Fat Side UP or Fat Side Down: Will be settled tonight!

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
OK. So here we go. As promised in an earlier thread. Tonight I settle once and for all. Scientifically *ahem* positively with no room for debate the most important bbq question of this and the last century.... Fat side up or fat side down?

Prepping and ready to go are these participants. [With apologies I'm a rotten photographer.]

14 lb packer. Will be cooked bottom rack fat side down.

8 lb back cut brisket. To be cooked fat cap up.

Fire gets lit in about 3 hours.......

Last edited:
Fat cap up...I have no facts but just my preference. But I never done fat cap down to compare...maybe I'm been missing out all this time.

Just for some additional info, today I was driving down a county highway and I saw the fellow who operates a road side stand there with barbecue being the attraction.
Stopped and talked for awhile, nice fellow, running a ginormus MeadowBrook Brand smoker on wheels and a smaller version. We struck up a conversation, been smoking professionally for twenty years.
He showed me his cooker and what he had going, two big pork butts for pulled meat. I noticed he had the fat cap, including the hard skin like stuff still on and on top. He said he would not cook them any other way. He said low and slow, showed me his gauge at 225 to 250 on the top of the dome, the grate on these machines is six inches above burning lump charcoal.
I said to him, you know that temp is probably 30 to 50 degrees or more less than where your meat is cooking and he seemed dumbfounded. He had no temp sensor in the meat, went by sight.
So I left it alone, cause I know his spritzer bottle he is spraying on it with apple juice and apple cider vinegar is not touching his meat, just the fat he cuts off after the cook, and I know cause the grate is so close to that lump that he is actually cooking closer to 350 or more and he finishes a 10 lb pork but in 4-5 hours, starting in the morning when he gets in and finished for the lunch crowd.
So I ordered his lunch special, a pulled pork sandwich with his sauce and four of his special ribs, smeared with his special sauce. No bark on anything. Very peppery vinegar sauce.
Everything was dry and tough. The sauce just covered it up a little. You guys would put him out of business in a week.
But the main point is that, that fat cap up did nothing for his meat tenderness wise.
I am sure that if he took that tough skin like layer off and trimmed it down quite a bit he would have been much better off and the fat would possibly render in some.

Last edited:
Hmmm... Ya' know Bill. Maybe I'll just need to repeat this experiment then. After all... With the fat cap on the brisket on the bottom rack it's probably acting as a shield for the fat cap up brisket on the top rack.

After all.. with a question this serious ya' just can't be too careful....

Just got done simmering some smoked habanero pineapple BBQ sauce for tomorrow.......

[Wish I could find some of those country road guys. When one of them hits it they're great.]

Second brisket went on *fat side up* about 45 minutes ago.

Pit was holding steady at 227*. First brisket was at 160*.

Refueled and now I'm just working through the temperature spike - which peaked at 251.

In order to VALIDATE your results, it would require that a fellow forum member make a large
TASTE TEST of the 2 offerings so that any bias that you might have is eliminated.

Now where the devil on Long Island could you find somebody like that.
smiley-face-journey_zps74c1b138.jpg

Wouldn't a fair test be the exact same cuts of meat right next to each other on the same rack? That said, this is still interesting and I'll be eager to hear your results! Thus far I have done all my pork butts on the top rack fat side down to 'protect' the meat..with an aluminum drip pan on the lower rack catching drippings..who knows. They have been pretty consistently good that way, however each butt has had a few - maybe 2 or 3 touch sections or muscles, with the rest being great. I keep saying I'm going to try the same experiment, and then end up defaulting to the same old way...ha

Well... As the saying goes Man plans and Heaven laughs..... Started this thread off with the best of intentions but I'm afraid I have the worst sort of BBQ news to report. Personally I'm still recovering.

Around 2PM with the pit temps stabilized and brisket #1 around 163 I went out to buy beer and bread. About a half hour later my cell phone rings. It's neighbors letting me know there's a fire on my patio. The smoker is on fire what should they do? I tell them to throw water on the coals. I was on my way home anyhow.

I arrive about 5 minutes later. The door had fallen off of my WSM. The fire in the pit was going full bore and the top brisket was completely in flames. As in I mean the brisket itself was on fire.

I've had some failures before but this one hurts.

I scrambled to pull together some braised briskets since I had people coming over in about 5 hours. (Got it done and people were gracious but it was a disappointment.)

Still haven't had time to asses the damage. I've lost at least one probe and the fan cord to my DigiQ is fried. Not sure how much more damage....

A moment of silence please.

Last edited:
Oh geezus! I could not even imagine the horror. At least nothing else caught on fire! What do you think happened?

I'm sorry to hear. But at least your house didn't burn down or someone getting burn.

Oh geezus! I could not even imagine the horror. At least nothing else caught on fire! What do you think happened?

Out of habit I keep the pit away from the house and on a stone patio. Guess now I know why.

All I can figure is I didn't have the latch on the pit door locked. Murphy's law being what it is the door waited until I was out of the house and not watching to fall. Naturally it didn't fail when I had a rack or two of ribs in there.... no.... it needed to fail when I had $100 worth of meat.... of course.

Guess I'll need to go research a door latch mod.

Clearly fat up vs fat down is a question not to be answered.

Sorry to hear the bad news, and the debate continues fat up or down who knows. Either way works fine if one knows what he or she is looking for. Better luck next time, thank god no one was hurt or house on fire.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunate...I'm glad that no one was hurt or any serious property damage. Bodily damage can not be replaced, grills and grill toys can be replaced much easier than a house or portion of a house. Great to hear that you have good neighbors.

Back