Experimenting with lump

Daris

TVWBB Member
Was at a party and the host asked me to grill some burgers and dogs. The host had a huge load of mesquite lump going. I had to admit, it was probably the quite tasty for a budget frozen patty. Yesterday, I picked up a couple rib eyes and some mesquite lump. The steaks were excellent. I think I'm going to experiment with lump more.

The only lump I've ever used was Royal Oak. I've used a couple of bags of it and love the flavor. I'd like to use it more myself. Maybe after I used up my stockpile of K blue I'll buy some more.

I use KBB in my WSMs and kettle for slow cooks. I use RO lump in my kettle for fast cooks. Lump burns hotter, which is a good thing for searing steaks and cooking burgers.

Bob

Bob,

I have read that lump burns hotter. I have a BBQ Guru. It keeps the temps right where I want them. I'm wondering, have you used an ATC with lump?

Daris

I use Wicked Good lump for grilling direct. Yes it burns hotter and as Bob said, it’s great for steaks, burgers, anything that requires “really hot”. I’ve never tried it on my WSM but the folks at BBQ Guru use it for smokes with the ATC’s. The only issue I have with the Wicked Good is some chunks are really large so I have a dedicated tree stump and hatchet in the back yard to deal with that. Other than that, I like it over the others I’ve tried. Good Luck!

Lump burns hotter if it gets the same amount of air flow. You could choke down the lump fire and get almost the same burning time for your cooker. In a chimney you might get all burnt to ashes in 20 min. In a air controlled smoker you can get 20h+ in one load.

Originally posted by Daris:
Bob, I'm wondering, have you used an ATC with lump?
I don't have an ATC system. I don't have a temperature control problem with briquettes or lump.

Originally posted by Wolgast:
Lump burns hotter if it gets the same amount of air flow. You could choke down the lump fire and get almost the same burning time for your cooker.
Very true. If I start a pile of lump in my kettle, and let it burn with the lid off, it gets really hot, perfect for grilling.

Part of the reason for my fuel choice is economic. I have a lot of KBB that I've gotten on sale, I also put a lot more cooking time on my WSMs. I save the more expensive RO lump for when I need that extra temperature kick in my kettle.

Bob

I was thinking that I might be able to choke the air flow down, with my DigiQ DX2. I going to have to buy some ribs and another bag of lump and give it a try. I think there are fillers in briquettes, which I could do without, given I buy good quality lump.

I've been cooking exclusively with lump for a good long while. Probably 10 years now. I only use hardwood briquettes for the minion starter coals.

Either whether using the Performer or the WSM.

I have done a lot of lump cooks of all types on the WSM and the Digi Q controls temps for you just fine. I do break up bigger chucks and I also take care to either stack into the ring to reduce air pockets or just shake the ring well to settle the coals before lighting. Air pockets can cause spikes.

I like the flavor lump adds all buy itself even without smoke wood added.

Good luck keep experimenting. Lump is more expensive than briquettes. Experiment and look for a feed supply or restaurant supply that will allow you to buy say 10 bags or more at a time at a discount.

I use Humprey's pretty much exclusively as I both really like it and can get it at several feed stores near me. Lump charcoal is used for other purposes (blacksmithing, farm use, etc). I can typically get a 20 lb. bag of lump at half the price from typical supply stores this way.

Just finished an overnight butt cook for the 4th with a full ring of Wicked Good lump and 8 TJ's Hardwood Briquettes for the MM start. Cook lasted just about 18 hours with my Auber maintaining 225 the whole time.
I was able to shut down the WSM, fill a chimney with what was un-used in the ring and cook ABT's and pineapples on the Performer with it.

Been using lump almost exclusively on my Performer for a while now. I'll use briqs when I have no lump, and in the WSM. Too much ash with briqs, IMHO. And I just feel like lump is a bit more "natural" (ie: no fillers, binders, etc).

would most of you fairly say that lump adds flavor to say a steak compared to kinsford blue?? I honestly dont think kingsford adds much flavor even compared to gas grills. Do you?

I get unpredictable results with the lump I get local (Cowboy) in the WSM so I have reverted back to 100% hardwood biquettes. Based on what others are saying about the positive results from lump (other brands) I have to say it must be the Cowboy brand that I dislike vs lump in general.

nakedwhiz.com does a great job of testing that's an interesting read.

The brands I understand are the best are Wicked Good, Humphreys, and although smaller pieces, Ozark Oak. The thing I dislike about Mesquite lump is all the sparking.

Dwain,

I've tried Cowboy a couple times, and if that was the only lump I could get, I'd stick with briqs. It doesn't burn well and sparks like the 4th of July.

I use Royal Oak and really like it. I've never tried Wicked Good or Ozark Oak, but they are pretty universally liked among those who have.

Corey,

I haven't used Kingsford Blue much the past 5 years, but between Royal Oak lump and briqs, I don't think there is much- if any- flavor difference.

I dislike the flavor of KBB and Kcomp. To me mesquite lump by itself imparts more smoke than say oak lump. That being said, it's really good with beef. I find different "natural" briqs have different flavors and have my preferences. I like the lighter ones for pork and chicken.

To each their own.

I use the "Best of the West" mesquite lump from Sams for grilling and I love what it does for steaks and burgers. A 40lb bag is $14.

Back