Family Picture

Most paints do not require primer these days. I don't normally use it, but if you do, use stuff rated as high heat. Rustoleum High Heat ultra makes Copper, Silver and Black and work good. If you want more color, then there are other options but much of the time they are not gloss or even semi gloss. If so, all you have to do is put on a couple coats of high heat clear over them. The red lids in my pictures was Red Matte, but the gloss really makes it shine.

I know you don't have US amazon, but this is good high heat paint for grills. The ULTRA varieties are the Semi Gloss versions. The regular high heat are a matte color.
Thank you again, I'll check my local hardware store first, they have a good selection of spray paints. And it started snowing again 😳

Attachments

• 829C98A2-34ED-40F5-B82D-9D4D501AEF6E.jpeg
    829C98A2-34ED-40F5-B82D-9D4D501AEF6E.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 15
Well, good luck. I feel for you, but we are definitely not out of our snow season yet either. We are supposed to get some more Tuesday night.
Keep us updated on how the project goes.

Well, good luck. I feel for you, but we are definitely not out of our snow season yet either. We are supposed to get some more Tuesday night.
Keep us updated on how the project goes.
Bruce, do you suggest that I leave the inside of the lid as it is? And can the grate be sandblasted also?
Regards Tom

Larry, we are talking about a Q grill here.... Right Tom???
For a Q grill, yes, you can sand blast the inside. They come from the factory clean aluminum on the inside. It is not necessary though. For a personal grill, it will just get black from use after a dozen or so cooks anyway. But if you don't have to pay extra, why not. And as Timothy mentioned, DO NOT paint the inside.

The grates are likely porcelain coated cast iron. You would likely wind up stripping the porcelain coating off which might not be a bad thing. But, if you do, I would be careful that you get it all. Otherwise the left over coating will eventually flake off and wind up in your food. I would probably just clean up the grates by hand as best as you can.

Larry, we are talking about a Q grill here.... Right Tom???
For a Q grill, yes, you can sand blast the inside. They come from the factory clean aluminum on the inside. It is not necessary though. For a personal grill, it will just get black from use after a dozen or so cooks anyway. But if you don't have to pay extra, why not. And as Timothy mentioned, DO NOT paint the inside.

The grates are likely porcelain coated cast iron. You would likely wind up stripping the porcelain coating off which might not be a bad thing. But, if you do, I would be careful that you get it all. Otherwise the left over coating will eventually flake off and wind up in your food. I would probably just clean up the grates by hand as best as you can.
Bruce,
Yes, we were talking about the Q :) I'll check if I will leave the inside of the lid as is or sandblast it.
In regards to the grate I think I can clean it up. Will post pictures of lid, before and after.
And since I stupidly mentioned spring.. They've now issued a snow alert, apparently it will snow 2 to 6 inches tonight :oops:

Last edited:
He just thought it was another thread about a Genesis grill. I make mistakes like that all the time. A lot of times, you check the last couple posts and don't realize what the exact subject matter is regarding. In fact, this started out in the gas grill section, not in the Q grill section and was discussing Coal grills and genesis grills to start with. Somewhere it switched to a Q grill.

Unless a guy spends a lot of time reading back into threads, it is not always evident what the specific topic of discussion really is regarding. And even then, sometimes it is hard to differentiate.

He just thought it was another thread about a Genesis grill. I make mistakes like that all the time. A lot of times, you check the last couple posts and don't realize what the exact subject matter is regarding. In fact, this started out in the gas grill section, not in the Q grill section and was discussing Coal grills and genesis grills to start with. Somewhere it switched to a Q grill.

Unless a guy spends a lot of time reading back into threads, it is not always evident what the specific topic of discussion really is regarding. And even then, sometimes it is hard to differentiate.
Very true in my experience as well.

Sorry for the confusion, I just (mis)used my own thread since I got ahold of the Q the day after posting my "family" picture. It was in all fearness an addition to the picture in that post. A question though, is the Q not defined as a gas grill? @Bruce, the lid is removed and ready for blasting 👍🏻 And maybe I need to find a Q thread for the next postings...

Regards Tom

Tom, it is a gas grill although they do make an Electric Q (Q140/Q1400). But there is a section reserved for the Q grill models. No big deal either way. Many in the gas grill section use Q grills and are very familiar with them. There is lots of posts on them in the Gas Grill section as well. Just a little education on the TVWBB forum overall.

Tom, it is a gas grill although they do make an Electric Q (Q140/Q1400). But there is a section reserved for the Q grill models. No big deal either way. Many in the gas grill section use Q grills and are very familiar with them. There is lots of posts on them in the Gas Grill section as well. Just a little education on the TVWBB forum overall.

Thanks, I searched the forum and found the Q section just before you posted 👍🏻

Back