EX6 just delivered. Initial impressions

Got to do my second cook and was really impressed. Threw a rib steak , 2 lamb shanks and 2 sausages on. Started it up to 300, which took only a few minutes to get to. Then turned on Smokeboost for about an hour. I then took it back up to 275. Raised it and lowered it a few times to 250. Always responded right away to the increase/decrease. I used the wet smoke kit this time and all drippings went straight into the drip pan (which I unfortunately forgot to do on my first cook!!!! ) Used Weber cherry pellets. Everything came out fantastic. The shanks stalled at 163, so I wrapped them and then degrees started rising again. Only issue I had was a "Low fuel level" , because the pellets on the left side were almost all gone, although plenty were left on the right side of the hopper. I did move them down by hand just in case, but so far that is the only issue that others are complaining about that I see is really happening. I don't think the new incline of the hopper has resolved the issue completely... Hopefully Weber can come up with a fix !!

Not sure why they didn't put the pellet sensor on the longer side. Would seem to make more sense than on the short side. I haven't tested the feed for extreme times, but I did run it for 8 hours non-stop and it did fine. I never cook overnight, but if I did, that's enough for me to get a full nights sleep and check it again the morning.

Charlie

I agree with you Charlie , sensor should be on long side, and it should also be FLUSH with the hopper metal. Any protrusion will cause pellets to stick on top of the sensor and not drop down properly.

Last edited:
I’m really on the fence about getting an EX4 to complete my personal Weber collection. The more I start reading the good, the more I find one more “not so good” and I’m hesitant to pull the trigger.

I’m really on the fence about getting an EX4 to complete my personal Weber collection. The more I start reading the good, the more I find one more “not so good” and I’m hesitant to pull the trigger.
For what it's worth, you'll always find some negative about any product, none are perfect in form and design and none are perfect in every way for everyone's needs. Most people are quick to respond about single problems, but not so quick to report all of the good. Just my opinion.

Charlie

For what it's worth, you'll always find some negative about any product, none are perfect in form and design and none are perfect in every way for everyone's needs. Most people are quick to respond about single problems, but not so quick to report all of the good. Just my opinion.

Charlie
As much as it pains me to admit, I balked on the EX4 even after my local BBQ shop loaned a demo to me for a week. I really liked the way it handled and the food was delicious. There were just a few quirks, for me, that I did not like. I realize that drip pan will solve almost all the hoopla around the grease management system, but I feel like Weber can do better. The hopper on the back of the grill, including the space between the lid and the grill allows for pellets to fall into when filling (as was illustrated in the photos above.) Where I am able to place the grill on my deck meant I’d have to walk off the deck and around to fill the hopper. When the railing is installed on my deck, this will no longer be an option, unless I relocate the grill to the ground. No thank you. Finally, I have a Genesis. The flavourizer bars work fine in a high heat environment, and seem almost pointless when cooking low and slow (hence the need for the drip pans.) Other than using pellets, it just felt too much like my genesis, but with less cooking space. I know these gripes are all trivial, and again, I really do like the EX4… I’d just like it better if it was not a hybrid.

I ended up purchasing a Pit Boss 850 Pro Series II For under $650 CDN, which was hard to pass up. It’s built like a tank and I’ve used it only once. While it certainly won‘t replace my WSM or Summit Kamado… it‘s something different in the arsenal for the time being. I’d rather have a Weber pellet grill on my deck, so I‘ll wait to see if a re-design comes out in the next year or two, and hopefully make the switch.

I feel so dirty.

As much as it pains me to admit, I balked on the EX4 even after my local BBQ shop loaned a demo to me for a week. I really liked the way it handled and the food was delicious. There were just a few quirks, for me, that I did not like. I realize that drip pan will solve almost all the hoopla around the grease management system, but I feel like Weber can do better. The hopper on the back of the grill, including the space between the lid and the grill allows for pellets to fall into when filling (as was illustrated in the photos above.) Where I am able to place the grill on my deck meant I’d have to walk off the deck and around to fill the hopper. When the railing is installed on my deck, this will no longer be an option, unless I relocate the grill to the ground. No thank you. Finally, I have a Genesis. The flavourizer bars work fine in a high heat environment, and seem almost pointless when cooking low and slow (hence the need for the drip pans.) Other than using pellets, it just felt too much like my genesis, but with less cooking space. I know these gripes are all trivial, and again, I really do like the EX4… I’d just like it better if it was not a hybrid.

I ended up purchasing a Pit Boss 850 Pro Series II For under $650 CDN, which was hard to pass up. It’s built like a tank and I’ve used it only once. While it certainly won‘t replace my WSM or Summit Kamado… it‘s something different in the arsenal for the time being. I’d rather have a Weber pellet grill on my deck, so I‘ll wait to see if a re-design comes out in the next year or two, and hopefully make the switch.

I feel so dirty.
I agree with all of your points above. I also hate the hopper lid in the back and it opening inside out.
But it is on wheels and it’s pretty light and easy to pull just the hopper side out to fill. I don’t feel any need to walk around to back just to fill the hopper. But a side shelf that doubles as a hopper lid is a better design IMO. Similar to the way Pit Boss handles the hopper. I also like the Pit Boss debris screen towards the top of the hopper. Weber design has theirs at the bottom of the hopper just before dropping into auger. So if you dump a bag of pellets you might miss the large piece of debris being poured into hopper and not know it’s there til it blocks the screen during a cook.
If you spent $1000 on a nice Weber gas grill and tossed a pellet smoke tray on the V bars, would it really offer that much less smoke flavor compared to the Smoke Fire?

I agree with all of your points above. I also hate the hopper lid in the back and it opening inside out.
But it is on wheels and it’s pretty light and easy to pull just the hopper side out to fill. I don’t feel any need to walk around to back just to fill the hopper. But a side shelf that doubles as a hopper lid is a better design IMO. Similar to the way Pit Boss handles the hopper. I also like the Pit Boss debris screen towards the top of the hopper. Weber design has theirs at the bottom of the hopper just before dropping into auger. So if you dump a bag of pellets you might miss the large piece of debris being poured into hopper and not know it’s there til it blocks the screen during a cook.
If you spent $1000 on a nice Weber gas grill and tossed a pellet smoke tray on the V bars, would it really offer that much less smoke flavor compared to the Smoke Fire?
Excellent point. This has come up in discussion with the staff at the bbq shop I frequent. In short, it sounds like the answer is no, it would not. It’s been suggested to get a smoke-tube and stuff it with pellets.

Excellent point. This has come up in discussion with the staff at the bbq shop I frequent. In short, it sounds like the answer is no, it would not. It’s been suggested to get a smoke-tube and stuff it with pellets.
The SmokeFire has its share off issues I admit, however it has never once occurred to me that I would want to put pellets in from behind the smoker, I also jut can’t see a pellet tube on a gasser putting out anywhere near the same smoke as a SmokeFire.

I looked at a Traeger Pro 760, the other day, same price as a SF, you would have to be crazy to go with the Traeger. Flimsy single wall with some weird grates, no thank you!

…however it has never once occurred to me that I would want to put pellets in from behind the smoker
I hear you. “Want to” and “have to” are two very different options. The way my deck is set up, with my Kamado and my gasser, and my WSM, the Smokefire is only able to be placed in one spot to allow the electrical cord (including extension cord) to reach the outlet. Short from moving all of the other equipment to move the Smokefire- this is the only choice I have currently.

I hear you. “Want to” and “have to” are two very different options. The way my deck is set up, with my Kamado and my gasser, and my WSM, the Smokefire is only able to be placed in one spot to allow the electrical cord (including extension cord) to reach the outlet. Short from moving all of the other equipment to move the Smokefire- this is the only choice I have currently.
I know this doesn’t fix the issue, but it makes it so much easier to pour pellets easily into the narrow hopper.

175899CA-00D5-4423-9586-61C8E3844F5D.png

I know this doesn’t fix the issue, but it makes it so much easier to pour pellets easily into the narrow hopper.
Good idea. That puts pellets neatly into the hopper and that's the goal. I stand next to the controller and fill my hopper using an ice scoop. No need to get behind the grill. When I got my grill I didn't like the narrow hopper but I figured out how to deal with it and it's a non problem.

Good idea. That puts pellets neatly into the hopper and that's the goal. I stand next to the controller and fill my hopper using an ice scoop. No need to get behind the grill. When I got my grill I didn't like the narrow hopper but I figured out how to deal with it and it's a non problem.
Well my Pit Boss relationship was short lived. Controller was faulty and wouldn’t get up to 300º. I decided to just return it and perhaps re-evaluate the Smokefire in the New Year. What are the odds I purchase an EX4 and Weber comes out with an entirely new pellet grill?

Well my Pit Boss relationship was short lived. Controller was faulty and wouldn’t get up to 300º. I decided to just return it and perhaps re-evaluate the Smokefire in the New Year. What are the odds I purchase an EX4 and Weber comes out with an entirely new pellet grill?
I don't have a crystal ball and no connections with Weber. Our host, Chris Allingham, knows the Weber business history and could give a more reliable prediction than me. The Gen 2 was released with a bunch of PR hype about the improvement but in essence the only significant change was the welded auger chute assembly. Gen 1 owners received the new assembly for free and installed it themselves. The hopper insert decreased pellet capacity by 2 lbs. and didn't improve pellet flow in my grill so I removed it after trying it for 4 months. The software improvements they touted when releasing the Gen 2 were the same updates that we installed in the Gen 1. My Gen 1 is now a Gen 2 but with more pellet capacity. With a large number of now satisfied owners that understand the Smokefires warts I just don't see a new design coming out. Now that and 5 bucks may get you a cup of coffee these days so don't bet the farm on this old fart's opinion.

I don't have a crystal ball and no connections with Weber. Our host, Chris Allingham, knows the Weber business history and could give a more reliable prediction than me. The Gen 2 was released with a bunch of PR hype about the improvement but in essence the only significant change was the welded auger chute assembly. Gen 1 owners received the new assembly for free and installed it themselves. The hopper insert decreased pellet capacity by 2 lbs. and didn't improve pellet flow in my grill so I removed it after trying it for 4 months. The software improvements they touted when releasing the Gen 2 were the same updates that we installed in the Gen 1. My Gen 1 is now a Gen 2 but with more pellet capacity. With a large number of now satisfied owners that understand the Smokefires warts I just don't see a new design coming out. Now that and 5 bucks may get you a cup of coffee these days so don't bet the farm on this old fart's opinion.
Well said Lew! I also left out the pellet ramp! Once the welded auger came out and the updates it’s been easy for me. I do hear of other having issues but it seems like there always a catch, random pellets, no drip pans on long cooks, built by the kids at the store they bought it from.

Was at Costco today. Off season and no trager parade. But I saw one hidden in the slow zone a pricey silverton or whatever. Had to look. Not as nice as I would have hoped. And not a lot of space. If you cannot cook several pulled or briskets, what good is it.

Last edited:
I mentioned this before, but I think the big issue is going to be store presence. If Lowe's abandons the SmokeFire, then I don't know of ANY retail chain displaying it and carrying it in stock. I could certainly be wrong. And, it is conceivable that it will be come a direct order product just like Recteq does. What I don't see is an entirely new SmokeFIre - or pellet grill by another name - anytime soon.

Back