Finally found Tri-Tip. Pics added.

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
And it's been right down the road at Hannaford the whole time...lol. My butcher said sometimes Hannaford has it so I checked for the heck of it. I never go there because I'm not crazy about their meat department...Go figure. But they said they always have it, now I know. $6.95 pound for Angus. Got a two pounder, was three pounds but he trimmed more than I wanted but no biggie.. Anyways do I just grill this as I would a london broil? I'm not using any wood, just going to throw it on a Smokey Joe I bought last week.

I like to cook them indirect to about 125*, then finish with a sear to about 145* for a perfect medium in the middle.

i indirect till 130 and then direct for a char on two sides for about a minute or so per side on very hot coals. med rare or so. the meats are not the same always so mat differ a little.
we do not trim them. plus we like slathering them in mustard. gives a really nice crust.

I like to put on a heavy dose of Montreal Steak Seasoning and cook indirect to 130. I usually remove mine from the grill for a couple of minutes to cool a little and then sear directly over the coals. Don't know if the "cooling" step is neccessary or not - just want to make sure I don't overcook. I'm also a little OCD sometimes
icon_rolleyes.gif
though. For best results, slice thinly across the grain otherwise the meat will be tough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
i tried that montreal stuff. waaay to salty for me but otherwise not bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

George, I have also put the Montreal seasoning in my bullet grinder and turned it into powder. You get the same flavor, but don't have the corse salt that can pack a punch. The powdered version lets you apply a lot less and still get the flavors.

I am a fan of McCormicks Montreal steak Seasoning. If it is too salty, then you put on too much.

I like it pretty heavy, but that is fully within the control of whoever is applying it.

I use it on steaks, chops, and hamburgers.

FWIW
Dale53

Thanks all....I was impressed. Nice cut of meat. I went with a sear 4-5 minutes a side and about 20 minutes indirect. pulled it off at 125-130 and let it rest. Used this for seasoning.

2 TB Kosher Salt
1 TB+1 tsp Black pepper
1 TB Garlic powder

Here are some pics.....As you can see in the last pic I made a whoops and kept the same side to the heat when it was on indirect. I was surprised with the tenderness of the cut. I know I'll be doing plenty of these in the future. 2 pounds fed me and my son. Served it with/on grilled garlic bread and onion rings.

img1247u.jpg

img1250eu.jpg

img1252bo.jpg

img1254gj.jpg

Looks Great!

I do tri tip 99% of the time. 1/4" fat trim and vacuum seal with Montreal in the refer a few days. Bring to room temp than on the grill. Sear hard and fast than indirect to 125. Let rest: EAT!

Nice job Bill - Like George, I like to indirect first and then sear. I usually go to 115 to 120 internal and then sear 2 minutes per side. Perfect med rare. Again, nice job. Thanks for sharing.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Bob

Well done Bill! I like Montreal, but also make up my own blend of Kosher salt, white and black pepper and garlic powder. Smoke it and cook indirect then sear to finish. Great piece of meat that my wife and I prefer to 99.9% of steaks. That price isn't too bad -- not sure if you have Wegmans in Albany but they're up to $9-$10 a pound now. (You'll grow to hate those Californians that get it for the price of rotten cabbage soon.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Des.:
That price isn't too bad -- not sure if you have Wegmans in Albany but they're up to $9-$10 a pound now. (You'll grow to hate those Californians that get it for the price of rotten cabbage soon.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thx...No Wegmans up this way. But I work in a Food Service warehouse. I can get a case of Angus (1 15# bag) for around $5.50 a pound. Problem is I don't have a food saver. Plus I checked out a case, It was hard to tell how big each piece was, didn't give an average in the description.

Just got got back from picking up one for dinner today.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill S.:
Problem is I don't have a food saver. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't have one either, but that doesn't stop me from stocking up when there are deals. Meat that is properly wrapped will freeze fine without loss of quality. FWIW, pat dry, wrap in freezer paper or similar then in foil. Drop individual roasts/steaks or whatever, as many as will fit, in ziplock bags. Squeeze as much air out as you can before closing. No problems

Back