Family Get Together

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
My wife and I took a little trip to visit family at my parents down in MS, but regarding the food.....sorry, you'll have to use your imagination. I was too busy to take but one pic. Just sharing in case some might take something away.

My sisters, aunts, and cousin helped with side dishes and Mom and Dad made a couple pots of gumbo. Our little 18.5" wsm really came in handy though, and that's really the point of my post. Thankfully it fits nicely on my Hitchhaul because my wife says that's where it's supposed to ride.

Thursday night: smoked a couple of ten pound pork butts with the ATC overnight and they both turned out great.

Friday afternoon: three chickens for chicken salad. It all eventually got et.

Saturday afternoon: SIX FULL SLABS OF SPARES was a huge success. These were IBP, which come with the breast bone removed, and I rolled and skewered them. Not quite as easy to roll as st Louie's, but they cooked very evenly and all six got done at about the same time. No jerky bark, moist, and tender in just over six hours, water in the pan.

Sunday: cut some pecan wood to bring home. Most all of my extended family there were gone so it was down to heating up leftovers for supper. I noticed there was a couple of ribs left and maybe a pound of pork.

Monday: loaded up and hit the road for a safe trip back home.

Last edited:

Back