EX4 Not Starting

RStephen

TVWBB Member
Looking for suggestions on things to try.

I have an EX4, and have loved the thing until this summer. I use it usually once per week through the winter and closer to three times per week May to November. It is damn near impossible to find Weber pellets near me, I have mainly ran Cabela's pellets in it. Around December I picked up about 10 bags of Royal Oak pellets, the local King Soopers had them on clearance for $0.50/bag. I have an old pellet sifter from when I had a pellet stove and use that to keep fines out of the hopper. Sometime late this spring it didn't start up. I found the pelt pot had some ash caked in the bottom keeping the glow plug from igniting the pellets. Assumed it was poor maintenance on my part, or some water/moisture got in there. It was a really wet spring for us.

Anyways, a few weeks later same thing, but this time had to replace the glow plug, it still had the original in there. So again assumed, just maintenance. But now about every 4th cook it doesn't fire and I have to get in there to the burn pot and clean it out. There isn't much build up of anywhere else in the EX4, just the burn pot. Last time I got out a wheel brush on an extension for my drill and tried to clean up the burn pot to smooth metal. Still this weekend same thing. I've stopped using the charcoal pellets for a month now, I always just mixed them 50/50 with a wood pellet before.

I'm running out of things to try. Anyone have fought this issue? Any suggestions on things to try?

Have you tried contacting Weber? Intermittent problem sounds like could be a controller issue. Just a guess. Have you done any updates recently?

Last edited:
Sucks having to be an electrical/mechanical troubleshooter just to cook dinner.
Welcome to the Smokefire Club.lol
Being a member can be frustrating.
When it works…It’s great

If I were in your shows I'd verify that the glow plug has a proper connection (if you cannot first verify that it's firing). Here's a pic of a properly-seated connection:
https://tvwbb.com/threads/glow-plug-problems.84414/post-936598

Some folks have even added a hose clamp:
https://tvwbb.com/threads/need-advice-on-used-smokefire.93114/post-1067959

I don't recall where the other end of the glow plug wire connects but if it's visible you might also want to check that connection.

Next, I'd wait for @Lew Newby to reply, lol.

Good luck!

I haven't updated the grill this year. My phone app did update. Thanks I'll check the glow plug connection.

Talked to one of my coworkers at lunch. He said on his pellet grill, another brand, his fan started failing and his burn pot wouldn't stay clean. Similar symptoms to mine. It burns fine and seem to have normal temperature control when it starts though. Still the same loud fan in shutoff. Anyone had an issue like that?

Thanks for the ideas to chase. And yes, I really like the SF. Friends/coworkers seem to grumble about random things on their different brand pellet grills. I have a friend building a new control board for an old Traeger that died. He doesn't like his new one. Luckily he has a circuit board printer he can access. My Dad picked up a Pitboss with pellet grill on one side, gas on the other. He said he can run smoke through to the gas side. Trying to make an excuse to go see it.

My first thought was charcoal pellets can cause that problem. I've never tried Royal Oak but they are bigger in diameter than the Weber and Cabela's. Some folks insist on cleaning the fire pot before every cook. I don't, but my EX6 just seems to handle everything and keeps on running. I now use Cabela's Cherry or a blend. Before that I tried 5 other brands and I haven't had that problem in over 3 years of ownership but I have had my share of glitches that get me scrambling. As far as the fan is concerned, any build up in the bottom of the fire pot will disrupt airflow. To check your fan start the grill with a set temp of 305°F or higher and see if the fan kicks into high in the vicinity of 100 degrees and stays on high until it reaches temp. I agree that the Smokefire can test our patience but my family really likes the taste it puts into food. Good luck.

How caked up is the burn pot when it doesn’t lite? Are you running the shutdown cycle after cooking? Is the software up to date? Different pellets produce different amounts of ash, maybe you just need to clean the pot every couple of cooks.

My guess is that the Augur is gunked up. You will have to dump the Pellets in the Hopper before removing the Augur. The Augur / Motor assembly is held by two Phillips, remove them and pull the Augur out. If it's clogged, then that's the problem, if it's not clogged then is sounds like the Glow Plug is the problem, or possibly the connection. Try disconnecting the Glow Plug and reconnecting it. I'm still running the same Glow Plug (2+ years) no less than 100 bags of pellets. One other thing about the Augur, check to pin, it might have broke. I tried using a Cotter pin to replace the broken pin on mine, but it broke. I then used a steel nail, and it's holding nicely, but I do risk breaking the motor as the pin is designed to break and the nail isn't

Your pot should not be caked with anything. Some loose ash, certainly but if it’s caked in there, that’s your issue. The root cause is the question.

Cleaning every cook shouldn’t be needed, I certainly don’t. While a software update is a nice idea, software rarely just develops an issue out of nowhere; software does what it’s supposed to do and does so millions or billions of times if needed. When the inputs it looks for are out of whack that’s when it has issues.

Possible a controller but more likely something else.

Your pot should not be caked with anything. Some loose ash, certainly but if it’s caked in there, that’s your issue. The root cause is the question.

Cleaning every cook shouldn’t be needed, I certainly don’t. While a software update is a nice idea, software rarely just develops an issue out of nowhere; software does what it’s supposed to do and does so millions or billions of times if needed. When the inputs it looks for are out of whack that’s when it has issues.

Possible a controller but more likely something else.
Different pellets create different amounts of ash. This particular pellet could require more cleaning because of the ash it produces. It could even be a batch of pellets not at usual standards, like more bark, higher moisture, etc. The SmokeFire software could have improvements in the shutdown cycle especially to help handle more variables in pellets or climate. Not everyone lives in the same climate as you, uses the same pellets as you, nor cooks following the same process you do. The software could have developed an issue by being updated, we all know Weber’s stellar record with flawless updates. Didn’t you just post that you don’t let your grill update? I think most people do update so they can use their app. So, if you’re versions behind you’re really not using the same grill as everyone else. Nothing wrong with that if it works for you, but most people want the app and are hopeful the software is improving over time.

@ChuckO Brings up a good point and your sig saying 2020 SmokeFire begs the question, do you still have the original gen 1 auger chute? It was known to collect pellet fines/dust causing problems. Weber redesigned the part to improve that.

I have the newer chute. I haven’t seen anything stuck on it when I’ve taken it apart to get the burn pot.

The hopper has been cleaned recently. I cleared it out to make sure there are no charcoal pellets in it to remove a variable in the ash build up. The charcoal pellets actually have way less fines and dust.

Ash was built up in the pot enough that is couldn’t see the outlines of the grate. My fan ramps up at the start, when bringing the temp up, and at shut down. I have not interrupted shut down and it usually takes 10-15 minutes.

I’m going to take a look at the fan and the glow plug connection this weekend.

Thanks for the ideas.

Different pellets create different amounts of ash. This particular pellet could require more cleaning because of the ash it produces. It could even be a batch of pellets not at usual standards, like more bark, higher moisture, etc. The SmokeFire software could have improvements in the shutdown cycle especially to help handle more variables in pellets or climate. Not everyone lives in the same climate as you, uses the same pellets as you, nor cooks following the same process you do. The software could have developed an issue by being updated, we all know Weber’s stellar record with flawless updates. Didn’t you just post that you don’t let your grill update? I think most people do update so they can use their app. So, if you’re versions behind you’re really not using the same grill as everyone else. Nothing wrong with that if it works for you, but most people want the app and are hopeful the software is improving over time.
And again, CAKING is an issue. Caking is not ash in the pot. So, it’s ash or it’s caked ash. Huge difference. A little ash is normal.

The fan is supposed to blow the majority of ash out of the pot, which it does really pretty well. It HAS to, or the glow plug will never light pellets. This is a universal truth to all pellet cookers….if you have ash build up, you never ignite. Period.

I won’t touch on the silly nonsense about me not using the same grill as everyone else as it’s not really worth a comment.

Seem rather salty and that’s unfortunate.

Ash was built up in the pot enough that is couldn’t see the outlines of the grate. My fan ramps up at the start, when bringing the temp up, and at shut down. I have not interrupted shut down and it usually takes 10-15 minutes.
Without a visual, that sounds like it could be the problem. I’d maybe buy a fresh bag of another brand of pellets and see if the same build up occurs no matter if you wish to call it ash or caking or caked ash. If it still occurs could be the fan or something else impeding the airflow so the shutdown isn’t clearing most of it out.

I have the EX6, and on occasion I will see that there is some ash buildup in the burn pot. I always to the proper shutdown, and the issue is only on startup when the pellets dropping are not making contact with the flow plug. I usually chalk up the ash buildup or caking to moisture in the air (whether humidity or rain) that will make the ash stick- kind of like charcoal ash that gets wet. Usually can clear the blockage by fishing some of the pellets out (if the burn pot filled) and knocking the ash off with a screwdriver or something similar. I’ve tried to make it a habit to walk out and check for either smoke or an increase in temp shortly after starting it as opposed to 10-15 minutes later when I’m ready to throw the food on.

If your issues are after start-up; then it may be auger or glow plug related. Hope this helps.

I keep a soft small parts brush near the grill and use it to loosen any "buildup" prior to and during vacuuming. They can be had cheap at Harbor Freight. I buy them by the box full.

I have the EX6, and on occasion I will see that there is some ash buildup in the burn pot. I always to the proper shutdown, and the issue is only on startup when the pellets dropping are not making contact with the flow plug. I usually chalk up the ash buildup or caking to moisture in the air (whether humidity or rain) that will make the ash stick- kind of like charcoal ash that gets wet. Usually can clear the blockage by fishing some of the pellets out (if the burn pot filled) and knocking the ash off with a screwdriver or something similar. I’ve tried to make it a habit to walk out and check for either smoke or an increase in temp shortly after starting it as opposed to 10-15 minutes later when I’m ready to throw the food on.

If your issues are after start-up; then it may be auger or glow plug related. Hope this helps.
After start up the glow plug is not a player. It's deenergized once the fire is burning.

I have the newer chute. I haven’t seen anything stuck on it when I’ve taken it apart to get the burn pot.

The hopper has been cleaned recently. I cleared it out to make sure there are no charcoal pellets in it to remove a variable in the ash build up. The charcoal pellets actually have way less fines and dust.

I’m going to take a look at the fan and the glow plug connection this weekend.

Thanks for the ideas.
I would update the firmware in the controller too.

Current Version
Version 7381 (Available 8/1/2023)
Improved WiFi connectivity
General device enhancements and bug fixes for improved product performance

Back