Enemy #1 - wind

Tom S.

TVWBB Fan
Started two butts (7lbs each) at 6:30 am today. Looked liked it might be a great day (put 3 racks of BB on at noon also), then the dreaded wind came up. 20-30 mph gusts, even my wind block won't help in keeping the temps steady. Up until about 11:00 am, the temp was holding 250 at the lid, now at about 215. I have tried adjusting all vents on the bottom, and just recently adjusted the top vent to about 20% closed. Any other helpful tips that I might try? It's been a while since I have had to deal with this much wind.

I've been facing the same problem all day. Has caused several temp. variations, but I'm still smokin'
icon_smile.gif

Would the Stoker or Guru help in this situation?

I ended up giving in to wrapping in foil and placing in the oven to finish. The temp got down to 210, then once I took the butts out and just left the ribs on the top rack, the temp climbed back up to about 250. Everything turned out fine, but sure hate to finish a cook in the oven.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Irish:
Would the Stoker or Guru help in this situation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. Not sure of the Stoker's set up but I believe it's similar ~ With the Guru, all the lower vents are closed except the one with the Guru. The other 2 holes on that one are taped closed. This leaves the side door and the top vent. These should be placed "down wind" and with the Guru, the top vent is partially closed anyway. Wind is the primary reason for my acquiring 2 Guru's.

Bill

I use the Guru with the smoking jacket. The combo is great in wind, rain, snow, subzero weather, etc.

If you're losing temp, I'd open the upwind vent and close the downwind vents. Let the wind act as a natural Guru. Possibly place the side door downwind and open.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Irish:
I've been facing the same problem all day. Has caused several temp. variations, but I'm still smokin'
icon_smile.gif

Would the Stoker or Guru help in this situation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Abrams:
I use the Guru with the smoking jacket. The combo is great in wind, rain, snow, subzero weather, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah Buddie, The smoking jacket is DA BOMB!!!!!!!! Best $100.00 I spent in a long time.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not sure of the Stoker's set up but I believe it's similar ~ With the Guru, all the lower vents are closed except the one with the Guru. The other 2 holes on that one are taped closed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the Stoker, the adaptor with the fan covers one lower vent (all 3 holes) and the other two lower vents are closed.

Sorry you had so much trouble. I had some wind yesterday too. It took me from 250 to 225. I opened the vents a little more and the temp shot right back up!

Back