Favorite bread for pulled pork

Good pulled pork is the star, so I can't say that I've ever worried about the bread much. Having said that, a cheap, soft bun is just fine as long as you have a good slaw and some sauce. By all means, though, don't limit the pork to bread. Tortillas, as Noe suggested, is a great idea, as well as bbq nachos.

As popular as the classic pork on a bun sandwich is, though, PP piled high on flat cornbread is probably my favorite. You want the right kind of cornbread, and no, I haven't learned to do that yet. All I can say is I know what I like, light and fluffy as opposed to thick and crumbly cornbread, at least as for what I want with bbq. Anyway, top with a dollop of slaw and a some sauce (anything Memphis to Lexington) and you have a "redneck taco" (Martin's) or "Elvis taco" (Tom's Blue Moon BBQ).I just call it good eatin'.
icon_wink.gif

Well - the cook came out great - that is most important. As everyone says, pork butt is such a forgiving piece of meat. Great night getting things started under that huge moon and a few cold beers with my neighbor. I had a temp spike overnight, but otherwise nothing at all out of the ordinary, ready by temp and feel a little early - so held in cooler all wrapped up for a few hours before pulling.

I had a few options available for guests - hamburger, potato, white bread and a crusty type roll. Most devoured the pulled pork sans bread...just piled high as some replies have suggested.

Reheated yesterday in plastic bag /simmering water bath with a shot of apple juice. Fantastic.

Thanks again for all your feedback. I have some good ideas and have convinced my better half to try replicating Kevin's arepas and also to make her own flour tortillas next time around.

Jim

Just another idea, I like to make garlic bread out of whatever bun I'm using for my pulled pork. A lot of times I'll go to the deli and pick up some fresh buns or if time permits my wife will make some homemade buns.

Butter up the buns, add garlic power, garlic salt and some parsley to taste and then brown them up. It adds another nice dimension to the sandwich and toasting the buns give them a little more texture.

Planning old pulled pork for the 4th so I'll post some pictures!

If you are going to make Sandwiches, use Jumbo White Bread Buns. That's what you use.

Anything else is just wrong.

Big Bun...Bunch of Pork.....Good Sauce...Slaw

That's a BBQ Sandwich.

If you have a "Breadsmith" shop anywhere near you, try some of their "Country Buttertop" rolls.

They're:
-BIG (almost too big - for a proper, "hungry-man-size" sammie)
-Soft (sauce/juices soak-in just enough, but doesn't turn into doughy goo)
-Just a touch sweet
-Not chemically synthesized like most commercial white bread...

-or- you could roll it in a wonton skin & deep-fry

The PP that you patiently slaved-over deserves no less!

Back