Favorite Mustard For Bratwurst

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
I'm curious about which mustard you use on your bratwurst as it is such a large part of the flavor. I like Inglehoffer Sweet Hot but would like to try other mustards.

I use a brown mustard with horseradish I think it's made by French's. Nothing fancy, but I love the flavor.

A whole grain Dijon. I like Roland's a lot. (I don't care for cheap yellow on anything.) I do like some sweetness for homemade bratwurst so either top with caramelized onion, or purée caramelized onion into the mustard. Barring that, a little honey is nice, especially if I've made the brats on the spicier side. I do like Inglehoffer Sweet Hot. Haven't had it in a while. Need to find me some.

51Z262MBD2L._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-9,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

Per the Mustard Museum website:

Silver Springs Beer & Brat Horseradish Mustard

SILVER MEDAL (2008). This is a fantastic strong horseradish flavored brown mustard. Back to back gold medals in the 2001 and 2002 Napa Valley Mustard Competitions and another in 2006. This mustard just screams brats.

I find the Beer & Brat mustard contains a bit too much yellow mustard seed for my tastes. I prefer this mustard that is smoother and has a stronger flavor.

070.jpg

Kevin,

Another one that I love is Stadium Mustard from Cleveland. It has a wonderfully rich flavor that is just as good on brats as on the wieners it was originally served on at Municipal Stadium.

Jim

Gulden's and French's Spicy Brown are always on-hand here.

Jack Daniel's Honey Dijon is interesting as is Koop's Deli Spicy Brown.

I agree with Jim, Silver Springs Brat & Beer is just too much, I use to LOVE it until I tried Bucky Badger then Koop's. Now, Koop's is in my fridge.
Koop%27s%20Mustyard.jpg

Originally posted by Shaun R:
I use a brown mustard with horseradish I think it's made by French's. Nothing fancy, but I love the flavor.
Funny that you guys settled on the same kind I mentioned. I wish they sold Koops or Badger in my area. They just carry the French's with Horseradish. It's great stuff though. I think Beaver brand makes it too.

I wish I could remember who makes this wasabi mustard that I've been using lately.

Before that I was Guldens all the time. 10 for $10 at my local grocery.

Back