Finished another Spring flippa.....Silver B Premium....my favorite model....also same as my keeper

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Bought this ole gal full of mouse terds so I had to take her back to bare metal and clean her up like new. From what I understand the Premium silver B has the black knobs....black handle.....2 flip up treys.....and a pin stripe. I dont know where I read that but I think I learned it here. My keeper is also a Premium B. As some of you may remember I was complaining about my grill not climbing to 500 degrees as fast as it used to... I have tried different tanks and different regulators but along came this exact same grill so now I had something to test against mine. Today I ran both grills with the same burners.....same bars...same grates....diff reg....diff tank.....diff therm.

Flippa fired up on high at 5 40pm approx 63 degrees outside
Flippa achieves 500 in stride at 5 47 wow!!!! So 7 min to 500deg
Flippa continued on to 600 degrees with ease by 5 54...wow.....14 min total to get to 600!!!! This B is for Beast!!!!

I cooled the Flippa down for an hour then removed the bars and grates and installed them in my keepa

Keepa fired up on high at 6 49pm still about 60 degrees outside
Keepa makes grill poppa happy and strides through 500 by 6 56pm....heyyyy 7 min!!!!
Keepa achieves 600 by 7 03pm........well I'll be dipped! 14min to 600!!!!!!

So my keepa is just fine. She was slow to achieve temp late fall early winter.....now I know that is normal.

See pics of the flippa.....she's a peach. It sold in a couple of hours for $350 incl used cover and empty tank .

Ok...the pics

Attachments

• 20210423_114819.jpg
    20210423_114819.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210423_112033.jpg
    20210423_112033.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210422_202737.jpg
    20210422_202737.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 50
More pics

Attachments

• 20210422_202710.jpg
    20210422_202710.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210422_195639 (1).jpg
    20210422_195639 (1).jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210422_195353.jpg
    20210422_195353.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 30
More.....u want more....I know u do

Attachments

• 20210422_200213.jpg
    20210422_200213.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210422_202811.jpg
    20210422_202811.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210422_194650.jpg
    20210422_194650.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 19
Thanks to Jon I believe for painting the kettle red tips.....the tooth pick made it easy to paint and this grill needed just a lil splash of red.

OK, so I don't think I follow which is which! But I will say that this was a really nice model Genesis. I love the double flip-up tables and the black knobs, handle, and trim. The pinstripe is also a cool touch - as is your addition of the stainless GBS grate. Somebody got a really, really nice grill for the price of an imported junker. I think these are a good compromise melding the "classic" Genesis design with some more modern touches making them more appealing to many buyers. Although the cabinet is prone to rust, it does make these grills look more "substantial."

Beautiful work on that, Jim! I am glad you added the red kettle :coolkettle: !

Thanks Jon. Ya I have zero'd in on this model as my favorite. I know the purists here dont like the closed cabinets because of rust but the stainless doors when resto'd really give these old classics the bling that gets em sold. Had to go red kettle on this all black rig. My keepa is the same grill but I have a green hood. I will include a pic but u guys have seen it before.

Attachments

• 20200805_184041.jpg
    20200805_184041.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 15
That's a great looking grill as well!

The late Silvers are my other favorite along with the wood slat x000 Genesis models. I totally agree with you about the cabinetry. It is a hassle but makes them look better and easier to sell.

Even the smaller, 2-burner Silver A looks more impressive with the cabinetry:

IMG_1804.JPEG

Yep......The smaller 2 burner Silver A's with the SS sell very easy here too. I've gotta get me those door handles you use. I painted mine on the flippa and they came out nice but your idea with those handles look great.

I just started my next rehab today and interestingly, it is the exact same grill as yours. Silver B with double flip tables, cabinet and complete with Black knobs and handles. However, there is no saving my bottom pan. It has more rust on it than a 1966 Dodge. The sides and back seem to be in good shape though. But replacing that bottom is, from what I understand, about a $100 investment. So, plan B will be to remove all the cabinetry and weld in some angle iron cross members front and back and then make some slats for it. I did that on an earlier rehab this year.20210330 Genesis Gold C - SS (1).JPG

Bruce....I can see your reply about ..." is the Premium B really a thing " but I dont see it on the board yet. Anyway.....I swear I heard it hear on this board. If it wasnt hear then maybe I found it when looking up my serial number........maybe someone will chime in with some actual facts but until they do......its a Premium dang it!!! :)

Jim, you are right. I deleted it. I did see where weber labeled some of their grills "Premium".

It sold in a couple of hours for $350 incl used cover and empty tank .

YOWZA!! That is strong.
Jim, excellent resto. GBS grates look ideal on that.
Were you able to get a deal on those?
Lets talk about the floor. Any before and after pics?
Was it in good condition? Did you buy a new floor?
These old grills can be had for pocket change all day
long. A good, quick, cheap floor fix would make these
excellent flips. Having to buy a new floor really lets
a lot of air out of your sails.

Thank you thank you......the best part of resto's is having that shiny beast in the garage for a short while and getting a few pats on the back. The floor on this one was 95% good. Only some surface rust had started in just a few places. I just took a grinder and wire wheel and cleaned up the spots and hit em with rustoleum. If it was worse like a few I have in stock....I cut out the rust sections completely but leave the good metal for some strength.....then I screw in a new piece of metal to the frame. Now if the frame is also rusted I just dont pick those grills up.

Sorry no before pics....... as for the bottom shelf purchase.....I never buy a new shelf from Weber cause its a budget buster. I work for a retail group and we have plenty of throw away metal displays. I just keep the flat metal anytime I come across it....it is usually powder coated which helps. Now when I sell a grill that is patched like that I just discount it for what it is. They still look perfect covered in black paint and such but it is not as it was when it rolled out of the factory. Im not sure you pro's on this forum do any patch em up resto's....I am under the impression u guys go for 100% like new every time.

Attachments

• 20210422_202854.jpg
    20210422_202854.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 15
I convert most of mine to open cart. Like the one I pictured above. I will be doing the same on the one I am working on now.
I honestly don't think I could even secure a false bottom in that grill.

20210424_092750.jpg

Last edited:
I think that came out very well! A clever use of talent and skill to solve a continual problem with these otherwise very nice grills.

Three of us have had a long PM chat going about the level of rehab/restoration that is appropriate. For flip grills it is almost certainly true that the great majority of potential buyers know (or care) little about all the details that some of us collector/Weber fanatics get so into. For them, what matters is that they are getting a clean and safe grill that looks decent. I think that at least a good portion of those do know they want a Weber. For these flip grills you can knock yourself out and do it all just because you want to, but the return on your additional hours and possibly parts will not be very good in most cases.

On the other hand, for us who want to take it slow and go all out for our own use, to share with family and friends, or just because we love seeing a total transformation, doing a 100% accurate and thorough restoration brings its own rewards. It really just depends on your goals and what you enjoy

Back