Favorite Store Bought Sauce

I'm a fan of keeping things local, which in my case is the Twin Cities, MN metro area. I've been using Wee Willie's Original Formula for pork and their Texas Pit for beef. I'll be trying their NC-style vinegar-based variety soon. Have used Blues Hog in the past.

I can't not chime in on this. About 10-12 years ago, while, while perusing Ted Nugent's website, I discovered Ol' West BBQ & Dippin' Sauce from James Valley Co. in South Dakota. I ordered a bottle. After it was gone, I ordered four more bottles direct from the company (http://www.jamesvalleycompany.com/). Then I ordered a case. Then another.

I just now placed my now usual order of a case of 4-gallon jugs as a full squeeze bottle in my fridge only lasts a week or so anymore. We affectionately call it "Ted Sauce". It has a sweet, slightly smokey, very bold taste like no sauce you've ever had. Pour some on the top of a pulled pork sandwich with a little scoop of coleslaw and you'll think you've gone to Heaven.

Ted's testimonial reads:

"This primo ooze from the Gods of erect tastebuds will turn bad road kill into gourmet delight. I travel far and wide to discover the very best chow upgrade and John Collins over at The James Valley Company in South Dakota has the best of the best here folks!"

600x450

Last edited:
I had forgotten how much I like the "Bone Suckin' Sauce" used it on Thursday for some spareribs and the stuff not only tastes great but tacked up really nice and added a beautiful color.

I can't not chime in on this. About 10-12 years ago, while, while perusing Ted Nugent's website, I discovered Ol' West BBQ & Dippin' Sauce from James Valley Co. in South Dakota. I ordered a bottle. After it was gone, I ordered four more bottles direct from the company (http://www.jamesvalleycompany.com/). Then I ordered a case. Then another.

I just now placed my now usual order of a case of 4-gallon jugs as a full squeeze bottle in my fridge only lasts a week or so anymore. We affectionately call it "Ted Sauce". It has a sweet, slightly smokey, very bold taste like no sauce you've ever had. Pour some on the top of a pulled pork sandwich with a little scoop of coleslaw and you'll think you've gone to Heaven.

Scott, thanks for the tip on this. My butcher shop stocks it, and I've looked at it many times but never tried it. I'm headed there tomorrow afternoon, and I'll pick some up.

Gotta go with Sweet Baby Rays and also Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce for all chicken cookery on the grill or smoker.

That said, the Kraft Honey and Roasted Garlic is pretty darn good for a cheap and usually pretty inferior BBQ sauce brand. I like it a lot for a basting sauce and also for just straight on a pulled pork sammich.

Another vote for Famous Dave's. We have used Dave's for years. Every time I test something new we say its ok but it's not Dave's. I guess there is no accounting for taste.

My local SAMS Club used to carry Cattlemans brand and I used that. They quit carrying it a couple yrs. ago. Now I use Sweet Baby Rays. But I'm going to start experimenting with my own sauce.

Just saw Sweet Baby Rays on sale up here in the Ottawa area. It's going for $2.49 for a 425g bottle (14oz?). I will have to try some.

I like SBR's....Use to get it by the case in McDonough, Ga for free...Our company warehoused and shipped it....Jus bought some Kraft Hickory that was on sale after the fourth....Would love some recipes as a "bought sauce" as a base....

SBR Honey Chipotle with some extra stuff added is my standard.

For a Saturday afternoon cook I'll sometimes go to Pat's Ho'Made. Although I just made a connection for the original Fat Boy's Restaraunt sauce (A local place that has been out of business for a while).

Russ

Back