Favorite Mustard For Bratwurst

Well since we are talking for Bratwurst i have to go with a Swedish coarse Hot/sweet (just like me)
icon_wink.gif

I am blessed to have a good German butcher in the area (Kocher's in Ridgefield, NJ).
He sells about 6 types of brats along with a load of other types of sausages.
He also carries this mustard (my fave for grilled sausage)...
file_1_3.jpg

Joe: If you can get your hands on a
Lowenbrau.jpg
you will be a happy man. Its one of my favorite German beers.

I'll second the Silver Spring Beer & Brat. Here's a question for others that have tried it: I've had it in smaller grocery store bottles and the huge Sam's Club bottles and the larger bottles always seem to have more horseradish. Anybody else notice that?

I'm a fan of cutting the SS B&B with mayo for ham or pastrami sandwiches.

Also, Beaver Jalapeno mustard is great on anything.

From a Rock Island, IL garage in 1889 to 2008 World Wide Mustard Festival (Napa Valley) winner of best coarse grained mustard...Boetje's
Pronounced Bo-jees

If you like coarse grained, then you gotta try this.

I really want to try the silver springs mustard. I hate to buy 9 bottles of the same thing. I went to silver springs website and they have most of the big chains listed as carrying the chapolte and several other mustards. I have visited all of the chains listed and none have it. However on their site you can order 3 bottles of any variety mustard for 8 bucks. I think I will try that. I want to try the chapolte, jalapeno, and the habanero.

I have just started to develop a taste for mustard the past few years and pretty much just use the big name frenches, or grey poopon. I have had the silver springs beer and brat from sams. Anyhow I have been to 5 chains the past few days and they all have about 8 shelves of mustard and probably 4 of them are filled with frenches, brown and yellow. I never noticed that before.

Originally posted by Brandon N.:
From a Rock Island, IL garage in 1889 to 2008 World Wide Mustard Festival (Napa Valley) winner of best coarse grained mustard...Boetje's
Pronounced Bo-jees

If you like coarse grained, then you gotta try this.

Good choice. I like Boetje's as well but just about any mustard is OK with me as long as it's not overly sweet or one of those fruity concoctions, and there's always a nice big bottle of Koop's yellow mustard in my fridge.

Brad

+1 for the Silver Spring

I also like almost any Dusseldorf-style mustard, or a hot dijon (Ingelhoffer hot) on a brat with saurkraut simmered with sauteed (carmelized) onions.

Wash it down with a few good ice-cold beers and then work outside the next day......

Good news! Jungle Jims was listed on Silver Springs website as selling their mustard. My daughter made it to district championship swimming at Miami university. Which happens to be about 3/4ths the way to jungle jims. After the swimming was over we went and picked up some mustard. I picked up the chapolte, habanero, jalapeno, and a tabasco mustard. Also grabbed some habanero catsup and some sticky fingers Q sauce. I have seen that brand mentioned on the fourms a few times. Now I just have to figure out what I am going to grill tomorrow for the race to go with my mustard. I am thinking Johnsonville brats.

update/ I have used the Chapolte and jalapeno mustards a couple of times now. I like the chapolte but find it a bit mild. I wouldn't mind it having some horse radish. I really like the jalapeno and I haven't opened any others yet. I hate to have a bunch of mustards opened and in the fridge.

Back