Faux Potjiekos in a WSM

There is cubed butternut squash and white onion in there. Meat is chicken drumsticks, cuz I had them. I forgot celery and minced garlic.

Broth is 1 cup chicken broth and 1 cup white wine. Seasoned with salt, black pepper, Montreal Chicken and a copy cat of Emeril's Essence.

So it's like stew????
It appears that way, and yet its not really the same. At first I thought it was just an "international stew", but the lack of stirring or agitation has something different going on.

There is very little broth or liquid and the vegetables are not as soft as a stew It was more like braised meat with steamed vegetables. Somebody from Africa would have to chime in, as the cooking technique is totally foreign to me.

You could serve what little broth Is left and mop it up with a bread like French bread I suppose. I'm looking forward to proper potjie pot, as I expect the results to be different than a dutch oven. Lots of different cooks available on the interweb. It was just something different to try and requires a different set of skills.

Carrots
Potatoes
Mushrooms
Butternut Squash
White Onion
Celery
Minced Garlic
Cabbage
Chicken
1 cup Chicken Broth
1 cup White WIne
Salt, Pepper
Montreal Chicken (Emeril's Essence)

Do you brown the meat?
Correct to assume that the Mushrooms & Cabbage go in last, towards the end of the cook

I found this searching for Faux Potjiekos

It does look like a real nice comfort food

edit: Attached a recipe for Potjiekos from the above link. This is right up my ally

Attachments

• Potjiekos (South African Hodgepodge Stew) _ The Domestic Man.pdf
    100.3 KB · Views: 2
I have a friend from Rhodesia who was raised in Zambia and South Africa and he has exposed me to a new food; Potjiekos.
Since I don't have a potjie pot.....yet, I used a Dutch oven to make faux potjiekos. Simple and delicious food; my potjie is in the mail.

No plated pictures, we just couldn't wait.

View attachment 94918View attachment 94919

View attachment 94918View attachment 94919View attachment 94920View attachment 94921View attachment 94922
This looks awesome, B.A. Please let us know how it stacks up against the new potjie when it arrives. Definitely on my to-do list this summer.

Carrots
Potatoes
Mushrooms
Butternut Squash
White Onion
Celery
Minced Garlic
Cabbage
Chicken
1 cup Chicken Broth
1 cup White WIne
Salt, Pepper
Montreal Chicken (Emeril's Essence)

Do you brown the meat?
Correct to assume that the Mushrooms & Cabbage go in last, towards the end of the cook

I found this searching for Faux Potjiekos

It does look like a real nice comfort food

edit: Attached a recipe for Potjiekos from the above link. This is right up my ally
I started with a some olive oil and sauteed the chopped onion. I trimmed off the excess skin and fat from the meat and browned the meat with the onion, adding salt and pepper. Once browned, I seasoned the meat using McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning and the copy cat Emeril's Essence then added the liquids.

Then added Yukon gold potatoes and baby carrots and on to the heat for approximately an hour. The potatoes were in the liquid but the carrots were above it. Heat is low to medium, just simmering, not boiling.

Then I added cubed butternut squash, and back in the heat for another hour. Last I added mushrooms and sliced cabbage. I used purple cabbage cause its what I had on hand. Back on the heat for 30-45 minutes. The ingredient list is flexible depending on your preference. Next time celery and garlic would be included. Trying a chicken and yellow rice tomorrow.

The 70th Anniversary grill pressed into service today. More faux potjiekos.
20240704_150748.jpg

A shot of the chicken, celery, minced garlic, onion, rice, curry, turmeric and other seasonings. Added a little white wine.
20240704_150802.jpg

Cubed Russet potatoes.
20240704_152528.jpg

Finally some mushroom halves.
20240704_152613.jpg

Back