(Finally) Finished My First Restoration -- Black Genesis 2000

DanJC

TVWBB Fan
Less than a year ago I was searching for a new grill, browsing Reddit boards and had decided on a Broil King over a new Weber. However, you can't actually find BK's locally, so in further research somehow I ended up on this forum and discovered the glory of vintage Weber grills. Within a week I had acquired a fun little 2 burner Skyline. It didn't take long before I realized that I would need the space and heat of a three burner, so started hunting.

I wanted to recreate as close to an original as I could, so ended up collecting two Genesis 1000s and one 2000 to get all the parts I needed. Bought lots of new tools, cleaners, sandpaper, scrubbers, etc. Broke down everything entirely, lots and lots of cleaning, scrubbing, and sanding. So much dirt and grime. Then took an angle grinder to the endcaps and outside of firebox. Added new threads to interiors of rusted out cross bars.

Here are the basics of my restoration:
  • Rustoleum 2x Satin on all frames and zbars
    • Some of the zbars are in rough rusty shape, but reused them for now
  • Stove Bright Satin on firebox and endcaps
  • Rustoleum 2x Flat Black and White on wheels
  • All new stainless hardware from Boltdepot.com
  • Redwood 1x2s from local hardware store, sanded and three coats of boiled linseed oil
  • Sanded and oiled original handle
  • Sanded and painted original logo decal
  • Bought new casters and ignitor set
  • Cleaned and reused burners
  • Cleaned and used original grease tray and catch pan
  • 7mm stainless grates off Amazon
  • Stainless flavorizer set off Amazon
Couldn't have done it without so much help from so many people here. Special thanks to @Jon Tofte for the fuel decal, and @Bruce for the rotisserie!

I think the 2000 is the perfect grill. It gets REALLY hot. Has the timeless elegance and tank-like solid build of a Range Rover. The additional side table on the right side is key as is located away from the heat of the firebox. Couldn't be happier.

IMG_7856.jpegIMG_7862.jpeg
IMG_7844.jpeg
IMG_7848.jpeg
IMG_7840 (1).jpeg
IMG_7833.jpeg

IMG_7867.jpeg
IMG_7854.jpeg
IMG_7875.jpeg
IMG_7868.jpeg

IMG_7909.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7870.jpeg
    IMG_7870.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7838.jpeg
    IMG_7838.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7884.jpeg
    IMG_7884.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7867.jpeg
    IMG_7867.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7890.jpeg
    IMG_7890.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Very nice work Dan. I have a 2000 which is an upgrade to the 1000 I bought new in 1998. They are solid grilling machines. I also have a 1985 Genesis 2 that's up for a restore this spring.
I hate the dirty job of cleaning an oldie for a restore but certainly worth the effort in the end.

Dan,
That one is a real beauty. No modern stainless grill can touch that REAL Genesis for classiness and enduring beauty, at least in my mind's eye. You did a great job on that. I am with Larry about putting it into use, but that first cook is sometimes hard to bring yourself to do!

Dan, she's a stunner! Probably the best looking, black lid grill I have seen. You did great work with the wood slats to make them pop, and your lighting for the photography really caught the beauty. Hope mine turns out that well when I get off my butt and get it done! :)

R

Very nice work Dan. I have a 2000 which is an upgrade to the 1000 I bought new in 1998. They are solid grilling machines. I also have a 1985 Genesis 2 that's up for a restore this spring.
I hate the dirty job of cleaning an oldie for a restore but certainly worth the effort in the end.

Rich,

We are all definitely pulling for you on that one. I believe you may well have gotten one of the very earliest runs of the Weber Genesis. When things warm up, we will look forward to seeing what you have and can do with it.

Due to popular demand...

I actually failed to take photos of my first meal on the grill (d'oh!), but here's the second!

That's a pound and a half of grass fed, grass finished sirloin tip steak from a local ranch, with a classic bbq dry rub.

54016E63-7039-449B-9E13-A56A7DE67E11.jpeg
IMG_7955.jpeg
IMG_7957.jpeg

Nice job!
So, what are you going to do with the extra parts?
Gerry
I'm keeping a red lid for myself as an alternate, will build out a black lid 1000 for my sister, then using the remaining frame for a special project.
Dan, she's a stunner! Probably the best looking, black lid grill I have seen. You did great work with the wood slats to make them pop, and your lighting for the photography really caught the beauty. Hope mine turns out that well when I get off my butt and get it done!
Honestly, I didn't know what I was doing with the wood, but am lucky enough to have quality redwood nearby and then just kept it really simple with basic oil. If you can get your hands on some redwood, I recommend it.

Well, the rehab is officially complete now. That Sirloin is perfection. Some times, when I am really in a carnivor mood, I will take a good Sirloin over a Ribeye or NY.
Agreed. The cheaper steaks tend to have a nice chew you don't get w/ the more marbled cuts.

They seem to have more of that classic "Beefy" taste as well. I still love a big ribeye any day, but sometimes a good old Sirloin is just the perfect cut for my mood. Everyone keeps telling me I need to chew my food more anyway.

Back