Father's Day Oxtails

Todd NC

TVWBB Pro
I hope all of you fathers out there had a great Father's Day. It was mixed emotions today, my wife and kids gave me a great Father's Day but it was also the first without my dad. Couldn't have asked for a better dad.

Anyway, I've been wanting to try Malcolm Reed's smoked oxtail recipe for a while and today was the day. Thankfully Claudette stayed to the South of us. I wasn't too good at photographing it, but I'll share what I've got. I used a couple of cryovac'd packages of oxtails from a local grocer. After opening them I became aware that they gave you pretty much the whole tail - from the big end all the way to the small.

It was about 5 lb. of oxtails seasoned with Malcolm's hot seasoning. Fuel was KBB with a large chunk of pecan. Shooting for 275.

IMG_4014.jpeg

This was an hour in, just after the flip.

IMG_4016.jpeg

Another hour in and about to begin the braise.

IMG_4017.jpeg

Into the braising liquid. The dutch oven went back on the smoker to cook for a couple more hours at 275 but the temperature probe was playing mind games with me. I wasn't in the mood for games so into a 275 degree oven it went.

IMG_4018.jpeg

Not much on the plate, but this was the second helping and I remembered to take a photo. This was good stuff. Next time I'll look for some oxtails that I can choose out of the meat case. I didn't like the varying sizes even though the smaller ones tasted just as good. Thanks for looking.

IMG_4019.jpeg

Last edited:
This a recipe I would love to have... it looks delicious! Might you share a link to it?

Great job!

Back