Finally got my new 18.5" WSM mods installed....

Jason Smart

TVWBB Member
After reading here and a few other places until I reached OCD overload mode, I finally decided on a several mods I wanted to do. I still have not made the 25 mile trek to Academy and looked at the Brinkmann charcoal pan but I'm going to do another larger brisket this weekend and see if it will be worth switching them out. Thank to all of you good folks that took the time to post up your own ideas and pics so that we others can do the same.

Unfortunately, my smoker has been used a few times prior to modding so the pics aren't quite as nice as some but I had to use it to know that I wanted the mods.
icon_wink.gif

My first mod was the 3/8" lamp grommet for my new ET-732. No problem finding the tube but the nuts were hard to find. I had to buy a few "variety" packs to get enough of the right size from Home Depot. Lowes had none of the nuts to fit. I took my time with the painters tape and a slow drill so it went well..

100_0868_Medium_.JPG

I then found a cap in the cast section as suggested and painted it with some black high temp I had leftover from my custom mesquite firepit. I actually bought and painted three of these and put two up in case I misplaced one.

100_0865_Medium_.JPG

Hopefully I won't lose any of these because I installed a place to put it when I have the probes in. Also note I added the Lowes Genie garage door handles.

100_0869_Medium_.JPG

100_0871_Medium_.JPG

Next was installing eyebolt handles on the second grill and the charcoal pan. These may not be needed by all but I thought they were a nice addition and make for a quick easy grab. The grill has 4" long 3/8" eyebolts and the charcoal ring has 8" long 3/8s" eyebolts. I also wired in the charcoal grate to the ring with rebar ties.

100_0872.JPG

100_0873_Medium_.JPG

I made a holder for my ET732 unit similar to one posted on the TVWBB so it would be out of the way and the unit wouldn't fall off a table or deck rail. I had the black high heat paint out for the caps so I zapped the 2x4 with it and the mount came together nicely.

100_0875_Medium_.JPG

100_0876_Medium_.JPG

Probes ready to do work

100_0877_Medium_.JPG

And finally since I use the WSM on a deck, I bought some sheet metal and rounded off the edges to save my toes. I also screwed the ends down so it wouldn't not move or roll up. I think all in all it turned out pretty nice..

100_0878_Medium_.JPG

All of these mod ideas were borrowed from this section and I added a personal touch or two. Thanks again for all those that posted up and made this not only an easier unit to use, but made the mods easy and economical to do.

Jason, I saw your earlier thoughts and I think you've got a good start -- but there are other really good mods including the two bolts to prop the door a bit to bring the WSM up in temp more quickly when needed. And wheels are helpful for some.

I think you have the right idea on the sheet metal, but I also would suggest that it's too small. I have a 30x36" fireproof mat that I use under mine -- that's barely large enough. Last week, even with the mat an errant coal rolled off and left another "sear" mark on my deck. Sure, I have the 18.5 and that's harder to tip a chimney over without spilling, but even with a 22" I would go larger than the minimum. It's not to protect from spills so much as to protect from fire. Also, when I empty my chimney, I have space to set it down without burning the deck or requiring another "hot plate". Finally, with the 18.5, I even have room to set the middle section over on the pad if I ever need to remove it (yes, I DID need to remove it).

Granted these things only become important if you need them, but...

Rich

I appreciate the input Rich. I'll take it all under advisement. I tried to think it through and that is what I came up with so. I'm sure I'll do more as ones I think I can use come available or I create them on my own. I'll try to address your suggestions above. After 14 years on an offset, this quirks of the bullet are new to me with only three smokes on it so forgive the questions..

Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
Jason, I saw your earlier thoughts and I think you've got a good start -- but there are other really good mods including the two bolts to prop the door a bit to bring the WSM up in temp more quickly when needed.

I'll look into this but I am not sure I would ever need this over 275 maybe 300 deg max as I have a Weber gas grill and a custom made 36" mesquite wood firepit cap for any grilling I want to do. We bought this solely as a low and slow type smoker. If you have any suggestions as to why I need to take it over the temps above, I'd listen.

And wheels are helpful for some.

This WSM will stay where its at covered. I thought about wheels but I'd rather it sit right in the middle of the pad and stay there. I don't really have any place I could roll it too. I think wheels on my deck might be more dangerous than not.

I think you have the right idea on the sheet metal, but I also would suggest that it's too small. I have a 30x36" fireproof mat that I use under mine -- that's barely large enough. Last week, even with the mat an errant coal rolled off and left another "sear" mark on my deck. Sure, I have the 18.5 and that's harder to tip a chimney over without spilling, but even with a 22" I would go larger than the minimum. It's not to protect from spills so much as to protect from fire. Also, when I empty my chimney, I have space to set it down without burning the deck or requiring another "hot plate".

This is an 18.5" and the sheet metal is 24x24" I have another 24" x 24" piece just like it not in the pic that I have for my chimney that is removable so I don't have to walk around or kick it when not in use. It comes out with with my chimney for pouring over and set down. The chimney burns in the charcoal ring.

Finally, with the 18.5, I even have room to set the middle section over on the pad if I ever need to remove it (yes, I DID need to remove it).

I guess I haven't had to do this yet during a smoke. Why did you? I have set it on my deck directly being wood with no issues on the paint when prepping the fire for lighting and cleaning the charcoal grate and waterpan after cool down...

-

Originally posted by Jason Smart:
I appreciate the input Rich. I'll take it all under advisement. I tried to think it through and that is what I came up with so. I'm sure I'll do more as ones I think I can use come available or I create them on my own. I'll try to address your suggestions above. After 14 years on an offset, this quirks of the bullet are new to me with only three smokes on it so forgive the questions..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
Jason, I saw your earlier thoughts and I think you've got a good start -- but there are other really good mods including the two bolts to prop the door a bit to bring the WSM up in temp more quickly when needed.

I'll look into this but I am not sure I would ever need this over 275 maybe 300 deg max as I have a Weber gas grill and a custom made 36" mesquite wood firepit cap for any grilling I want to do. We bought this solely as a low and slow type smoker. If you have any suggestions as to why I need to take it over the temps above, I'd listen.

And wheels are helpful for some.

This WSM will stay where its at covered. I thought about wheels but I'd rather it sit right in the middle of the pad and stay there. I don't really have any place I could roll it too. I think wheels on my deck might be more dangerous than not.

I think you have the right idea on the sheet metal, but I also would suggest that it's too small. I have a 30x36" fireproof mat that I use under mine -- that's barely large enough. Last week, even with the mat an errant coal rolled off and left another "sear" mark on my deck. Sure, I have the 18.5 and that's harder to tip a chimney over without spilling, but even with a 22" I would go larger than the minimum. It's not to protect from spills so much as to protect from fire. Also, when I empty my chimney, I have space to set it down without burning the deck or requiring another "hot plate".

This is an 18.5" and the sheet metal is 24x24" I have another 24" x 24" piece just like it not in the pic that I have for my chimney that is removable so I don't have to walk around or kick it when not in use. It comes out with with my chimney for pouring over and set down. The chimney burns in the charcoal ring.

Finally, with the 18.5, I even have room to set the middle section over on the pad if I ever need to remove it (yes, I DID need to remove it).

I guess I haven't had to do this yet during a smoke. Why did you? I have set it on my deck directly being wood with no issues on the paint when prepping the fire for lighting and cleaning the charcoal grate and waterpan after cool down...

- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks to all the people here, Jason, I think questions are good -- they sure helped me out.

On the door mod and going over 275 -- nope, that wasn't what I meant. Someone else here today talked about having trouble with their coals dying out. I've had trouble at times keeping the heat up to the 225 - 250 range I wanted. THAT'S where I've found the door trick to be really helpful. All in all, I think the problem came from something I did, but the door helps recover -- sometimes the vents just don't seem to do it.

Covered -- good, no real need for wheels. With my small covered area, wheels are a real asset as I store the WSM next to the house.

And you were ahead of me with the extra sheet metal.
icon_wink.gif
I still think your space in front may be less than you want, but seems like you're basically covered.

On removing the center section, yes, I have twice had to remove it to resolve problems with the coals. Again, probably something I did, but the first time I had to scramble to come up with a place to sit a heavy hot cylinder. I admit this is not the norm, but I'm pretty touchy about having to deal with a hot fire and equipment while on my deck. The large pad really has made this a more rational activity (that's for those who say you should NEVER use a charcoal grill on a deck).

I mentioned having various problems. I think a lot of that goes away with WSM experience -- I certainly hope so. My last Boston Butt last week was my first basically flawless run in 2 years of smoking. Got it set and didn't have to touch it for 14 hours. And that was just to rake the coals together. Fortunately the results have been great all along since the WSM is so forgiving.

Rich

Thanks Rich for the quick followup....I'll go see if I can find the door mod in case I need it.

As the weeks go by I'm sure I'll need something else too.
icon_smile.gif
I am the consummate tinkerer...
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Jason Smart:
Thanks Rich for the quick followup....I'll go see if I can find the door mod in case I need it.

As the weeks go by I'm sure I'll need something else too.
icon_smile.gif
I am the consummate tinkerer...
icon_wink.gif

A good alternative to turning the door upside down for higher temps is to add another top vent where the dome gauge is, and yes, I also had the same concerns Rich had regarding deck precautions. I'd probably have the cooker sitting in a metal drip pan over a big, concrete grill pad if I was cooking on a deck. The rectangular concrete pads give room to put the lid down or the middle section, if needed.

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
I'd probably have the cooker sitting in a metal drip pan over a big, concrete grill pad if I was cooking on a deck. The rectangular concrete pads give room to put the lid down or the middle section, if needed.

I'm not so sure how much I'd like to set my lid down on concrete. Unless you have something on it to not crack the coating

As long as you don't drop it, your lid's bottom edge will probably see more damage from the occasional strike with the top lip of the middle section than any abrasion from a grill pad. No worries, though. It'll get a nice coating of greasy smoke to protect any finish cracks from rust, anyway.

Back