Favorite Sauce for Ribs.

I dig the sauce from the Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood. I doubt that it's too widely known beyond Austin and the area, but it tastes great on pork ribs. You can find it online.

I'm gonna have to try all these other sauces you are all raving about. I'd better get smokin'

Without many choices up here in the NorthWest I seem to mostly buy Sweet Baby Rays, but from what I have read I better try some Blue Hog.

What is the deal with Blues Hog? I ordered some of that sauce over a year ago and it hasn't shipped yet. I guess they're now using Hawgeyes to help with their ordering woes, but I've never received my TN Red that is already bought and paid for. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Sauce on ribs? Sacrilidge!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Hunter:
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, I feel the same way about DRY ribs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darrell J.:
What is the deal with Blues Hog? I ordered some of that sauce over a year ago and it hasn't shipped yet. I guess they're now using Hawgeyes to help with their ordering woes, but I've never received my TN Red that is already bought and paid for. Has anyone else had similar problems? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My understanding is that if you have problems placing or receiving orders of Blues Hog, you can contact one of our members Rick Kramer at: rickkramer1029(at)aol(dot)com

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Hunter:
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with Tony. I used to use sauce all the time until I got my WSM and learned that you don't have to cover up the taste of the meat.

For my guests I offer sauce on the side.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred Dorn:
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with Tony. I used to use sauce all the time until I got my WSM and learned that you don't have to cover up the taste of the meat.

For my guests I offer sauce on the side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cover the taste? Naaa. That would be to much sauce. Adding sauce IMO, is no different than adding rub. Some on the board only salt/pepper their ribs. I have done that also, but still add a little sauce at the end. If it's dripping sauce, that's to much for me.
Any time I cook or eat away from home, nothing should over power the main flavor of the meat, but add to it.
That's what would be so hard being into the food business, so many people, so many different ways people like their meal made. 1/2 of my house likes fall off the bone, 1/2 don't lol.
icon_eek.gif

Yeah, I hear all of ya! For me its totally preference because for years I had eaten ribs with sauce because the meat just didnt have flavor. I know guys who completely drown their ribs in sauce and serve them that way. I do know other who dont use sauce but the flavor of the meat is so bland that I use sauce to make it edible. Before I started doing authentic bbq, my ribs sucked just like the rest of them. Then I visited Q joint in St. Louis called Bandanas BBQ - Ohhhhh Myyyyy Goddddd! Slow smoked for 7 hours over hickory and the most delicious ribs I ever had! My wife and I bought 3 extra slabs to bring home and hide from the kids!
icon_biggrin.gif
They also had three different sauces on the table, but the meat was so good I didnt dare try to cover it up. Thats how I developed my taste for bbq and thats why I dont like to sauce my ribs. I do provide sauce on the side for my guests too, but for me its straight up and no sauce.

Man, I really miss Bandana's too! That was my vice during the two years I lived in St. Louis. Everyone loved Super Smokers, but I always thought the meat was too sweet. Bandanas was just right.

I amke my Dad's from scratch sauce once a year, it is a bit labor intensive but very good. But basically, I am lazy. What I have found as a good all round sauce is a modified version of Open Pit Hickory sauce. I know a guy here who uses it as a base for HIS sauce and he owns a rib place.
I take ~1/2 cup of Open Pit Hickory Sauce, add about 1-2 TBS Pick-A-Peppa Sauce and 1-2 TBS Worchestershire Sauce-Lea & Perrin, of course. Mix together and add at the end of the session. It has a nice counter balance of not so sweet and a bit of a bite and cook in well.
I use a similar combo w/ a 1/2 bottle of dark beer for a nice mop during the smoking process.
This works well w/ ribs, lamb or pork butt.

Darrell a friend of mine and I were going to split the cost and buy the recipe a year or so ago. But I started finding recipes in other places and we just never got around to purchasing it. I would be interested to know if anyone here has had it.

Chris,

Thanks again for Rick's contact info. He handled my order promptly and sent me a righteous packet with a lot more than I ordered. Definitely some great tasting sauce and worth the wait. Go Blues Hog!

After reading this post I tried Blues Hog and I love it on ribs. The Tennessee Red is great on pulled pork.

I also purchased the rub and some wood and I have to say that I was impressed with how fast everything came, they didn't rip me off on shipping will defiantly order again.

Darrell,

great post! This is a topic that I wanted to know more about from the professionals myself. I have always liked the Selmon Brothers sauce. Being a fellow Sooner how can you not right! Off topic I saw your OU logo and had to post. I was born and raised in OK and now live in Chicago. Was at OU in 83-87.

Yeah, I'm a Sooner at heart. My wife's from Oklahoma and I guess I've been inducted as an honorary Okie! Of course, I'm not full-blooded like Keri and others but I'm trying. I hear Oklahoma Joe's has some good sauce as well.

Back