ET-73 Reasonable Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should be getting my ET-73 sometime this week. Even after I heard of all the problems, I still ordered because of what everyone said about their customer service being so good. Once you've got a good woking unit, even if you have to exchange once or twice, it still seems to me to be the best bang for the buck. Heres hoping I get a good one right off, I'll report back when it comes in.

Tony

I thought my range was kinda weak so I changed the batts. Will see how that works for next time.

How do you know for sure you aren't getting a signal. Will it not show anything or will it just stick at the same temp.

"How do you know for sure you aren't getting a signal"

From what I have seen, the receiving unit will just stick at a temp. If you walk over to the transmit unit (leave the receiver behind), the temp display will be blank, or the temp will be something completely different.

Receiver and Transmitter should display the same value all the time (well, +/- a degree or two). If it doesn't, you are out of range, or there's something wrong.

As I think about this (and consider what I engineer surrounding wireless LAN stuff)....

If the signal passes through a wall at 90 degrees, it offers pretty low signal dispersion. If the signal passes through an obstruction at an extreme angle, that 3/4" of stucco could behave more like a foot of concrete.

Sort of like trying to slice a brisket at an angle to get a wider, sandwich width, slice. Ultimately, it's thicker and could account for some level of increased interference.

This is only interesting at the edge of the devices advertised range.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This is only interesting at the edge of the devices advertised range. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Glad you put that in there, Chet ~ The important part /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Greg,
On the reciever, there is in the upper line, an icon that looks like a little satellite dish. It flashes when the transmitter sends out a signal. Some times it takes awhile for it to light up, but it usually does. To test it, get the receiver closer (right next) to the transmitter and watch it.

My ET-73 arrived today and I'm happy to report that it works just fine!! First thing I did after I got the RX and TX talking to one another is to pass a flame underneath the smoker probe, warmed it up to about 150*. I then set the probe on a plate and went for a walk outside...leaving the TX inside. I was ok all the way out to my mailbox..about 70 feet or so away and the RX continued to show a steadily decreasing temperature.
So hopefully, Maverick has their problems straightened out and it just wasn't that I was lucky in getting a good one right off. Lets hear from some other new owners so that we can safely recommend this product to others without fear of recieving a lemon that would have to be exchanged...but as I said before, for the $40 asking price even if it did have to be exchanged its a great remote temp probe.

Tony

I got mine yesterday as well and I'm happy to report it works fantastic. I tested it from the kitchen all the way into my attic and I was receiving updates no problem (that's through two floors). Overall very satisfied...we'll see how it goes through a 16 hr butt cook next week.

I got mine two weeks ago and on my second smoke it still loses it's connection. It lost it three times during a nine hour smoke. It is a pain in the butt to then have to turn off the transmitter and receiver and then reset them. I also noticed that while it was not updating. I could go to the transmitter and see very different numbers than was on the receiver, again after a reset it was okay again for awhile.

I called thegadgetsource customer service and they recommended a new set of batteries, which I will do my next smoke.

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Drewery:
I got mine two weeks ago and on my second smoke it still loses it's connection. It lost it three times during a nine hour smoke. It is a pain in the butt to then have to turn off the transmitter and receiver and then reset them. I also noticed that while it was not updating. I could go to the transmitter and see very different numbers than was on the receiver, again after a reset it was okay again for awhile.
I called thegadgetsource customer service and they recommended a new set of batteries, which I will do my next smoke.
Mike <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the new batteries don't work, ask for a replacement, as others have done, but I think I would contact Maverick directly. Their number is (732) 417-9666.

As far as the different numbers, the transmitter will continue to show the right temperature even if the reciever loses contact.

Tony

I got my new receiver from maverick and it is a big improvement. Get's updates from way out in the yard to the nightstand where I'll monitor my overnight cooks.

Granted, lot's of people have had problems, but with Maverick and Gadget Source both willing to make you a satisfied customer, the $40 price tag, and the lack of viable alternatives, I'm happy.

I say buy it, and just work with Maverick until you're satisfied.

I think I'm gonna call them. Mine works pretty well for about 10 - 15 feet, but you're making me feel like I have a bad unit (no suprise) and that I might actually get a better unit if I pursue this (which isn't always the case).

Just got my ET-73 in the mail today. The transmitter plain doesn't work. I turned the rx on first and then turned on the tx unit. The tx unit has no display and the little red light does nothing (I assume it blinks when it transmits.) I checked the battery polarity -- it was OK. I put in new batteries -- nothing. I then checked the batteries with my voltmeter and they were fine.

So I'm pretty sure the transmitter is dead. If anyone thinks I missed something please let me know. I'm calling them tomorrow. I have to wait due the 4 hour time difference.

Griff

My temp measuring device of choice is the Nu-Temp 701. Had it 2 yrs still works as good as the day i bought it. It costs more but it has never let me down. I can go anywhere in the house and it never stops transmitting. Solid brick rancher plaster walls works through everything. Just a Thought. Bryan, Here's a linkNU-TEMP 701

Hey Griff...when I turned my RX on first, and then the TX (proper procedure) they started talkin' right away. Call Maverick and get it replaced.

Tony

Thanks Tony.

That's exactly what I did. I called them first thing this morning and the response was great. They said they would put a new TX in the mail right away and I could use the packaging the new one came in to return the broken one.

By the way from your use of "TX" and "RX" I was wondering if you are a ham operator.

Griff
KL7BG

No Griff..never personally operated a ham, but I teach electronics at a college here in S.E. Michigan...and of course RX and TX are of course common jargon for any transitter/reciever sets, well, common jargon in electronics circles anyways.

10-4, over and out,
Tony

Bryan S,
Does the NU-TEMP 701 sense both the meat temp and the grate temp? It looks as if it only has one probe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back