Enhanced turkey .... any new thinking on these birds ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I've been buying fresh non-enhanced turkeys. But my daughter over bought at T-Giving and she now has an extra and wants me to smoke it at Christmas. Its enhanced.

Last I read on this, its thought to avoid these birds. But I'm doing a wet brine and a rub from a Chef Tom vid. Hard for me to alter this. I'd already bought the brine concentrate .

Well, I'm still in the camp that says if you're going to wet brine a turkey, your best choice is a non-enhanced turkey, so you can enhance the flavor yourself with whatever concoction you're using.

However, we learned a long time ago from forum member Keri C that she was successfully wet brining enhanced Butterball turkeys, and I tried it and thought it turned out OK, too.

So if I were you, I'd go ahead and wet brine that bird.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Using the brine concentrate calls for 1 cup of kosher salt. Looks like that will work.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Using the brine concentrate calls for 1 cup of kosher salt. Looks like that will work.

I used that exact brine and method for one of my Butterball enhanced Thanksgiving turkeys. I found no adverse effects of it not being a fresh turkey. In fact, I'll call it one of the best turkeys we've made so far.

I used that exact brine and method for one of my Butterball enhanced Thanksgiving turkeys. I found no adverse effects of it not being a fresh turkey. In fact, I'll call it one of the best turkeys we've made so far.

That's really good to know. That puts my mind at ease.

I wet brine enhanced birds all the time and we also use butterballs. The brine I use calls for one cup of kosher salt also and I cut it down to 1/2 cup. Never had a bad bird, always moist and tender. I brine for 24 hours. I also have used my brine on non butterball birds with equal results.
The brine I use is from Weber's Charcoal Grilling "Brined and Barbecued Turkey with Pan Gravy"

Brine
2 quarts apple juice
1 cup kosher salt (use 1/2 cup if bird is enhanced)
2 TBS. dried rosemary
2 TBS. dried Thyme
1 TBS. dried sage
1 1tsp coarsely ground pepper
3 quarts of water
Brine for 18-24 hours

I should add, My turkey was 12 lb. and I used 1/2 of what is shown in the video. I used 1 bottle of brine, 1/2 gallon water, 1/2 gallon apple cider, 1/2 C Diamond Crystal kosher salt.

I've wondered why Chef Tom called for two bottles, which he says is enough for two turkeys. I'll follow your lead and cut it down.

I've wondered why Chef Tom called for two bottles, which he says is enough for two turkeys. I'll follow your lead and cut it down.
I wondered that same thing because he didn't put two turkeys in the bucket. Maybe he thought he could wrangle up a few additional sales by getting people to buy two :). Let us know how yours turns out. I forgot to get any pictures so I have none to share.

I wondered that same thing because he didn't put two turkeys in the bucket. Maybe he thought he could wrangle up a few additional sales by getting people to buy two :). Let us know how yours turns out. I forgot to get any pictures so I have none to share.

Worked on me, I bought two. But I was putting together a large enough order to reduce the shipping. I like Chef Tom. A lot of his cooks are too much of a deep dive for me. He went to culinary school and it shows. But I pick up a lot of good little tips from him. I've done the extra trimming he does on the spatchcock and found it worthwhile. I also really like his pork butt trim.

I'm not good with getting pics either, I seem to be too busy worrying about the cook.

Back