fear of charcoal

Ray D

I have been grilling for about 3 years now, and it was always on a gasser, because I just liked the ease of use. I was always intrigued by charcoal and lovedette the flavor but was always wary of trying to control temps. Well I must say I bought the performer platinum a few months back, and my gasser hasn't come out of the garage since lol. The wife says the performer was the best thing I ever bought! Probably mainly since she doesn't have to cook anymore lol. But I am amazed at the ease of use on the performer, and now I a month trying to get my wife to let me buy a WSM, maybe I will just put it on my Christmas list lol

Congrats on your new performer! I also have one and love it with the gas assist it's about as easy as using a gasser.

I definitely have my eye on the WEB but my big question is which one to get. I mainly only cook for my family which consists of me my wife and two kids. What do you guys think? 18.5????

WSM size kind of depends on how creative you want to be if you decide to cook for larger groups. I have added a middle cooking grate to my 18.5 and can get a lot of small items like chicken pieces on it that way. Some people even add an extender rack to get 4 levels. I cooked 5 racks of spares in mine a few weeks ago on one grate by rolling and stacking.

Others don't like to do all that fussing around, or need a lot of capacity and just get the 22.5" You can also do all the capacity mods and have that much more space

I guess I could always go with the motto that bigger is better lol. It would b better to get the 22.5 in case I do a big smoke out like u said Paul, thanks for ur input

Congrats on the charcoal experience.

It's funny because I bought my first kettle more than 18 years ago. I never worried about temp. I just roll with whatever it happens to be. I just cook until the food is up to temp. I've always been satisfied with my results.

I bought an 18" WSM about a year ago. Ironically, I'm obsessed with temps on it. Weird. Anyway, I wish I had waited and ordered a 22". I bought the 18" because I had a Home Depot gift card and it was in stock. I wish I had waited and got the 22" though. There's plenty of room on the 18" for most things. But, I hate using the lower grate because I don't like having to remove the top grate and find a place to set it while I tend to the lower grate. Most of the time, I have room using the top grate only. If I had to use the lower grate any more often that I do, I think I'd sell my 18" and get the 22".

I definitely have my eye on the WEB but my big question is which one to get. I mainly only cook for my family which consists of me my wife and two kids. What do you guys think? 18.5????

Go with a 22. Hurry down to your local Target and see if they still have any on clearance. You might be able to pick one up for half price.

I too mainly cook for my family which is myself, wife and twin 2 1/2 yo girls. But I have 2 22's, 2 gassers, 2 JJs.

I already tried at my local target, I don't see many WSMs for sale locally, I have also been looking at Craigslist with no luck either, and I think u may b right Nate, when I do get one it will most likely be a 22, don't wanna leave myself short handed

The addiction has started! If you can't find a used WSM and buy new be patient with the new one. Once seasoned a WSM will hold temp much better, plus you learn how to adjust the vents over time.

Thanks for the tip Tyson, by the looks of things I will probably be buying new and will try my best to be patient, u know how us new yorkers r, not very patient lol

Back