Eucalyptus charcoal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Sabino

TVWBB Member
I was in a Portuguese grocery store and saw a bag of Eucalyptus lump charcoal from Brazil. Anyone have any thoughts if this is good or not?

I'm willing to give it a try!...Sounds interesting...must be very aromatic.

But from what I read, Eucalyptus may leave a bitter taste.

Gary,
For what it's worth, I bought some Colgate toothpaste that contained Eucalyptus. It is very defined in the toothpaste. I don't think I would like it for charcoal.

Come to think of it I hate brushing with charcoal too.
icon_biggrin.gif

Is it just me or are we getting away from the basic elements of BBQ. Wood, charcoal, fire, meat, sauce and eating!

Eucalyptus???? You're kidding me right?!?!?!

The Eucalyptus oil is only in the foliage, which wouldn't be included in the charcoal. I think it would be similar to other hardwoods. I've been using Spotted Gum for a while now for my smoke wood. It has an addictively mild, sweet, nutty tone to it, but no indication that the foliage had a Eucalyptus/lemon smell.

Anyone else located in Australia (or elsewhere) should try the local hardwoods for smoking. I resisted for too many years, only to find out I was missing out on great things.

back in San Diego we had tons of Eucalyptus, it burns like firecrackers

I have to say that it never smelled funny, just might work ... ??

By the time most any wood is burned down into charwood, it's mostly just carbon. Give that eucalyptus a try and let us know how it works.

Regards,
Chris

I've used red gum lump charcoal a few times with out any problems. Never been any problems with a eucalyptus flavour tainting my barbecue.

Just barbecued a shoulder of lamb yesterday using a two chunks of red gum and two chunks of hickory as smoke wood. I used a blend as I was hedging my bets, but the lamb came out beautifully. Next time I'll use all redgum for the smoke wood. I had read in a few places, that eucalypts should be avoided, but based on this experiment I can say that this is not the case.

Finally am using this charcoal. The brand is Brasero and if you see it avoid it. In comparieson to Royal Oak, it is quite a bit more difficult to ignite and it burns way hotter. Also, the chunks are huge, which I don't know is good or bad. This might just be that brand, rather than Eucalyptus in general, of course.
Food tastes just as good, no unusual odors at all.

Gary:

Having lived in SoCal, I was watching this thread with some trepidation (
icon_razz.gif
) I had my doubts but held back, having smelled more than I cared to smell.

Having sed all that, glad this was not a fiasco for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back