Electric probes

Daniel Sylva

I was wondering what type of probes you guys are using for your WSM. I was thinking of picking up one and was wondering whats a good one to get for meat temp. I was aslo thinking of picking up a temp. gauge and sticking it on the top vent for the reading of the WSM. Whats a good relieable gauge.

Bunch of people on here use the Maverick ET 732. It has a probe for your food as well as for grate temp and is remote read. The unit also has alarms you can set for high and low temps and the cost is reasonableI have one I use all the time on my WSM and its great. I have a manual temp probe I drop in the vent that was recommended on here but don't have the name off hand. I usually use my lid one for visual of whole unit but rely on the Maverick for the food and grate temps..

Thanks Mike. I've read about the Maverick before on this site. There's just so much info though. So, I keep going from post to post. Thanks again.

I've had the 732 for almost two years now and have been very happy with it. I opted for the longer leads on the probes however.

Same here, the Mav. One can use the dome that comes with the wsm, just as long as they know that what it says is all about where it is, and not where the meat lies. But to do that, one needs a Mav. like instrument to measure the difference, so just get the Mav., or something like it.............................ck

Maverick is good, I've had an iGrill for about 6 months and so far so good. Thermoworks makes good ones that are very reasonably priced but don't have the remote feature. The biggest thing to remember is take care of your probes! If they get wet they are toast.

I have a very old Mav ET-73. I modified it for greater range and drilled a hole in the cover so I don't have to take it off to turn it on. I swear I'll buy the latest config once this dinasour dies but it hasn't died yet. It's like a Timex: takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. I did have to replace the probes with longer high heat probes -- I fried the original ones by placing them too close to a fire in the Kettle. I thought as soon as I did it, "That was dumb". Next cook confirmed my thought.

I also have a black Thermapen with flames on it. That thing is bad to the bone. Definitely takes the guess work out of "is it done yet?".

I have a very old Mav ET-73. I modified it for greater range and drilled a hole in the cover so I don't have to take it off to turn it on. I swear I'll buy the latest config once this dinasour dies but it hasn't died yet. It's like a Timex: takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. I did have to replace the probes with longer high heat probes -- I fried the original ones by placing them too close to a fire in the Kettle. I thought as soon as I did it, "That was dumb". Next cook confirmed my thought.

I also have a black Thermapen with flames on it. That thing is bad to the bone. Definitely takes the guess work out of "is it done yet?".

And my Mav ET73 still works, too. I also fried the original pit probe in a grill, but the HiTemp probe I replaced it with has a much longer wire, and I don't have to worry about frying it in the kettle. Speaking of the wire though, a slot for it cut under the lid is better than a grommet. I'll just leave it at that for now.

I need a flaming Thermapen like Dwaine's, though. Mine is just a super fast red one. ;-)

And my Mav ET73 still works, too. I also fried the original pit probe in a grill, but the HiTemp probe I replaced it with has a much longer wire, and I don't have to worry about frying it in the kettle. Speaking of the wire though, a slot for it cut under the lid is better than a grommet. I'll just leave it at that for now.

I need a flaming Thermapen like Dwaine's, though. Mine is just a super fast red one. ;-)

I'm a slot vs grommet guy, too! LOL I have one cut in all my cookers.

Back