things era. Felix, eh? So you're a goalie?

Great info...thanks. I will definitely try these methods for my ribs on my next smoke.
I'm not a goalie but am a long suffering Leafs fan! Hoping hockey starts soon.

Congratulations on a great start. Chris has tons of great info that you will find invaluable. https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ There's also a link at the top of this page. Virtual Weber Bullet He has helped thousands of folks learning to use the Weber. You have come to the right place to learn and there are no stupid questions. I used them all up a long time ago. :wsm:

Spares are going to take around 6 hours typically if you run at 250. If you’re looking for fall off bone try 3-2-1 or maybe 4-1-1 to leave some “bite.” Pork butt looks great!

Back