Ever tried baking pizza on parchment paper?

PhilipHedrick

TVWBB Member
Many home cooks swear by it for a non-stick, easy cleanup experience, but others have run into issues like burning paper or dough sticking. Let's share our experiences, troubleshoot common problems, and exchange tips to perfect this method.

Whether you're a parchment paper pro or a curious newbie, join the conversation and help us all make better pizza!

I wouldn't dare!
I got the use of a gas oven (meaning flames) and an uuni (ooni) meaning serious flames ;)

I used it some years back when I was having trouble stretching dough and getting it onto the peel without wrecking it. I started stretching onto the parchment so I could then slide the peel under. Once I learned to do that properly, have not really needed it since. Once it was on the parchment, it would be easy to get onto the baking steel and after a minute or so, it would pull out easily too.

I've used parchment on my Ooni and I cut the parchment so all but a small pull tab is covered by the pie dough. I launch it into the ooni and within 5 to 10 seconds I pull the parchment out with tongs. Stone temps are 800+ F so after 10 seconds the parchment is starting to burn.

I need to get better with launching using semolina or cornmeal but until then its a decent crutch to lean on.

For an electric oven at 500F and stone temp near 500F I leave the parchment in for about 2 mins then pull it.

YMMV

Last edited:
Try launching from a wooden peel, with either semolina or rice flour.
It's not difficult.
I think launching from wood makes all the difference.
And not leaving it on the peel for too long.
Wiggle it before launching to check if it is not sticking

Dan has the idea, he shared with me my first go at pizza running about 600 in the E6.....parchment is your friend.
It can be removed in a matter of very short time.....

I normally make several pies at once and parchment paper works for me.
I remove it shortly after I launch the pie and I never have any wrecks doing this.

Brett got me thinking about the screen pan so I just ordered one to give it a try.
I can’t see me getting a bunch of these for pizza party night but I could see it working good for when it’s just the wife and I.

Same here.

We often make 4 to 8 pies of different sizes and toppings and we prep them on parchment.

I've tried getting them from parchment to the wood peel with semolina or corn meal but I often botch the pizza.

Another thing is depending on the topping, I don't top them and let them sit for long with the toppings or sauce as these can make the dough soggier.

If I had a much larger pizza oven I could make larger pies, or even cook more than one at a time. #AINTGONNAHAPPEN

Try launching from a wooden peel, with either semolina or rice flour.
It's not difficult.
I think launching from wood makes all the difference.
And not leaving it on the peel for too long.
Wiggle it before launching to check if it is not sticking
This is what I do. You learn pretty quick or you go hungry. The pizza screen looks to be a good alternative though.

I remove it shortly after I launch the pie and I never have any wrecks doing this.

Brett got me thinking about the screen pan so I just ordered one to give it a try.
I can’t see me getting a bunch of these for pizza party night but I could see it working good for when it’s just the wife and I.
i own three screens which has proven to be enough to make pizza for up to 6 guests. all between shaping pies, dressing, topping and baking the pies. i can move them in production fashion and people can eat and share the done pies as they come off. so it's more of a pizza party versus each person have an individual pie of their own.

cook times per pie with the screen, cooking atop my steel on the S6 is around 5-7 minutes per pie with a steel temp of around 550F. 4-5 mins on the screen and 2-3 mins decked onto the steel and then pulled, rested, sliced and served.

you can do the same in an oven, but no decking the pies (unless you're using your steel indoors, in the oven.

1718228547693.jpeg

1718228575983.jpeg

Back