Father's Barrel Offset Smoker

MichaelLC

TVWBB Pro
I was out checking on the old homestead today, so thought you all might like to see my father's very custom offset smoker.

Not sure if he had built from plans/guide or just made himself. The cook's pit is about 2x2x2 feet, just deep enough so you're not bending down too much.

Did a couple of hams, poultries, and a full(?) pig or two in it.

Copy of Full Shot.png

Attachments

• Copy of Inside Garbage Can.png
    Copy of Inside Garbage Can.png
    749 KB · Views: 38
  • Copy of Door Closeup.png
    Copy of Door Closeup.png
    698.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Copy of Inside Barrel.png
    Copy of Inside Barrel.png
    565.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Copy of The Front.png
    Copy of The Front.png
    816.2 KB · Views: 36
looks like a barrel full of memories! reminds me of a pit my BIL rigged up - and cooks tremendous barbecue with.

Hey Michael, that's really neat. Thank you for sharing. Just shows how ingenuity can solve a problem. Was your father an inventor or just an all around good tinkerer? Reminds me of my dad and the stuff he used to put to put together.

Hey Michael, that's really neat. Thank you for sharing. Just shows how ingenuity can solve a problem. Was your father an inventor or just an all around good tinkerer? Reminds me of my dad and the stuff he used to put to put together.
Ha, he was an electrical engineer and I'd say 'problem solver'. Often the problems were also of his doing.

Like instead of just using a six-strip, he liked to make his own by splicing a plug into a length of extension cord, wiring that into a gang box and using that.

That is absolutely awesome.
Thanks. We did a service with catered BBQ for just the family earlier this year as that seemed appropriate.

I was looking around and saw those barrels used for heat a lot but not cooking as much; if it was, they were often mounted on a frame.

Did find two barrels stacked on top, laying horizontal.

Thanks. We did a service with catered BBQ for just the family earlier this year as that seemed appropriate.

I was looking around and saw those barrels used for heat a lot but not cooking as much; if it was, they were often mounted on a frame.

Did find two barrels stacked on top, laying horizontal.
Love it. Macgyvered the heck out of it. How well does it run??

I probably should have given it a spin, but haven't yet myself.

Food was always great, great smoke flavor without being overwhelming. I do remember it was always a very low and SLOW process.

Back