Feeding 90 People

Shawn Gardner

TVWBB Fan
For a work event I was asked to make BBQ for an after work dinner. As of right now there are about 90 people who plan to attend. I only have to make the meat and everything else someone else is taking care of. I am thinking of doing 4 pork shoulders from Sams, 2 full eye of the round roasts sliced for sandwiches, 2 bone in turkey breasts sliced for sandwiches and then I might make some salmon since I know we have a couple who only eat fish. Does that sound like enough meat for 90 people or should I do 2 more pork shoulders? Thanks for any input.

As for the pulled pork, a formula that I have used a few times for large gatherings is to figure 60% yield for pork butts and figure 4 oz serving size for a sandwich. Going by this, 42 pounds of uncooked pork butt would result in 25.2 pounds or 403.2 ounces of cooked meat. That would be 100.8 4 oz servings.

It is just me. I have 4 cookers total. I plan to do the turkey and eye of the round roasts the day before to let them cool for easier slicing. It will be a lot of work but shouldn't be too bad. If nothing else I will get one more turkey and one more roast. I think it should be enough.

For pulled pork, I usually figure 1/2 raw per person. Have no idea about the turkey. The eye of round will have very little shrinkage or waste. Perhaps 15-20% at most. Multiply the raw weight x .8 and that will tell you how many lbs of roast beef you'll end up with. This is a cook that 1 person can definitely handle as everything can be done in advance. On the eye of round, I'd recommend a really low chamber temp, like around 200 or even lower.

DaveW - I usually dry brine my eye of the round and then cook at 325 until it is 135 to 140. I will then let it rest in the fridge over night to firm up and put on the meat slicer. It is super juice and tender. I highly recommend trying it sometime.

DaveW - I usually dry brine my eye of the round and then cook at 325 until it is 135 to 140. I will then let it rest in the fridge over night to firm up and put on the meat slicer. It is super juice and tender. I highly recommend trying it sometime.

What do you dry brine with ? I've done them at higher heat and wasn't as happy with the results. I like a more consistent edge to edge mid rare instead of having a grey band of well done meat around the outer edges.

I buy my dry brine at Williams-Sonoma. It seems expensive when you see the container it comes in but a little big goes a long way. They have a traditional dry brine and now a smoky one. I like them both. I do get that thin edge of cooked meat around the outside of the roast but I like it for contrast to the center pink.

Back