Head Country
Blues Hog
Stubb's

my LEAST favourites:
sweet baby rays
kc masterpiece
bulls eye
any cheapo boring stuff

I have a buddy that had a rib place back in the mid '80's - early '90'sand I have his sauce recipe.
Bottled sauce - Uncle Bub's Original - has won many awards, including Best of the West last year in Reno. Not sold in stores as far as I know. Online or at Uncle Bub's in Westmont, IL.
I also like Blues Hog and a variety of the mustard sauces.
Just looked in my pantry and there's 25 or 30 commercial sauces in there.
I like and make my own from time to time and like to experiment - get a lot of recipes that I'll make "as is" or "tweet" from Steve Raichlen's books.

I make a modified No.5 sauce that goes with pretty much everything.

Commercial sauces - Blues Hog Original and Tennessee Red mixed about 3 to 1.

Rufus Teague and Williamson Bros. are both great right out of the bottle.

I mix Sweet Baby Ray's with my homemade thin vinegar sauce sometimes if I'm in a hurry.

Still looking for the perfect sauce for comps.
icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Beers:
I notice most people like a sweet sauce, like I said I am not a sauce guy but when I do dip I like a more sour or tangy sauce I guess I must be the odd man out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got one you will like:
1 Part Sweet Baby Rays Original
1/2 part cider vinegar
1/2 part apple juice
brown sugar or mollases to taste

Toss it all in a pot and bring to a high simmer, reduce heat and let it reduce by approx 1/3 to 1/2. It makes a thin tangy sauce with just a little bit of kick, that goes phenomenal with pork and chicken. I serve it on the side and dip the meat in as I eat - HEAVEN!

Kansas City's Cowtown Night Of The Living Barbq Sauce, Rev. Marvin's Original or Hot, Blues Hog Original and Tennesseee Red, Bone Suck'n Sauce, and the others generously cut with apple cider vinegar.
I helped make 30 gallons of sauce for our church BBQ last week and it was Cattlemans with vinegar and a lot of spices - NC Piedmont sauce.

Andy,

I think your sauce sounds good. I try never to add liquid smoke since I'm already smoking, because I over smoke all the time. Jeff's recommendation on Cowtown's Night of the Living dead is my favorite. Otherwise Sweet Baby Rays Original as a base.

Oh and for my dislikes is Head Country, Gates, and KC Masterpiece.

Scott

I usually play around with the #5 recipe until I'm happy with it.

If I have to go store bought, it's usually Sweet Baby Rays, but I cut the sweetness with Frank's or a dash of Tabasco. Straight up, most of them are too sweet for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:

my LEAST favourites:
sweet baby rays
kc masterpiece
bulls eye
any cheapo boring stuff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny cause Bullseye Original is my favorite! I don't find it cheapo at all..To each his own I guess

Famous Daves texas Pit is my favorite for beef ribs, chuck roll and brisket when I want hot & spicey rather than sweet.

I sometimes use higher end sauces when I am in a store that sells them. Otherwise I like Bullseye original and really like the Carolina. I always keep both on hand. I pick them up for under two bucks and when I make extra BBQ to share with friends and family I usually deliver them a bottle along with it.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

There are a lot of great sauces out there. At the moment we are loving some Rufus Teague. I have played with variations starting with the basic #5 sauce. Part of the fun of BBQ is trying all of the different sauces and rubs.

Mike

My favorite bbq sauce for ribs is Sweet Baby Rays.

However, I alternate this with Larry Wolfe's Orange Marmalade Sriracha Sauce when doing chicken pieces. One time I'll go for SBR's and the next time it'll be OMSS.

For a real taste treat when doing pork chops I use McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning then serve Wolfe's Orange Marmalade Sriracha Sauce on the side. I get raves from this.

Dale53

For commercial sauces, I'm still trying to find the "perfect" one, but I think Famous Dave's does some pretty good sauces. We also have a local guy at the Farmer's Market that makes a great BBQ sauce and a great buffalo/garlic sauce. We usually buy his sauces all summer long.
icon_smile.gif

My favorite sauce is my own, but if I go commercial I like a sweet baby rays, if I have time I will doctor it if I cannot make my own.

Back