Favorite Wines for BBQ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art R

TVWBB Super Fan
What is your favorite wine for a BBQ?

I like a wine called Sangiovese. If I remember correctly is was from Montevina winery in California. Bold and spicey...not too dry.

AR

I prefer a bold wine called Guinness. I believe it is from St. James Gate in Dublin. Rich, creamy and black.

icon_wink.gif

If wine is bein' drunk, dranken, drinked, ish gotta be wet, cos ya can't dranken dry shtuff. Ats gotta be schewed. Now thas clear, I like a nishe WEt huraz! Hurrah! Shiraz! Yay!

I was going to save favorite beer for another post, but since the door is open....

What is your favorite beer for a BBQ?

My personal favorite is Goose Island Summer Ale, produced up here in Chicago....on...you guessed it Goose Island!

Second choice if the Goose has flown the coup is to go with Lienenkugels Red, brewed up in Wisconsin.

AR

Thirsty now after typing all that.

I like a Cabernet Sauvignon(sp?), Shiraz, Sirah, Pinot Noir and usually a Merlot (cuz thats what SWMBO likes) But never discount Dos Equis or Amber Bock.
icon_wink.gif

HEY SUSAN Z !!! This one's for you. Can't believe she hasn't found this thread yet. Mebbe had hot date Friday nite.
icon_eek.gif

Miller Lite, I go for quantity not quality! But I am doing this South Beach diet and have kinda gotten into the wine thing. Drinking beer only for Sunday Football.
So far Sutter Home Merlot is my favorite. I need suggestions though, I am not connoseur (<--spelling?
icon_confused.gif
) of fine wines. I do know however the ones not to drink, (Mad Dog 20/20, Wild Irish Rose, Boones Farm). Is the wine in the box any good? I could make believe it is a "keg" of beer for football. Nahh wine and football is kinda like putting water in hot grease...........really bad combo!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
My favorite wine is: _BUDWEISER!!!_
icon_biggrin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL!!!
icon_smile.gif

I love to drink wine (i.e. Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir), but for BBQ, I usually opt for Newcastle Brown Ale, Guinness, or Sam Adams (my favorite domestic beer).

Art R- Goose Island Summertime is a great beer! I love that stuff. Hey... did you see the new Sam's Wine and Spirits in your area? I'm going to check it out today. The Chicago store is amazing!

Randy C.

The wine I usually get while Q-ing is "Aren't those ribs done yet?"

While cooking BBQ I, too, prefer beer. Lately I've been going through a lot of Blue Moon (or alot of it has been going through me). MGD sometimes sees action.

During the shorter phase (eating), it depends on the meat. I like red wines and a favorite is "Jest Red" (a blended red that's decently priced and very tasty). For salmon I like German-style wines. A good gewurztraminer goes well but can be hard to find. Other times I really enjoy a heavy-duty chardonnay.

Wine with Q can be tricky. You have to watch out because vinegar-based and sweet sauces just don't pair well with wines. I reduce (or eliminate) the Q-sauce when drinking wine so that everything stays in balance.

Hey, Keith,

You're right---this is a thread for me! I was all wrapped up with tornado excitement in the area last night, and drinking zombies with 151 on top. Ooofa! Where'e the aspirin?

So let's see, wine and Q. Well, like most folks here so far, I agree that beer is a natural foil for the Q (I just picked up some Hacker-Pschorr Original Oktoberfest Amber Marzen, which uses the same recipe they've used since 1412 or something, yum), but I do have non-beer drinkers (mom for instance). So I'll serve up any heavy red that can stand up to the bold flavors of bbq. So...a lovely merlot, or a cab, or a syrah/shiraz, or a sangiovese (tho I prefer my super-Tuscans with gorgeous steaks, cuz they're so nuanced) or nearly any Spanish red. Since the Spanish ones go so well with tapas, I think they're really happy with the kinds of variety you have when serving up Q.

When I have parties I usually whip up a batch of sangria, and boy, that goes with EVERYTHING and goes down nice and easy! Sangria and Q---ohhhhh yeah!

Susan,
You know what happened the last time I drank 151?...............me either!!
icon_biggrin.gif
I have seen Sangria made on TV before but have never tried it. It looks very yumbo!

AS a rule I prefer beer. But:

If it's spicy I like somehting sweeter. Riesling and Voiginier or however the heck you spell it. This works really nicely with poultry and spicy pork and spicy brisket (stick with the beer on brisket in my opinion).

With fish or a not so spicy rub on poultry I go with a Chardonay or some times a Grav.

I like a Shiraz or nice Zinfandel with red meats depending on the rub.

However, best brisket I've ever done is one that I smoke first then braise in....... Guiness! Seemed like it would have been sacrilege to drink anything else with it.

On a really hot day I have been known to mix up an ice cold Margarita(not forzen...girly!!)while I'm waiting for it to finish!!

However, when I'm eating Q it BUD for me.

Larry, I've got an awesome sangria recipe. Supposedly it's the one they use at Jaleo, that cool Tapas place (in DC, Bethesda, and soon Crystal City if it's not already open). Lots of wine, plus oj, 7-up, sugar, cinammon sticks, vodka, white brandy, and....maybe something I've forgotten, like Rose's lime juice or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back