Fajitas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Provance

TVWBB Super Fan
Gonna try to smoke fajitas this afternoon. Ran a search on them, but not a lot of info.

Wondering what internal temp to shoot for on the skirt steak. Has anyone tried smoking them? What were the results? Again, looking to smoke and not grill.

Mike

As far as I know, I don't think you can smoke skirt steak and come up with anything worth eating. It's the wrong type of muscle, and doesn't really have any fat, either. I've never seen any recommendation for cooking it farther than medium rare. It's such a thin cut, I don't know how you could even fit a probe in to accurately measure it. Now if you just quickly char the outside, it's a great tasting piece of meat, but I really don't think it can be smoked successfully.

A couple weeks ago, I got a chuck roll and rubbed it with salt pepper and a bunch of taco seasoning. I then smoked it to temp (195) and shredded it. I did it the day before the event so I refrigerated it until the next day. A couple hours before it was needed, I sprinkled on a bit more taco seasoning and heated it up in the oven. We served that instead of the traditional fajita meat. It was a hit.

H.J, Have always gone with the admonition, "When in doubt, whup it out." Only problem, ain't got a Kettle to whup out!

Friend of the better half wanted me to make fajitas for a wedding. Told her I don't grill, I smoke.

Dang! They are expensive! Kind of doing them like I do ribs. Even though everbody with their right mind has told me to grill them and not smoke them.

Jury is out on the end result, they are on the Bullet now.

Mike

H.J.P. Any other time it would be a reason. Cain't make it work this time.

Marinated the 1.5 lb. skirt for about 3 hrs in a lil of Newmans o. oil and sum leftover Wishbone Italian.

Smoked at 225 for 2 hrs. Son came over to eat some Butt that I had already made. When he came over, foiled em, and added some A. J. and opened up the bottom vents, kinda got engrossed in the confab and never checked the temp. After an hour, I was doin 190. Took skirt out of the foil and backed the Bullet down. Smoked for another hr and a half. Wanted to go for 2 hrs, but the Boss came home, said pull em she was meeting her friend.

Part of the skirt sliced clean, part didn't. Tribute it to too high temp in the foil. Either way, Beat the H out of the hot skillet jitas I have had in the Mexcun joints. Too much flavor. Also smoked whole Vidalia onion and 2 Bell Peppers while I wuz doin the skirt.

Can do it better next time. But either way, smoked beats grilled.

Mike

Smoked beats grilled? Apples and oranges, had it both ways myself and I much prefer quickly seared, and I like my skirt done medium-rare. But what really matters is you enjoyed the experience and the results, congratulations!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Provance:
[qb] Also smoked whole Vidalia onion and 2 Bell Peppers while I wuz doin the skirt.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Wow! Those sound good!

FYI, this is how a buddy of mine from Texas taught me how to make fajitas. They turn out real good.

-finely chopped garlic
-finely chopped onion
-finely serrano or jalapeno pepper (optional)
- chopped cilantro
-salt
- black pepper
-chili powder
-cumin
-beer or tequila and lime.

Dust both sides of your skirt steak with salt first, then the chili powder and cumin.

lay them flat on the counter and sprinkle with cilantro, onions, garlic, and peppers if you like them.

Using the flat, back edge of a knife (ie. non-sharpenened edge) or a meat tenderizer, pound the heck outta those skirt steaks. You're breaking down the fibers and pounding the onions etc into the meat.

To make this phase neater, cover with plastic wrap first or do it in a ziplock bag. Otherwise, onions fly all over your kitchen.

Keep beating your meat until it flattens out real good and those stringy fibers break down a bit.

Put the meat and whatever spices and onions etc that don't stick into a bowl or ziplcok bag. Add just a teeny bit of beer or tequila and lime -- just enough to moisten them up a bit, but not so much to wash off all the spices.

Fire up the grill. Cook over high heat to just beyond rare. Take them off, slice against the grain, and serve with all the usual fajita suspects.

I use this recipe every time now. It has yet to let me down!

When I make fajitas i just put the skirt steak in the smoker for about 1 hour while i'm cooking something else. This gives it a nice smoky flavor but does not cook the meat. Then I cook the fajitas as i normally would and they come out great!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back