(Finally) Finished My First Restoration -- Black Genesis 2000

I'm keeping a red lid for myself as an alternate, will build out a black lid 1000 for my sister, then using the remaining frame for a special project.

Honestly, I didn't know what I was doing with the wood, but am lucky enough to have quality redwood nearby and then just kept it really simple with basic oil. If you can get your hands on some redwood, I recommend it.
We are lucky to have redwood nearby. I actually have dropped some trees on my property and am going to make some charcuterie boards out of them. Thinking I might have some cut for grill tables for the keepers.

Lately I have been very partial to strip loin. (NY Strip). I buy the whole loin at Costco. I buy the Prime grade as well. Hell it's only $7.99lb. Choice is IIRC about $00.70lb cheaper but for that I will go Prime. Last one I bought (about 13lb one) I took the end that's got the different muscles in it (not as tender) and cut that into a nearly 6lb roast, tied it and that was our Easter roast. I stuck it on the Wolf rotisserie with basically the well scored fat cap, generous S&P and used the 2 outside burners with smoke packs (mesquite) for added flavor. Cooked it to 115, pulled rested under foil tent while we feasted on our first course. Organic fettucine with my secret marinara made with whole organic certified San Marzano tomatoes. Once done meat was carved (used my Xmas present from wife Cuisinart electric knife) that thing makes picture perfect slices I was IMPRESSED. Then on to final course Artichokes. I do them as Carciofola a la Judea (IOW in the Jewish style) except I don't use herbs like mint or anything which it originally calls for. Basically they're braised and finished with EVOO with lots of S&P and garlic.
Finally desert. What a meal Ahhhh

Lately I have been very partial to strip loin. (NY Strip). I buy the whole loin at Costco. I buy the Prime grade as well. Hell it's only $7.99lb. Choice is IIRC about $00.70lb cheaper but for that I will go Prime. Last one I bought (about 13lb one) I took the end that's got the different muscles in it (not as tender) and cut that into a nearly 6lb roast, tied it and that was our Easter roast. I stuck it on the Wolf rotisserie with basically the well scored fat cap, generous S&P and used the 2 outside burners with smoke packs (mesquite) for added flavor. Cooked it to 115, pulled rested under foil tent while we feasted on our first course. Organic fettucine with my secret marinara made with whole organic certified San Marzano tomatoes. Once done meat was carved (used my Xmas present from wife Cuisinart electric knife) that thing makes picture perfect slices I was IMPRESSED. Then on to final course Artichokes. I do them as Carciofola a la Judea (IOW in the Jewish style) except I don't use herbs like mint or anything which it originally calls for. Basically they're braised and finished with EVOO with lots of S&P and garlic.
Finally desert. What a meal Ahhhh
I would be interested in your artichokes as I always steam or pressure and eat with butter. Never heard of "Carciofola a la Judea". Thanks Joe

Ya know Bruce I actually could have done it. I had enough. LOL
Joe, it's the way I was taught by my grandma and my mom. I put a twist on it though as I used my Fagor stove top pressure cooker. Done in 1/4 the time. The most time consuming part of the cook is the braise. Though I think I could have sped that up by using less liquid (water) in the beginning. I am just so paranoid of running out of liquid in a pressure cooker (happened to me once on something else) and it was not pretty.
But it's really pretty simple. I trim them up cut the stem off and fill a sink with cold water and a little acid (lemon juice or a bit of white vinegar) so they can soak clean and not discolor. Arrange them in one layer in the bottom of the pan, add enough water for the pressure cooking. Drizzle in EVOO into each choke for 5 chokes I think I used about 3/4 cup EVOO (though I don't measure anything it's all by eye, smell and experience). Generously salt, pepper and add good quality granulated garlic into each choke. Put lid on cooker, bring them to full pressure 10 to 15 min. Do a quick release but then keep them on a moderate heat until water evaporates and the bottoms begin to brown ever so slightly. Stop the cook at this point. Put them aside and allow to come to room temp. It's how us degos eat them :D Oh and during that final phase I use a baster and get the hot oil/water mix sucked into it and baste them every few minutes until done. Serve one on a small plate with some GOOD bread and a nice glass of a sturdy red wine (we like a Cab or Zin). Eat them as normal (no butter allowed in our houses BTW) and make sure each plate gets plenty of that well seasoned EVOO for dunking. When they're done correctly and consumed like this it is "nirvanna" and the perfect cap to a fine Holiday meal. We treat them as an apre' desert

Ya know Bruce I actually could have done it. I had enough. LOL
Joe, it's the way I was taught by my grandma and my mom. I put a twist on it though as I used my Fagor stove top pressure cooker. Done in 1/4 the time. The most time consuming part of the cook is the braise. Though I think I could have sped that up by using less liquid (water) in the beginning. I am just so paranoid of running out of liquid in a pressure cooker (happened to me once on something else) and it was not pretty.
But it's really pretty simple. I trim them up cut the stem off and fill a sink with cold water and a little acid (lemon juice or a bit of white vinegar) so they can soak clean and not discolor. Arrange them in one layer in the bottom of the pan, add enough water for the pressure cooking. Drizzle in EVOO into each choke for 5 chokes I think I used about 3/4 cup EVOO (though I don't measure anything it's all by eye, smell and experience). Generously salt, pepper and add good quality granulated garlic into each choke. Put lid on cooker, bring them to full pressure 10 to 15 min. Do a quick release but then keep them on a moderate heat until water evaporates and the bottoms begin to brown ever so slightly. Stop the cook at this point. Put them aside and allow to come to room temp. It's how us degos eat them :D Oh and during that final phase I use a baster and get the hot oil/water mix sucked into it and baste them every few minutes until done. Serve one on a small plate with some GOOD bread and a nice glass of a sturdy red wine (we like a Cab or Zin). Eat them as normal (no butter allowed in our houses BTW) and make sure each plate gets plenty of that well seasoned EVOO for dunking. When they're done correctly and consumed like this it is "nirvanna" and the perfect cap to a fine Holiday meal. We treat them as an apre' desert
Thanks for the recipe. We had a Fagor for about 30 years purchased at a boat show and could be used for pressure frying. We just sold it and the crock pot as we now use the Instant Pot for both now. You must have a much larger one than our 8qt, because we could only fit maybe 4 small ones or 3 large in ours, never 5. Sounds good and we may give that a shot some time. We just cook, dip in melted salted butter, and scrape with teeth.

You cannot do what I do in an IP they just don't cut it. You would have to do it in 2 stages with 2 separate pieces of cookware. IP does not have enough power to do it. My sister in law has tried.

Awesome restoooooooooo ....a real beauty for sure! The steak made me hungry but its 11pm :( .....
Hey if u say your grill gets REALLY hot......it make me wonder if u have the correct regulator on it. Did u replace the reg? Is really hot 600 degrees?
Again...awesome work!!!!

Less than a year ago I was searching for a new grill, browsing Reddit boards and had decided on a Broil King over a new Weber. However, you can't actually find BK's locally, so in further research somehow I ended up on this forum and discovered the glory of vintage Weber grills. Within a week I had acquired a fun little 2 burner Skyline. It didn't take long before I realized that I would need the space and heat of a three burner, so started hunting.

I wanted to recreate as close to an original as I could, so ended up collecting two Genesis 1000s and one 2000 to get all the parts I needed. Bought lots of new tools, cleaners, sandpaper, scrubbers, etc. Broke down everything entirely, lots and lots of cleaning, scrubbing, and sanding. So much dirt and grime. Then took an angle grinder to the endcaps and outside of firebox. Added new threads to interiors of rusted out cross bars.

Here are the basics of my restoration:
  • Rustoleum 2x Satin on all frames and zbars
    • Some of the zbars are in rough rusty shape, but reused them for now
  • Stove Bright Satin on firebox and endcaps
  • Rustoleum 2x Flat Black and White on wheels
  • All new stainless hardware from Boltdepot.com
  • Redwood 1x2s from local hardware store, sanded and three coats of boiled linseed oil
  • Sanded and oiled original handle
  • Sanded and painted original logo decal
  • Bought new casters and ignitor set
  • Cleaned and reused burners
  • Cleaned and used original grease tray and catch pan
  • 7mm stainless grates off Amazon
  • Stainless flavorizer set off Amazon
Couldn't have done it without so much help from so many people here. Special thanks to @Jon Tofte for the fuel decal, and @Bruce for the rotisserie!

I think the 2000 is the perfect grill. It gets REALLY hot. Has the timeless elegance and tank-like solid build of a Range Rover. The additional side table on the right side is key as is located away from the heat of the firebox. Couldn't be happier.

View attachment 25489View attachment 25488
View attachment 25495
View attachment 25490
View attachment 25502
View attachment 25503

View attachment 25492
View attachment 25493
View attachment 25494
View attachment 25496

View attachment 25497
Less than a year ago I was searching for a new grill, browsing Reddit boards and had decided on a Broil King over a new Weber. However, you can't actually find BK's locally, so in further research somehow I ended up on this forum and discovered the glory of vintage Weber grills. Within a week I had acquired a fun little 2 burner Skyline. It didn't take long before I realized that I would need the space and heat of a three burner, so started hunting.

I wanted to recreate as close to an original as I could, so ended up collecting two Genesis 1000s and one 2000 to get all the parts I needed. Bought lots of new tools, cleaners, sandpaper, scrubbers, etc. Broke down everything entirely, lots and lots of cleaning, scrubbing, and sanding. So much dirt and grime. Then took an angle grinder to the endcaps and outside of firebox. Added new threads to interiors of rusted out cross bars.

Here are the basics of my restoration:
  • Rustoleum 2x Satin on all frames and zbars
    • Some of the zbars are in rough rusty shape, but reused them for now
  • Stove Bright Satin on firebox and endcaps
  • Rustoleum 2x Flat Black and White on wheels
  • All new stainless hardware from Boltdepot.com
  • Redwood 1x2s from local hardware store, sanded and three coats of boiled linseed oil
  • Sanded and oiled original handle
  • Sanded and painted original logo decal
  • Bought new casters and ignitor set
  • Cleaned and reused burners
  • Cleaned and used original grease tray and catch pan
  • 7mm stainless grates off Amazon
  • Stainless flavorizer set off Amazon
Couldn't have done it without so much help from so many people here. Special thanks to @Jon Tofte for the fuel decal, and @Bruce for the rotisserie!

I think the 2000 is the perfect grill. It gets REALLY hot. Has the timeless elegance and tank-like solid build of a Range Rover. The additional side table on the right side is key as is located away from the heat of the firebox. Couldn't be happier.

View attachment 25489View attachment 25488
View attachment 25495
View attachment 25490
View attachment 25502
View attachment 25503

View attachment 25492
View attachment 25493
View attachment 25494
View attachment 25496

View attachment 25497
Beautiful, beautiful work!!!

Awesome restoooooooooo ....a real beauty for sure! The steak made me hungry but its 11pm :( .....
Hey if u say your grill gets REALLY hot......it make me wonder if u have the correct regulator on it. Did u replace the reg? Is really hot 600 degrees?
Again...awesome work!!!!
Thanks!

I meant by comparison to the two burner I have. I think it's normal (600 range).

Back