F.Y.I. Smoke Wood...

Tim Johnson

TVWBB Super Fan
It hit me the other day thaat I should'nt have to buy smoke wood. Seems to me that theres lots 'o' wood around.

Got in touch with a freind of mine that owns an excavating company that does all the lot clearings. I now have a great supply of oak, hickory, apple, and maple. Yje best part is the price... FREE...

My motto has always been;
Why pay for something you can get for free...

Peace all
icon_cool.gif

You lucky rascal!

The next time the hurricanes knock over trees in my brother-in-law's yard, I'm going to help myself to some of it.

(My lot only has two oaks and two palms, and the oaks aren't big enough to do anything with if they did blow over.)

From the Resources page:

"The best smoke wood is free smoke wood! Check with local orchards, golf courses, and tree trimming services, especially after storms. Tell them that your hobby is barbecue and you're looking for a few split pieces of wood, and you're likely to get some for free."

Regards,
Chris

Tim, I work at a construction company and run a tub grinder. A machine that grinds the trees into mulch. I only buy what isn't native around here.

I don't know how much of those wild vines you get in the woods up around your way. I live in ohio around here the woods are filled whith them Most are wild grape vine. Man talk about something good on pork. I hear it is good on lamb also. Really gives a sweet flavor probobly more than maple. I was stationed in North Carolina about 20 years ago and I remember seeing it there. Maybe not as much as around here though.

Like I said I don't know how prevelant up your way but in the midwest it has killed a lot of trees. If you have these vines in your area I would look up wild grape vine and try to identify it. It makes great smokewood. Like you said nothing is better than free. Not to mention I haven't seen many places that sell grape vine.

Anyhoo happy hunting.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Be Careful..some of those vines could be poison ivy. They can get as big as a mans arm and have somewhat of a hairy vine with leaves-of-three let it be. I learned the hard way as a kid.

Back