EX6 or RT700 (OR 1250)

Mac you purchased a killer smoker and I don’t think the price is even worth worrying about.
I’m happy with my SmokeFire and I think the $1000 I spent was well worth it.

I’m a huge Weber fan and they have gone way above and beyond for me for a long tim with customer service.

I personally am very happy that they upgraded parts that couldn’t take the heat.

I do t want to speak for anyone, I hate that others are still having issues. I think on this forum and the other we are just surprised when you have the new auger and welded chute, upgraded to the latest software and still have problems because mine and many others have been perfect 100% of the time since then.

Mac you purchased a killer smoker and I don’t think the price is even worth worrying about.
I’m happy with my SmokeFire and I think the $1000 I spent was well worth it.

I’m a huge Weber fan and they have gone way above and beyond for me for a long tim with customer service.

I personally am very happy that they upgraded parts that couldn’t take the heat.

I do t want to speak for anyone, I hate that others are still having issues. I think on this forum and the other we are just surprised when you have the new auger and welded chute, upgraded to the latest software and still have problems because mine and many others have been perfect 100% of the time since then.
I think there are so many moving parts and so many electrical parts in a SF that it’s easy to realize many people are lucky and have no issues while others have problems.
I started with a Gen 2 and I’ve had fireballs in the bottom, cooks that I could not get temps above 375, drops in temp by 100 degrees followed by inferno temps and complete burner flame out followed by Weber application notifications sent to my phone 2 days after the cook was over. But I do like the flavor profile and it’s fun to play with. Like I have said before, and others have said, “I” can’t trust this grill but I also have several other grill I can fall back to when needed.
I even got an email from Weber several months ago asking me if I was willing to talk to their tech support about improvements. But no follow up yet. I called tech support and gave them a similar list as I stated above. They said to call them back on individual issues as they happen.lol
I did not push it. But their past support on my other Weber products was always stellar.
But yes, many take criticism of grills they own personally. If you’re talking about 2 identical offset smoker with no electronics and one person is holding perfect temps and creating perfect BBQ and another person is struggling…well that’s another story as it’s most likely one person has better fire control judgment over the other.

Well Lew no offense there are probably hundreds of people who had problems maybe more you have a good experience that does not mean people don't have issues and maybe your lucky to be one of them but I don't see the need to bash anyone who has issues. You if I remember don't use it for high heat which was the whole point of the design. Others who do and not quoting anyone out of respect have parts disintegrating cause they actually do use it that way and its all great that Weber is replacing those parts with better parts but that should have been done from the start. To me like most here I have multiple grills not a Smokefire it would piss me off to no end if I had bought this as an all in one grill got rid of my other grills and then when I had issues wait for parts replacement and have no grill to cook on.

The Smokefire for some people who love them feel the need to defend them nothing wrong with that. I out of curiousity surf another Weber Smokefire forum, there is a member there again who has not had any problems basically calls anyone who does a moron not talking about parts that can be replaced like the auger or whatever. Same poster in regards to a post where the parts are disintegrating tries to blame it on the grill not covered or a humid climate or the grill covered I forget and of course this person lived in a climate where humidity was not an issue.

I also would add who cares what you do with your money if Mac wants to spend more money to get what he is happy with so be it.

Amazing how people get so passionate with grills love my Silver C my performer and my UDS. My neighbors would think I am crazy except for a few of them do have Webers not the old ones so they paid 700 or more whatever got plenty of events that I have gone to other homes they got the low end gassers and totally happy. In 4 years in the trash buy another one.
I don’t think you read the part where I recommended the 1250. I’m a big Recteq fan. I responded to two posts that implied that Bruno, me, Fletch and others weren’t telling Mac the truth and I take offense with that.

I started with a Gen 2 and I’ve had fireballs in the bottom, cooks that I could not get temps above 375, drops in temp by 100 degrees followed by inferno temps and complete burner flame out followed by Weber application notifications sent to my phone 2 days after the cook was over. But I do like the flavor profile and it’s fun to play with. Like I have said before, and others have said, “I” can’t trust this grill but I also have several other grill I can fall back to when needed.
Are you using drip pans on greasy low and slow cooks? Problems getting to high temps can be wind. If winds were greater than about 10 mph were blowing at the back of the grill, I had this problem numerous times. I turned the grill 90 degrees and hit temps within minutes. Massive temp drops and flameouts can often be pellet bridging. Is your finger guard still installed? If not, you might want to try another brand of pellets. Dropping 100 degrees then way overshooting can mean the constant turning of the auger when the temps fall below finally vibrated the bridge loose before the fire went out but then the controller is telling the auger and fan to run like mad to catch up, so way overshoots.

Is the unit I got spendy, sure, I do not find the price unreasonable though. Not sure how you can simply state a pellet unit would put our inferior food. I've had some great bbq at competitions made on pellet units. I guess I'll see what I can do with one soon.
Mac, when I looked at the 1250 I looked at what you get compared to the 700. The 1250 is more than worth the extra money. Enjoy that grill.

Are you using drip pans on greasy low and slow cooks? Problems getting to high temps can be wind. If winds were greater than about 10 mph were blowing at the back of the grill, I had this problem numerous times. I turned the grill 90 degrees and hit temps within minutes. Massive temp drops and flameouts can often be pellet bridging. Is your finger guard still installed? If not, you might want to try another brand of pellets. Dropping 100 degrees then way overshooting can mean the constant turning of the auger when the temps fall below finally vibrated the bridge loose before the fire went out but then the controller is telling the auger and fan to run like mad to catch up, so way overshoots.
I have not done any big greasy cooks.
But even when cooking a few ABTs I did put steamer pan lid on lower grid and cooked on top grid. Most all of my cooks have been done on upper grate like this.
Yes, I did remove the finger guard and I have used 3 different brands of pellets including the Weber at twice price.
I’m pretty good at electronics and mechanical things, but this grill has been very finicky. A 10 mph wind should not shut down a $1200 grill? I’m sorry, that’s just crazy. But mine is fairly protected on my deck.
I’m only honestly explaining my issues.
I never, in my wildest dreams, expected this pellet grill to operate perfectly. Like I have said before, so many moving parts and so much electronics. It’s just the nature of what it is.
I do however think people reading this forum should know about potential issues that still exist with Gen 2.
I’m not bashing the grill or Weber. It is what it is.

I'd like to add that during this purchase consideration, I went from considering a guru shotgun to a stumps smoker, then realized, well, I already have charcoal units in my WSMs. Then decided give pellets a try, and considered Traeger pro 34, the smokefire, and RTs.
After looking back on it all, I think it was the right choice.

At some point, a stumps may be added to the collection but that's probably a few years out at this point.

Man thinking about smokers can make you nutty. Hahah

Your Smokefire still has problems but there are thousands of us that don't have your issues. My EX6 is 17 months old and has never lost me a cook. An individual disgruntled owner's assessment is always biased so you're not shooting
straight. We get it. You prefer charcoal. Go for it.
An individual “disgruntled” assessment?? Where have you been Lew?? Since it debuted, I can guarantee the Smokefire has had more returns and bad press than probably any other grill, on the market, EVER. Spare me.

Do people not understand what “shooting straight” means? Have we never gotten a basic education? I am ABSOLUTELY shooting everyone straight; this is my experience. No holding back, no making excuses, it is what it is. To say I’m not shooting people straight implies that I’m a liar, I’m making it up. Holds no water, next.

The fact people get so mad about ones feedback is shocking. I wound question 17 months of no issues far before I question someone stating the issues they’ve had. Smokefire has a track record, and 17 months issue free doesn’t follow that. If that’s accurate, congrats, you and the Weber test group got the only good ones made. The rest of us in the real world haven’t.

Mind blowing

An individual “disgruntled” assessment?? Where have you been Lew?? Since it debuted, I can guarantee the Smokefire has had more returns and bad press than probably any other grill, on the market, EVER. Spare me.

Do people not understand what “shooting straight” means? Have we never gotten a basic education? I am ABSOLUTELY shooting everyone straight; this is my experience. No holding back, no making excuses, it is what it is. To say I’m not shooting people straight implies that I’m a liar, I’m making it up. Holds no water, next.

The fact people get so mad about ones feedback is shocking. I wound question 17 months of no issues far before I question someone stating the issues they’ve had. Smokefire has a track record, and 17 months issue free doesn’t follow that. If that’s accurate, congrats, you and the Weber test group got the only good ones made. The rest of us in the real world haven’t.

Mind blowing
Mac had made his decision and posted it. Question asked and decision made. He chose the 1250 and you jumped in. Your post about "No BS" clearly said that those of us who have Smokefires were bullshitting him. I took exception to that accusation not your criticism of the grill. I posted that on the thread. I never said I never had issues but that I didn't lose a cook. The idea that I never reported issues is flat wrong. I've posted the gyrations I've gone through to save cooks on this forum. I did that frequently last winter. If my post upset you that's how it is but I don't lie and I won't allow anyone to say I did without a challenge. I think it's time for us to put this to bed and agree to disagree.

I'd like to add that during this purchase consideration, I went from considering a guru shotgun to a stumps smoker, then realized, well, I already have charcoal units in my WSMs. Then decided give pellets a try, and considered Traeger pro 34, the smokefire, and RTs.
After looking back on it all, I think it was the right choice.

At some point, a stumps may be added to the collection but that's probably a few years out at this point.

Man thinking about smokers can make you nutty. Hahah
I’ve been nuts for years 🤪 There’s way too many to choose from and I think you made a great choice. If you decide to try to grill on it at some point too, pick up a GrillGrate searing station it really helps ‘regular’ pellet grills with grilling. For an easy to use smoker, I’ve had many of the ’regular’ pellet grills and there are a lot of good ones out there and everything I hear RecTeq is one of them. Traegers are fine too, they’re just overpriced for what you really get.

I’ve been nuts for years 🤪 There’s way too many to choose from and I think you made a great choice. If you decide to try to grill on it at some point too, pick up a GrillGrate searing station it really helps ‘regular’ pellet grills with grilling. For an easy to use smoker, I’ve had many of the ’regular’ pellet grills and there are a lot of good ones out there and everything I hear RecTeq is one of them. Traegers are fine too, they’re just overpriced for what you really get.
Yeah I tend to overthink most things to boot. Lol.
I've just worked very hard on the craft and to put out a certain product; would hate to take a step back. Former Harry Soo student, and was being mentored by a respectable bbq restaurateur here in so cal (Garden Grove).

Here are some pics of my previous cooks utilizing the WSMs. 20161218_174753.jpg20161218_173402.jpg20171001_104831.jpg20171001_183455.jpg20180107_193625.jpg20180202_121449.jpg20170514_121510.jpg

Attachments

• 20171001_183459.jpg
    20171001_183459.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20171005_193544.jpg
    20171005_193544.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
@Mac LA our RT-700 treated us to these Chuck Short Ribs today and we were delighted by the taste :). As Lew and others have said; you're gonna love your RT!

View attachment 42765

View attachment 42766

View attachment 42767
Nice!
The only thing I was worried about was not achieving the smoke profile I'm used to. I do feel much more at ease that I could place wood chunks on the cast iron deflector plate that is fitted on the 1250. Or I can utilize a smoke tube.
I can't wait to get something going on once I receive it.

Last edited:
I have the 700. For ribs and butts I like to keep it at 225° for the extra smoke. It's gives off quite a bit of TBS at 225°. I run Lumber Jack 100% hickory all the time. I have a smoke tube but stopped using it. Felt like it but off a bitter smoke. I love mine

Attachments

• 20220116_121229.jpg
    20220116_121229.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220101_170724.jpg
    20220101_170724.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 14
I have the 700. For ribs and butts I like to keep it at 225° for the extra smoke. It's gives off quite a bit of TBS at 225°. I run Lumber Jack 100% hickory all the time. I have a smoke tube but stopped using it. Felt like it but off a bitter smoke. I love mine
Nice! Looks good!

Wish I had mine already. The first holdup was Recteq calling me the following Monday after I placed my order asking for proof of delivery address vs billing as they've had a ton of scams and charge backs (I had to sent a bill). Apparently a common theme has been just as I described above so now they verify prior to shipping (no big deal). However, sort of disappointed they didn't offer a bag of pellets for the delay (again no big deal). Next, I call Saia (the delivery co) after I receive an email stating I need to call to make an appointment for delivery but when I call the cs rep tells me they have not received the shipment so cannot set an appointment...Mildly irritated at this point, I say ok, understanding the issues we face during these times. I get a call an hour later asking me to make an appointment. ***!!!

I set a new date but on said date I get a call explaining the shipment has not been received at the port, which the tracker says otherwise, and need to set a new appointment.

So new date is tomorrow and hopefully this time I get the unit. This is not entirely on RT but there should be better communication from RT with the customer on their order, a 1700+ order. My aggravation is likely misplaced but I feel the customer service aspect, that many have complimented is lacking with my order.

Forgive the long rant but I just needed to vent some.

Mac, I don't blame you for being annoyed at the delay. I guess it goes along with all the other fraud and then COVID junk going on. I think you will be very happy in the long run. Should you need technical support, I think you will find Recteq to be there for you. The 1250 looks very cool!

Mac, I don't blame you for being annoyed at the delay. I guess it goes along with all the other fraud and then COVID junk going on. I think you will be very happy in the long run. Should you need technical support, I think you will find Recteq to be there for you. The 1250 looks very cool!
Thanks for talking me down Jon...HAHA I'm not terribly angry because I understand the situation we all are living currently but I felt the customer experience was a bit lacking in communication from RT.

I've heard nothing but great things about RT cs but this has not been a seamless transaction imo, but again, I understand the situation.
Wooooo-saaaaaa....

Like a kid a few days before Xmas staring at all the gifts under the tree, Mac?? :)

Delivery issues will be a distant memory once you get your new grill, assemble it, burn it in, and do your first cook! :)

Keep us updated!

R

Back