Favortie pulled pork recipe?

John Thom

TVWBB Member
Mine so far would have to be a nice well rounded rub featuring some earthy spice like thyme. Applied thick on a Boston Butt. Refrigerated over night and cooked at 250*-275* until I hit 190*. Then a nice vinegar, or vinegar ketchup sauce and a pile of coleslaw, french fries, all on a cheap light bun. Don't want bread to get in the way now do we? Other favorites?

Maybe not a pork recipe, but my current favorite rub is Dr BBQ's big time and his vinegar sauce

This is my favourite. The tang of the nutmeg mixes well with cinnamon.
with or without sauce works. Country Bob's All purpose sauce is my familys choice.

Big Daddy's Song of the South Dry Rub

½ C Paprika
½ C light brown sugar
½ C onion powder
4 T salt
4 t ground nutmeg
4 t ground cinnamon
4 t ground thyme

Im with Kevin..His butt rub is pure Quality! (i cut back on cinnamon..But thats just me)

Try it and i BET you wont be sorry!

Call me crazy. But my lady does a marinated Italian salad with sweet peppers onions and tomatoes. I like that on-top of a PP samich in the summer-time!

Tim

I'm still experimenting and going to try Kevin's soon. I'm after a lot of good bark and with the help of the Fine Folks here I learned raw sugar and pepper add to that.

And I've found Kevin's practice of not adding salt to his rub helps a lot. I salt 1st then add the rub. Good Stuff!

a butt rub for jane, some #5, & while you're at it try something like miss piggy's mustard sauce

Last weeks pork I went with my new comp rub and pumped full with my injection. Looked like a basketball ready to explode it was so full of my newest secret injection. I use no suger/sweetner at all. Best I ever had in my life. No sauce needed. 10 years in the making, almost there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Last weeks pork I went with my new comp rub and pumped full with my injection. Looked like a basketball ready to explode it was so full of my newest secret injection. I use no suger/sweetner at all. Best I ever had in my life. No sauce needed. 10 years in the making, almost there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dale, do you mean "no sugar/sweetener at all" in your injection, or in your rub, as well?

I hear ya on the sauce. My last brisket was like that, and you've really accomplished something there to take your pork shoulder to that level.

I've got the opposite issue with my ribs. Can't seem to find a glaze that tastes better than my unglazed st. Louis, but some folks don't think the ribs are finished without it.

Hello Dave! Just a hint of sweet for balance in the rub ,other than that, no sweetner added in the injection. Savory only and I like it that way. I had a party last week and served sauce on the side that was kinda sweet and it went over well. People raved about it whether they used sauce or not. My wife and kids are my best critics because they are straight with me and we all agreed that I am onto something.

"OFF TOPIC BUT I CANT HELP MYSELF"
icon_razz.gif

I totally disagree with those that say you dont need to inject pork. Pork without the help of bark in every bite is just too bland for me. The problem folks who have tried injecting and didnt think it was worth the trouble, well being straight with you, their injection wasnt right. I cannot tell you how many injections ive tried from books, websites, my imagination, ect, that I have tried and failed with. Injecting with apple juice isnt the answer, that I am sure of.
icon_smile.gif
Flavor vs Bland, flavor wins everytime.
Thanks for listening to my late night ramblings!

Dale, I'll read your ramblings any time, my man! Thanks so much for the tips and the encouragement to get back to trying injections.

Hope you have a great Easter weekend with the family!

I just pulled 2 butts off the smoker from an all night cook using K Kruger's Metamorphosis Rub

The recipe makes a little over 2 butts worth (6-7 lbs. ea.) I'll sprinkle the left overs while I pull them.

I used all Penzey's spices and grinded the chile's fresh this time and man, what a difference quality spices make! I'll never buy a McCormick spice again.

For the Turbinado sugar - I've always had a hard time for the larger crystals of sugar in the raw (what I use) to get into the meat - so I made that into a powder and seemed to work better getting "into" the meat.

Making a batch of Fat Johnny's Sauce while they rest for an hour or so...

And going to try the finishing sauce on butt #2. Which I will pull and freeze with the sauce mixed in the meat.

Will this eliminate the need to add things like a mix of chicken & beef broth to help moisten the meat upon crockpot reheating?

Dale, while I agree with you that flavor wins over bland every time (I am no fan of bland), I do not agree that injections are the only way to get there. Different strokes...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Dale, while I agree with you that flavor wins over bland every time (I am no fan of bland), I do not agree that injections are the only way to get there. Different strokes... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, I'm not a pork shoulder shredder. The meat dries out quicker and it's just not my preference. My best butts are the ones that I manage to keep in about thumb-sized chunks, and the bark gets mixed in. I'm not an expert injector and rarely do it, but when I have I noticed that the flavor was throughout, as IN the meat. I know that most of it probably ended up in the pan, but there was definately flavor left. Not sure I could do that with a finishing sauce without "messing with the pull", if that makes sense.

It makes sense.

I sometimes inject when I plan to slice the meat (I'm talking real slices, not the fat slabs common in comps).

Me, I like a mix of some shreds, mostly hand chopped and some barky thumb-sized pieces. With a finisher especially, he meat does not dry out at all.

Kevin, I agree 100% about different strokes. Im all ears when it is about learning, getting better, whatever it takes. I just cant seem to get there without injecting. My obvious failings, but I like what im eating now. The best ive ever made so far. That is one of my favorite things about Q. There are many ways, and Im still playing with the recipes trying to improve every cook.

Back