Fastest way to snuff or put out a WSM?

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
I did a 5 hour cook on my WSM 18 yesterday and wanted to save all the leftover coals. I removed the center section and put the lid directly on the base (figuring less air) and closed all the vents but 5 hours later it was still at 200°. In the past I just closed all the vents but it also took too many hours to shut down. I am thinking of buying a sheet of steel to put over the bottom section to snuff it faster. I searched but could not find answer. If this has been answered please point to thread.

Attachments

• 20210724_175100.jpg
    20210724_175100.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210724_175104.jpg
    20210724_175104.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 4
Something must be out of round because mine usually takes an hour or so to cool to touch.
Do you put the top and bottom together like I do? They are round and I made sure lined up. I was amazed how long this thing kept keeping temp.

Do you put the top and bottom together like I do? They are round and I made sure lined up. I was amazed how long this thing kept keeping temp.
I have done that egg configuration when I wanted to let the residual heat clean my grates.
What brand or type of charcoal are you using? Reason I ask is K Pro is one that I could never snuff out no matter what I did.
That stuff just burned and burned till ash.

I have done that egg configuration when I wanted to let the residual heat clean my grates.
What brand or type of charcoal are you using? Reason I ask is K Pro is one that I could never snuff out no matter what I did.
That stuff just burned and burned till ash.
I do believe it is Kingsford Pro. Wow, would never have thought the type of coal mattered.

Sounds like they haven't changed the recipe.
Last time I used that was prolly 10 - 15 years ago.
I liked it, but if I couldn't reuse it ( like other charcoal ) I got away from it.
Grilling is one thing but when I use my WSM I always load my charcoal ring to the top.

I leave my 18.5" WSM fully assembled, just close all vents, and the temp drops below 100*F within maybe 90 minutes. I assume some charcoal deep in the pile may still be hot.

Obviously, enough air is getting in there to keep the fire burning. You say it did this when you left the cooker fully assembled, too. Maybe poor fitting vent dampers on both lid and bowl?

I have a 14 in WSM and I set the lower section inside my kettle and and put it out that way. I suspect I have an air leak as well since mine takes a long time to put out as well.

Now that you mention it, it does seem like the WSM takes a bit longer to go cold since I switched from KBB over to K Pro from Costco.

K Pro is supposed to burn hotter and faster than KBB and with less ash. And is supposed to be the Kingsford charcoal that is adapted for use in lower oxygen kamado cookers.

So maybe that means logically that a K Pro fire would take longer to snuff than a KBB fire?

I think someone needs to do some scientific testing on this.

Last edited:

Back