ET-73 vs NU-701 Method of Transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Jocsak

TVWBB Member
I was wondering if any one was familiar with the technology behind these two units. I have tried 4 of the ET-73 units and cannot get it to work correctly. I have been in touch with Maverick and they were great but they do not have an answer either. So I was curious if the NU-701 uses the same technology. I don't want to waste my time if these transmit the same way.

Hi Jeff,

I don't know for sure, but I think these units transmit on the same frequency...But, I do know that they only transmit when there's a temp change...Therefore, I think the technology is pretty much the same. Chet has much more experience in this field than I ~ Myabe he'll chime in here.

I have several of the Nu-Temp 701's and have never had a problem with them. There are many more here on TVWB that swear by the Maverick ET-73. The Maverick is a great unit ~ Obviously, you've gotten into the bad batch that has recieved so much attention here lately.

While I'm happy with the Nu-Temp's, the Maverick has features I would like and at a lower price. They have been very good to their customers in trying to replace a defective batch that made it to store shelves.

I say, give them one more chance
icon_cool.gif

From what I can gather they both transmit at 433Mhz and they both are rated for about the same coverage area. I'd say that Bill pretty much said it all. You likely just stepped into a bad batch.

Since Maverick Industries is only an hour drive from you (Edison, NJ), maybe you could take a drive over and talk to them face to face. See if they can't make it right.

The problem is they (Maverick) sent me a tested unit and it works the same as the others. They can't figure it out either. If I've gone through 4 different units from two different places and I still can't get it to work, I figure they have way too many bad units floating out there or it just won't work in my house. Either way I'm looking for an alternative.

Jeff, been using the Nu-701 for 2 years now. Range is fantastic but it does'nt have the low temp alarm on it. IMO as stable as the WSM is i never needed the low temp alarm. It also costs more for less features. I love mine though. Bryan

Jeff,
I'm not trying to analyze the problem, I'm just courious. Does your unit (all 4 of them) not work at all? Or, are you just not at all satisfied that you can't get reception through a wall or something?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerry N.:
Jeff,
I'm not trying to analyze the problem, I'm just courious. Does your unit (all 4 of them) not work at all? Or, are you just not at all satisfied that you can't get reception through a wall or something? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only way they will work is if I put it on the window sill (in view of the smoker) in the corner at a 45 deg angle. If I move it away from the window even 2 feet it will not sync. Since that is only 15 feet away and not where I need it to be it is of very little use to me. Where I need it is inside on the second floor (another 15' away).

You're doomed.
icon_biggrin.gif

From what you've been through there must be something else going on, but I have no idea what that would be. Maverick has certainly been gracious with four seperate units.

Now I'm starting to think about interference. Do you have anything like a "baby monitor" or other remote thing that might operate at the same frequency? Maybe some wireless speakers?

Do you live next door to a nuclear power plant?
icon_smile.gif

These shouldn't interfere.
Cell phones might be near 900Mhz or so
Portable phones = 900Mhz, 2.4Ghz, and 5.8Ghz
Wireless LAN 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz

Did a chuck roll today. Wife and i were cleaning the basement out. Took the NU-701 downstairs with me. WSM sits out on the deck. Went through the brick exterior wall down the steps about 30 feet away. Took it to the bedroom which is 55 feet away from the WSM never faultered. Brick rancher with plaster walls. Like i said earlier the only down side is no low temp alarm. And the price, Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chet Johnson:
You're doomed.
icon_biggrin.gif

From what you've been through there must be something else going on, but I have no idea what that would be. Maverick has certainly been gracious with four seperate units.

Now I'm starting to think about interference. Do you have anything like a "baby monitor" or other remote thing that might operate at the same frequency? Maybe some wireless speakers?

Do you live next door to a nuclear power plant?
icon_smile.gif

These shouldn't interfere.
Cell phones might be near 900Mhz or so
Portable phones = 900Mhz, 2.4Ghz, and 5.8Ghz
Wireless LAN 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea I have a 2.4ghz cordless in the next room. No power plant or baby monitor, no wireless network or anything else wireless. BTW I got 3 of those units from theGadgetSource.

I use an ET-73 all the time. I have a wireless network in the house as well as two 2.4 Ghz phones. I'm in a brick ranch and roam as far away as 30 to 50 feet from the WSM. I have had a couple of instances of the remote loosing it's link. However, it's only happened a couple of times.

What is your set up? How far away from the cooker are you and what kind of construction is your house?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Clay:
I use an ET-73 all the time. I have a wireless network in the house as well as two 2.4 Ghz phones. I'm in a brick ranch and roam as far away as 30 to 50 feet from the WSM. I have had a couple of instances of the remote loosing it's link. However, it's only happened a couple of times.

What is your set up? How far away from the cooker are you and what kind of construction is your house? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an old (115 years) Victorian home with vinyl siding. I'm testing the receiver about 15 feet away but would like it to be between 25-35' away in a second floor room. It works fine from the upstairs to the downstairs (inside). Maybe its something in the rigid 3/8" insulation they applied before siding. I don't recall any foil on it just paper.

Maybe lead paint somewhere in those 115 years? Seems unlikely but that's the first thing that comes to mind. Would even the oldest lead paints have had that much lead in them to cause interference?

How far does it maintain connectivity in a straight line without any walls or stuff? Is there some way that you can eliminate building materials?

I started a thread and I'm into day three with no issues. The batteries are holding up and the temp readings from the transmitter to the receiver are consistent.

Perhaps you can pick a spot to test range that doesn't include any walls, insulation, or any other interference and try to reduce some of the variables?

Chet

There you go. And just to add, while not knowing when the insulation was installed on the walls, when I was in Fla, the newer homes were being insulated with a foil/plastic (moisture) barrier on the (mostly block) walls...Something else to look into
icon_smile.gif

My 2 cents. Aren't they supposed to work like cordless phones? If you have a cordless phone and it works in your house. One would think that the ET-73 should work also.
icon_confused.gif
Bryan

I only wish they were using similar technology. They aren't. Different frequencies, different transmit power. If I were king of the world, things would be different.

BTW, I switched to different frequencies on my portable phone because there were HUGE interference issues with wireless remote speakers and cell phones. I have spent far too much time sorting out frequency conflicts.

Hoo boy, when the cell phone would ring, you wouldn't believe the noise it made in my 900Mhz remote speakers. I don't even want to think about what happened to the meeting I was in on my old 900Mhz portable phone. The pain! the pain!

Welcome to the world of wireless (sans spread spectrum).

Chet, i'm hearing line of sight, direct line, inline, lead paint, foil. Thats what i meant about cordless phones. I Should have made myself more clear sorry. Aren't they supossed to brodcast to the base station. I can carry my NU-701 anywhere in the house upstairs downstairs. I know i have lead paint in my house.
(that explains it i know
icon_biggrin.gif
) Bryan

I know, that's what i'm trying to sort out. I can carry my ET-73 all over the place as well. We have some kind of issue where this fellow is having intractable problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back