Favorite Store Bought Sauce

Stubb's and McCLards (bought on visits to Arkansas) are my favorites. Both have some zip and are not just sugar.

Sweet Baby Ray's is FAR too sweet for me. I threw some away after trying it a couple of times.

I'll second McClards. I always try to talk sweet Pammi Sue into going there when we go to visit her family out in Arkansas. I always buy a big jug of Sonny's sweet for smoke day,and it lasts for a couple months. When that runs out,I like Sticky Fingers Memphis. NIce tang,but not too sweet,IIRC.

Wow. What great responses. I am going to give some of these a try. To be quite honest I want to start working on making my own vinegar based but my wife really likes SBR. I love this site!

I actually don't use a lot of sauce. Just a enough of a Carolina Vinegar sauce to keep the pulled pork moist. And a light coating of Sweet Baby Rays after the rub on my ribs and butts just before smoking. None for brisket. For the Carolina I use homemade with a few squeezes of Sweet Baby Rays to thicken it.

Sweet Baby Rays for me and kids but wife doesn't care for it. She like Bone Suckin sauce as well as my in-laws. I make my own vinegar based for pulled pork.

I get the Sweet Baby Rays to doctor into my own. I am a KC BBQ girl, so the sweeter sauces are home for me. That being said, my family and friends do not recognize SBR as my BBQ unless it is doctored by my mix. Gotta have the heat to balance the sweet!

These are my staples.

IMG_0614_zps42c88307.jpg
[/IMG]

SBR became the go to sauce in the late 90s at my parents house and carried on to my own since then. I've been trying to branch out and searching for a new sauce (looking for more heat!).

KC Masterpiece original with a bit of honey and a small touch of dark amber maple syrup for ribs and pulled pr0k. Nothing for Brisket. SBR is OK, but the wife and I just prefer KC original.

We went to a home improvement show this last weekend over in Concord. A couple had a booth set up and were selling "Ms. C's Sopping Good BBQ Sauce". It was really tasty! I bought a bottle and am gonna use some sunday on some drum sticks. I'll try and remember to get some pics.

We always keep a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's on hand, but it certainly is sweet. My son bathes chicken fingers in it and if you use it sparingly, it is great for quick re-heated pulled pork (with a little heat added).

My personal favorite is Dreamland, however I doubt you will see it in stores outside of Alabama. It is not sweet, but tangy and spicy. I guess it is kinda similar to Stubb's.

Williamson Bro's is by far the best I've had.

Thanks for the recommendation, Van!

I remembered seeing this post a while back and asked my wife to pick it up at Publix if they still carried it.

Thankfully, they still do. It's a fairly thin red sauce, and we were not disappointed!

It's not too vinegary or thin, not too sweet, and just has a great flavor. I bet it would be even better with a bit of butter and onions added, but it's a really good red sauce straight out of the bottle when you don't want to go to the trouble of making one from scratch. Definitely worth a permanent spot in the pantry if you smoke as many pork butts as I do! :)

Back