Error E7 motor failure.

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
Well it finally happened. About $200 worth of meat and a ton of corn to cook For my stepdad his guests plus family for his birthday. Go out to start the EX6. The workhorse because of so much space. So no worries until I go to start it. And I get motor failure error! I went through the basic troubleshooting and no luck.

Lucky for me, I have two old Genesis and a silver series that I recently restored for my niece, but haven't given to her yet laying around. Plus the performer. So in the end everything got cooked and turned out good. And I'm glad I wasn't actually needing the smoke fire for traditional low and slow smoking on that day. I would have been even more pissed had that been the case. When I get a minute I have to contact Weber and put in a claim. Obviously not a happy camper 🤬. But like I said, everything did get cooked and turned out good. So I guess it actually was a good day.

Error Code E7 is the Auger. It's either all gunked up or the pin is sheered. It's easy to fix, but it requires dumping the pellets in the hopper first. Then remove the back panel and there's two phillips screws holding the auger/motor in place. Once you have the screws out, simply pull the motor assembly out. If it's just gunked, clean it, if the pin is sheared off you can use a cotter pin or like I did, and put a nail in place. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to do, and much of that time is dumping the hopper

Bummer, but glad you had a plan B for the cook. Keep us posted, the more info we share about issues may help someome out in the future.

How old is it?
A little over 2 years. Still has a little bit of warranty left. I also have a failure on the number one thermometer input. So I want to cover that also while it's still under warranty. I know it's just the number one thermometer input because I can take that same thermometer and put it in two through four and it works just fine. So it's not the thermometer. It's the actual jack hooked up to the controller. Which is also not good.

Error Code E7 is the Auger. It's either all gunked up or the pin is sheered. It's easy to fix, but it requires dumping the pellets in the hopper first. Then remove the back panel and there's two phillips screws holding the auger/motor in place. Once you have the screws out, simply pull the motor assembly out. If it's just gunked, clean it, if the pin is sheared off you can use a cotter pin or like I did, and put a nail in place. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to do, and much of that time is dumping the hopper
I had an auger jam before. That was a real pain to get that cleared out. Happen because of damp pellets. And it also had a different error code. This time it said motor failure error E7. And I just it .the previous weekend. It's been hot and not humid so I can't imagine that I would have an auger jam. But I guess it's possible. When I get time I'll pull the back off again and check the auger.

Update,

Okay here's the short story. A couple of weeks went by when I finally had a chance to call Weber. Explain to them the problems, and that I'm also having a problem with a number one input on the controller for the probe. I know it's not the pro because I've tried two, three and four and the probe works fine so it's the controller.

Weber decides to send out a new controller based on what I told them and they want me to troubleshoot the motor failure. Get their email troubleshoot and email back that I did their troubleshooting another sending out a new motor.

Controller came in about a week ago. The motor is supposed to be in today.

Now I mentioned that I wanted a brisket for my birthday and my nephew decided to buy (order ) one. Well. I really hope the motor gets here today. Because he always goes big. So he went to Snake River farms. And orders 20 lb of brisket. I don't know what Snake River farms is. I just know that it's supposed to be really good. Maybe somebody here can fill me in on that. The cook is supposed to start tomorrow. The motor's supposed to arrive today. That's the update for now. I'll update again soon 😃😃😂😆😂.

I really do just have to laugh at this whole scenario. I was lucky for my father's birthday. And for mine I might get lucky. Actually I really hope I do because the brisket is here and guests have been notified 🧉🍺🍻🥂🍾🍷🥃🍸🍹🫗

Update,

Okay here's the short story. A couple of weeks went by when I finally had a chance to call Weber. Explain to them the problems, and that I'm also having a problem with a number one input on the controller for the probe. I know it's not the pro because I've tried two, three and four and the probe works fine so it's the controller.

Weber decides to send out a new controller based on what I told them and they want me to troubleshoot the motor failure. Get their email troubleshoot and email back that I did their troubleshooting another sending out a new motor.

Controller came in about a week ago. The motor is supposed to be in today.

Now I mentioned it. I wanted a brisket for my birthday and my nephew decided to buy one. Well. I really hope the motor gets here today. Because he always goes big. So he went to Snake River farms. And order 20 lb of brisket. I don't know what Snake River farms is. I just know that it's supposed to be really good. Maybe somebody here can fill me in on that. The cook is supposed to start tomorrow. The motor's supposed to arrive today. That's the update for now. I'll update again soon 😃😃😂😆😂.

I really do just have to laugh at this whole scenario. I was lucky for my father's birthday. And for mine I might get lucky. Actually I really hope I do because the brisket is here.
WSK. it solves the world's problems. That brisket sounds good and huge. I volunteer to cook it for you if you're close to Sacramento region and your plan A doesn't come to fruition. Happy B(risket) Day!

WSK. it solves the world's problems. That brisket sounds good and huge. I volunteer to cook it for you if you're close to Sacramento region and your plan A doesn't come to fruition. Happy B(risket) Day!

Brett, maybe you just come over and enjoy some and we'll have a little virtual Weber bulletin meetup. Yes, I am in the Sacramento area. PM me.

Edit: of course that's only if you like hanging out and having a cold one with some music and barbecue. If none of that bothers you then most definitely PM me.

If it's coming from SRF you are in for a total TREAT. I have had an opportunity to cook a couple SRF tri tips and best I have ever had. They cut like filet

If it's coming from SRF you are in for a total TREAT. I have had an opportunity to cook a couple SRF tri tips and best I have ever had. They cut like filet
You’ve got yourself a grown in Idaho Snake River Farms American Waygu black label brisket, one of the best briskets money can buy and the second best SRF produces. The gold label is the highest quality one from SRF. I can’t wait to see the pics and hear the reviews.

You’ve got yourself a grown in Idaho Snake River Farms American Waygu black label brisket, one of the best briskets money can buy and the second best SRF produces. The gold label is the highest quality one from SRF. I can’t wait to see the pics and hear the reviews.

I certainly hope I do it justice. I'll try and get lots of pictures of before, during and after.

The verdict of course is not mine. It's everybody that tries it and tells me how good it was or how bad it was 🙃😎

Back