Fat separator

Their coffee maker taste tests were a joke.

Yup. A complete joke. They actually liked some $300 glorified Mr. Coffee gizmo thingy called a Mocamaster or some such. : )

However, they did righteously recommend (i) my Baratza Encore burr grinder, (ii) a Bodum french press (which I use), and (ii) my Zojirushi coffee carafe. So they do have that going for them.

Jay -- maybe brew up some decaf...?

Last edited:
Perhaps I should suggest this: How many of you think ATK is so great you subscribe for $40/year?
I am a long time subscriber to both Cook’s Illustrated and Cook’s Country magazines. I watch every new episode of America’s Test Kitchen and Cook’s Country on PBS for free. Yes, I dislike the fact that old content is behind a pay wall. Good news is that most of it comes straight from the magazines I pay for and keep around in my collection. Often times bloggers will repost ATK recipes and ratings and you can get to the info that way.

I like everything about them except the pay wall. And I’m not a coffee drinker, so I couldn’t care less about their coffeemaker review! 😂

I am pretty much in the same canoe with Chris, I no longer subscribe but that was not a content issue by any means, I stopped several print magazines at the same time. Yeah, the paywall is kind of inconvenient but, I can’t miss what I can’t see.as for the coffee maker, I know three people that went out and bought the Moccamaster five minutes after that issue dropped! A long time friend, my brother and Larry. None of them have had second thoughts about the purchase in the least. So, it’s fair to say, many don’t agree with you Jay. I have a far greater issue with spectrum TV but, that does not belong on this forum. They are just money grubbing thieves no matter what!

Actually my biggest issue is with PBS not ATK. Lets just say I am done with PBS. Don't even bother to turn it on anymore. Used to contribute to them, and since I can't be in front of a TV all day to catch shows I like(d) I would stream backdated shows. Now they've shut that off. So PBS can kiss my royal patoot

I like the concept, and also am wondering about the debris capture. I see some that have a sieve in the top but, not all of them.
the small sieve on the top is way to small when I'm using a roasting pan.

When I'm roasting turkey, I strain the drippings and fat using my largest SS sieve over a two quart pyrex. I've tried a one quart but it drips out the sides. I deglaze the roaster with a half a bottle of chardonnay in the the roasting pan. I cook the wine down and once all the fond has released I pour that through the sieve and then pour this into my fat separator and use it as the base for my gravy. The glass separator works OK, but a bottom drain might work better.

here's my current setup:

20221018_092638.jpg

I thought deglazing was to get debris? I never thought about getting rid of it. I understand about removing big chunks and bone fragments.

I thought deglazing was to get debris? I never thought about getting rid of it. I understand about removing big chunks and bone fragments.
You’re right, Im thinking some of the larger debris, if you roast over vegetables, you will still have some particulate to deal with. The “Fond” will dissolve, mostly but, there’s always some that refuses.

You’re right, Im thinking some of the larger debris, if you roast over vegetables, you will still have some particulate to deal with. The “Fond” will dissolve, mostly but, there’s always some that refuses.
Yeah, my SS strainer isn't that fine of a mesh. It gets the larger chunks out. The wine dissolves most of the fond into flavor potion.

Back