Favorite Wines for BBQ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotta find the one where I reduced all the ingredients a bit, cuz this makes a lot!

Jaleo Sangria

9 ltr red wine
24 oz orange juice
32 oz 7-Up
8 oz Rose's Lime Juice
24 oz sugar
8 oz vodka
8 oz brandy
2 cinnamon sticks
Diced pears and granny smith apples

Mix all items together except fruit. The sangria can be stored up to two weeks in a cooler. Add fruit approximately one hour prior to service.

Ok, that one makes 5 GALLONS

Here's a smaller one (and you can still make it smaller)
4 bottles wine
8 oz OJ
12 oz 7 Up
3 oz Rose's lime juice
8 oz granulated sugar
4 oz vodka
4 oz brandy (i use white brandy)
1 cinammon stick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ok, that one makes 5 GALLONS <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Man, I need to come to one of your parties
icon_biggrin.gif

On Edit: After Susan's party, I'm headin' to Atlanta
icon_cool.gif

WooEeee, Susan. That one sounds good. Sangria is a natural. But why reduce the amount you're making? Looks like 5 gallons will leave you just enough for a snort or two the next day (morning?).

Art: You started this thread. How's the foot?

Some successful wines we’ve had with barbecue:

With ribs (excellent): Cairanne Côtes du Rhône Villages (Les Grandes Vignes du Roy)

With any smoked food (great with smoked meatloaf): 2000 Delas (Saint-Esprit) Cotes-du Rhone
------------------------
Here are a few comments that I’ve collected on my computer:

ROSÉ AND BLUSH typically loves: Anchovies, shrimp, tuna, ham, sausage, smoked poultry, turkey, allspice, caraway, cayenne, cinnamon, ginger, mild chili, nutmeg, BARBECUE, soy, Parmesan cheese, peanuts, bell peppers, carrots, cranberries, melons, strawberries, raspberries.

ZINFANDEL typically loves: Crab, hot-smoked salmon, mussels, bacon, beef, chicken, pork, basil, bay leaf, file, mild chile, oregano, paprika, balsamic sauce, BARBECUE SAUCE, mild salsa, blue cheese, Parmesan cheese, blackberries, corn, dried tomatoes, eggplant, figs, tomatoes

--- From The Atlanta Journal-Constitution 6/8/00, Source: "The Vintner's Table Cookbook" by Mary Evely.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
You might check:

www.winespectator.com
WINES FOR BBQ

My personal favorite for grilled food has got to be RIOJA. This is a medium-weight red wine that's spicy and fruity. Classic, bold, these wines taste mostly of their tempranillo roots and have a bright, fresh flavor to them. This goes extremely well with steak and other hearty meats.

Serve red Riojas at around 61–64°F. If it's hot out, you might want to stick the bottle in the fridge for a few minutes. If you serve a red wine too warm, it tastes mostly of alcohol and you lose the great flavors.

Another great wine with ribs and thick steaks is BACO NOIR. What a red! None of this namby-pamby light stuff. This wine has heft to it – very complex flavors, with wood, spice, richness, texture. Definitely a long finish, something that can go with a rich BBQ ribs dish.

Best of all, with a Baco Noir there's the infamous Purple Mouth that results. You can offer this wine to unsuspecting friends and see if they notice each other’s tongues. Probably not, they'll be enraptured by the wine's flavor.

Are you more of a white wine person? If you're grilling up fresh seafood and serving salads, try for a CHABLIS – a Chardonnay made in the Chablis region of France. You're not doing this because you're anti-Californian! You're doing this because while in California Chardonnays tend to be very warm, oaky, and smooth, the Chablis version of Chardonnay is flinty, steely, fruity, and crisp. This is the perfect accompaniment to oysters, seafood, and light poultry.

Do you have some visitors who aren't really wine drinkers? SANGRIA is the answer! This fresh, fruity punch is made by dumping red wine, brandy, fruits, ice, and cinnamon together and letting it sit overnight. We have tons of recipes on line to help you mix the perfect batch.

Looking for more Sangria recipes or tips on pairing wine with your BBQ menu? Our discussion board is open 24 hours a day!

— From Lisa Shea, wine guide for About.com, http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa062300.htm

WINE AND SPICE PAIRING

Wine and Food pairings is an individual choice. Every person's sense of taste is different. In general, each person should decide for him or herself what combinations of wine and food taste good - don't worry about what anyone else says should work. However, I understand this is difficult when a wine drinker is just starting out. Hence, this listing.

Remember - these are only guidelines!! You will figure out quite quickly that your own tongue has its own idea of what goes well with what. Trust your own judgement, and eat and drink what you enjoy!

Typically, you want to drink light-to-dark, just as when you plan a meal you start with delicate tastes and work towards heavier tastes. For this reason, you tend to serve a white wine with appetizers or opening courses in a meal. White wines also go well with most lighter dishes - salads, fish, poultry, and so on.

CABERNET SAUVIGNON: bay leaf, parsley, nutmeg
CHARDONNAY: mustard, clove, ginger, sage
CHENIN BLANC: dill, parsley, clove, nutmeg
GEWURZTRAMINER: mint, black pepper, curry
MERLOT: basil, oregano, nutmeg
PINOT GRIS: thyme, chives, fennel, orange
PINOT NOIR: mint, sage, cinammon
RIESLING: dill, sage, clove, ginger
SAUVIGNON BLANC: garlic, oregano, black pepper
SEMILLON: dill, lemon thyme, cumin
SYRAH: tarragon, rosemary, juniper, white pepper
ZINFANDEL (RED): tarragon, thyme, black pepper, clove

— From Lisa Shea, wine guide for About.com, http://wine.about.com/library/bl_food_sp.htm

Sangiovese is a varietal that is gaining interest, and a number of the Northern California wineries have started offering it.

I personally prefer wines that are a little bigger, finding that they 'stand up' to and pair with BBQ better. A good Syrah or certain Zinfandels are probably my #1 choice, but some Merlots are good, as well. Some lesser known varietals, such as Petit Sirah and Cariagne can be excellent with BBQ, and some whites, such as a good Viognier or even a Chardonnay can pair well with BBQ'ed fowl.

A number of wineries put out blends, often called cuveé or meritage (rhymes with heritage), which are really great w/'que as well.

Two 'secrets' which improve any wine are to serve it in a good glass (Riedels are my favorite (and as a gratitious advertisement for this fine site, can be ordered via the link to Amazon) and to share the bottle with friends. It sounds a bit silly, I know, but trust me, they work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Earl Everett:
Two 'secrets' which improve any wine are to serve it in a good glass (Riedels are my favorite (and as a gratitious advertisement for this fine site, can be ordered via the link to Amazon) and to share the bottle with friends. It sounds a bit silly, I know, but trust me, they work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And let reds breathe before serving and don't serve whites too cold.

I really enjoy wine, but admit I am but a novice. My wife once worked for a large california winery, but rarely drinks libations of any kind. Thus, I am forced to drink alone....but don't cry for me.
icon_wink.gif

My preference has always been towards the reds. I'm looking forward to getting a purple tongue from the Banoc Noir. Never tried that.

The ankle is on the mend, but no walking for at least 6 weeks, lest I ruin some very expensive hardware. Guess I'll need a drink holder for my rental wheelchair and a boda bag for when I'm using the crutches.

AR

Way to go, Art! Looks like you have your recovery well in hand. And it looks like you got some sage advice from Larry Wolfe. Don't let the ??? get you down!

Your injury is our gain,
Rita

Art,
We now have two things in common! We can't walk and our wives don't drink! Kinda like the "blind leading the blind"!
icon_cool.gif
(<---imitation of a blind man) Who said you had to be able to walk to make good Q or drink!
icon_biggrin.gif
I didn't know you were a wine drinker. You are in luck! The wine glass is perfect portable drink container, for the "non walking"! Simply set the base of the wine glass to the seat of the wheelchair and the stem of the wine glass between your legs. It holds itself while you roll around!

Beer: Anything I've brewed
icon_smile.gif

Wine: For BBQ, I usually drink port, preferably a tawny port. It's extremely full body and rich flavors compliment the bold flavors (spicy rub) of bbq very well.

Regardless of what you drink, Art, it seems you've found the second ingredient -- alcohol (smoke being the first).

If you like reds, try a California Zinfandel from the Dry Creek area or Petite Sirah (nothing petite about its taste). They are a bit more affordable than Cab Sauv or Merlot, carried in major wholesalers (Costco, Sam's Club, etc.), and go rippingly well with BBQ. The Zins are normally big berry flavors with lots of "finishing" tones that compliment BBQ.

If I'm doing a brunch or lunch, I'll usually drink beer. I try to support the local micro breweries, but Becks or St. Pauli's Girl will do in a pinch.

I have to agree with what Justin Wilson said on his cooking show one time. "He'll drink red wine with fish and white with beef if He wants to...the fish and cow will never know"...but bbq calls for ice cold Shiner Bach...mmmmmm

Ok, but if you've ever accidentally paired red wine with a tuna fish sandwich (or tuna salad plate), ewwwww, the red wine totally brings out an oily fish taste that is NOT there otherwise.

Blech.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Art,
We now have two things in common! We can't walk and our wives don't drink! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
And Q'n! That's what brought us here to start with.

**suspect there may be some DUIs here someplace**
icon_rolleyes.gif

I like a big Cabernet. One that the first drop that touches your tongue does an Emeril impression... BAM. Starts full favor, ends full favor.

Also a good "old vine" Zinfandel, a shariz, a Malbec, a Pinot Noir, a Petit Sirah, and Sangiovese. Then of course, blends of any of the above.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Finney:
I like a big Cabernet. One that the first drop that touches your tongue does an Emeril impression... BAM. Starts full favor, ends full favor.

Also a good "old vine" Zinfandel, a shariz, a Malbec, a Pinot Noir, a Petit Sirah, and Sangiovese. Then of course, blends of any of the above. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Chris, Damn you're easy.
icon_rolleyes.gif
BTW, cork or twist top, or cardboard box?

Any ol' plonk!

Although a nice real ale is quite good such as:
Wychwood
I usally save the fancy, imported stuff like Budweiser for extra, special occasions.

And of course any decent Californian wine ... even E & J is starting to look decent after the rubbish the French let out across the channel.

[/QUOTE]
Chris, Damn you're easy.
icon_rolleyes.gif
BTW, cork or twist top, or cardboard box?[/QUOTE]

Not too easy... They have to be good!
icon_wink.gif

I've probably got more types of wine glasses than Susan has grills. Oh yeah, that's not possible... is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back