Fire not coming from 25% of the burners

Louis NYC

TVWBB Member
I have a Q1200 with stock burner tube. I've tried to brush them with a wire brush, i've done the toothpick methond to clear each hole, i've take the whole burner out and ran soap and water through it.

Fire is not coming out from the "back right" 25% of the burner tube. By that i mean the part thats closer to me while grilling and the right half of it. This prevents my grill from getting even heating and 25% of the grill being largely useless.

How to fix? Do i need to spend $30 on a new burner tube?

Nope. First off I am going to assume you're running it off a large tank not a 1# tank. So first thing is get a small 1# tank. Put it on and try it out. If it all lights you're good so far. Get a new extender/adapter hose to go from the tank to the grill. Then hook it up. Now turn on the tank S L O W L Y. Wait about a minute or so. Now turn on the burner and light it. You should have full flame

My Q120 was doing that so I went took a small diameter pin and poked it though all the holes, it took a little time but they all worked after I was done, you could try a paper clip or something like that

Doesn't sound like a burner issue if the burner holes and air inlet is clear. It's either a bad hose, bad regulator, or plugged orifice. Start with the easy stuff like eliminating the hose. If it still doesn't work, remove the orifice and make sure the tiny hole isn't plugged. Last part is the regulator. Replace it if nothing else fixed the problem.

Nope. First off I am going to assume you're running it off a large tank not a 1# tank. So first thing is get a small 1# tank. Put it on and try it out. If it all lights you're good so far. Get a new extender/adapter hose to go from the tank to the grill. Then hook it up. Now turn on the tank S L O W L Y. Wait about a minute or so. Now turn on the burner and light it. You should have full flame
I did what LMichaels said also, those tanks will get you sometimes if you open them to fast
Doesn't sound like a burner issue if the burner holes and air inlet is clear. It's either a bad hose, bad regulator, or plugged orifice. Start with the easy stuff like eliminating the hose. If it still doesn't work, remove the orifice and make sure the tiny hole isn't plugged. Last part is the regulator. Replace it if nothing else fixed the problem.

I'll try to clear it out again with a toothpick.

Yes, i am using a Coleman 1lb tank. i didn't know theres tricks to turn it on, i turn it from off, to Max, then within 2-3 seconds, ignite. What tips do you guys have for lighting?

If you do decide you need a new burner tube, don't spend $30. They can be had for half that on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_...ube&ref=nb_sb_noss_2&linkCode=ll2&tag=TVWB-20
I'm assuming i should stick with the Original Weber burner tube and not get some made in china one off amazon, right?

I'm assuming i should stick with the Original Weber burner tube and not get some made in china one off amazon, right?

You are free to do what you want, but I am willing to bet that any burner you get that says "WEBER" on it will be from China. So what if the box doesn't say "Weber" on it. I have 4 year old burners on my Genesis 1000 and they are going strong. Paid $13 for them off Amazon. Yep, they were Made in China. Don't get me wrong, I am a Patriot a Veteran and I love the USA. But, I don't care to pay for a fancy box.

You are free to do what you want, but I am willing to bet that any burner you get that says "WEBER" on it will be from China. So what if the box doesn't say "Weber" on it. I have 4 year old burners on my Genesis 1000 and they are going strong. Paid $13 for them off Amazon. Yep, they were Made in China. Don't get me wrong, I am a Patriot a Veteran and I love the USA. But, I don't care to pay for a fancy box.
good to know, i'm equally as much a patriot as you, and its definitely not about the fancy box. Trying to keep the money in the USA, if not, at least have the company be a USA company.

For aftermarket burners, is there a recommended model for the Q1200? If not, i'll look for the original Weber one.

I DO NOT recommend an aftermarket one. I had the same EXACT problem as you (except on a Q2200). Back right burner wouldn't light after bringing the grill out of storage. Cleaned it several times, and poked all the holes. Still would not light. I bought one of the aftermarket ones on Amazon, and it didn't fit. This was as in May 2020. The alignment of the aftermarket tube was off by about an inch (looking back at my orders I bought it from "X Home"). I could have forced it into place but feared that would do some lasting damage. Ended up returning it and ordering a new Weber burner which fit perfectly and lit up completely.

I'm sure there is/was a cleaning trick I could have done to clean out / unclog my original. Save the headache and potential damage (and a week of delay), and get the real thing.

Of course, your mileage may vary with a different aftermarket brand or a different accessory (for example I bought an aftermarket griddle plate and it's perfect)

It is true that some aftermarket burners don’t fit as well as they should. I think part of that comes from the slight differences between the early Q grills vs. the current ones that hey try to bridge. However, I and many here have also had good success. Look at the reviews before you buy. One thing I like is that many of the aftermarket burners have larger round holes and I think would be less susceptible to clogging over compared to the Weber narrow slits.

Those burners are ss. Nothing should go wrong with them. The holes need to be cleaned properly. Go to lowes or whatever and get a gas/oxy tip cleaner. Then use the proper fitting one to clean out the holes. Each cleaner rod has a rough area, kind of like a file that you need to use to get the carbon out of the holes. If the screen on the tube is clean and the jet coming out of the regulator is good then most likely the regulator is shot. My q220 was bought in 2005 or 2006 and i have not run into any issues except for cleaning the holes. Also remember to take out the tube and flush it out with water. Junk accumulates.

not sure guys... i'm sure its a simple fix. i've tried to clean the holes with tools and a paper clip and the holes are clear enough to fit it through. I've also tried to flush and shake water through the burner, but i can't seem to get enough shaking pressure since water would just leak out of the burner.

Got a recommendation to soak the burner in oven cleaner overnight... has anyone tried this?

Oven cleaner shouldn't hurt it, but I don't know that it will remove crust. I always use a tiny drill bit. I have a cheap set with multiple bits of various sizes from almost needle size up to 1/2". There is one size that fits great in the holes when they are clean. I just put it in a drill and ream out each hole in the burner and I know they are clean and properly sized.

But aside from that, I might just drop $20 for a new burner and move on. Weber Q100 Burner Tube Replacement

Don't soak it in oven c;leaner. Also I am not a fan of flushing burners with water. I flush them out with BrakeKleen and blow them out with compressor. Water left behind is a PIA. If your burner is clean and there are no spider webs or deposit inside it the ONLY reason it will not light completely is the regulator

I've used a drill bit to bore out the holes on a stock Q burner before. Takes a long time, but does the trick. Just make sure you blow some air through it when done to get rid of all the junk that falls into the holes.

I've also had good success with Stanbroil aftermarket burner tubes.

If this is a Q you plan on keeping, I'd recommend to buy a new burner tube and be done with it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RFVC9XW/?tag=TVWB-20

Back