Eat Your Spice Rack

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
To "borrow" an idea from Brett, I asked DH to pick 1 bottle of spice from the first turntable in the spice cabinet. He picked CELERY SEED!!!! So, after a search in my spice binder, I found this. It sounds like it will taste real good on some chicken thighs.

Sweet and Simple Barbecue Sauce

2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 TB. butter, melted
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
3/4 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 TB. prepared mustard
2 TB. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. CELERY SEEDS
1/2 tsp. salt
2 dashes of hot sauce

Saute garlic in butter 4 to 5 minutes in a saucepan. Add ketchup and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Use to baste pork or chicken during cooking.
Makes: 3 1/3 cups

Source: Southern Living-Secrets of the South BBQ-2007(note says Editor's favorite)

Brett, I have tons of recipes for rubs and spice blends that calls for celery seeds. But, I thought if I make one of those, that would just be another jar sitting around for heaven knows how long. lol

Brett, I have tons of recipes for rubs and spice blends that calls for celery seeds. But, I thought if I make one of those, that would just be another jar sitting around for heaven knows how long. lol
I like to use it in its dust form. In mashed potatoes, in a small amount, it gives them a really nice note and with white pepper too. I don’t think a lot of people use it though as an ingredient. I could be wrong. It hardly ever shows up in recipes.

Last edited:
I have recipes using celery seeds for chicken, beef, pork, coleslaw, potato salad, salad dressing, sauces, and many vegetables. That's why it was hard for me to decide on just one recipe. lol. I also have recipes calling for celery flakes and celery salt.

Above I said we might try this sauce on thighs. Well, yesterday DH came back from the store with a big package of wings. Ohhhhh boy!!!!!! Change of plan. Can't wait!!!

I like to use it in its dust form. In mashed potatoes, in a small amount, it gives them a really nice note and with white pepper too. I don’t think a lot of people use it though as an ingredient. I could be wrong. It hardly ever shows up in recipes.

I use celery seed in some of my rubs & sauces, potato & macaroni salads and home fermented kraut too. Great ingredient with many uses.

I know we haven't made the BBQ sauce yet, but I couldn't wait to see what the next spice would be. So, I asked DH to pick one from the second turntable. He picked MARJORAM. I am embarrassed to admit this, but the bought date on the jar is 4-22-13. But, it still smells good. I don't know what to do. We don't use it very often. Hate to buy a new jar. Maybe might just toss it and have DH pick another herb/spice.

Shelf life of dried Marjoram is about 3 years. Beyond that, if properly stored it shouldn't be bad but it will loose a lot of potency. I suspect that it won’t have a very potent flavor. My choice, have DH chose something else as yours is 8 years beyond the best by date.

I know we haven't made the BBQ sauce yet, but I couldn't wait to see what the next spice would be. So, I asked DH to pick one from the second turntable. He picked MARJORAM. I am embarrassed to admit this, but the bought date on the jar is 4-22-13. But, it still smells good. I don't know what to do. We don't use it very often. Hate to buy a new jar. Maybe might just toss it and have DH pick another herb/spice.
breakfast sausage.

Hi Brett, also German Sausage according to this:

Dried marjoram is a popular addition to salad dressings, meat dishes, and preserved meats such as German sausage. Used in both fresh and dried form, marjoram is subtler than its relative oregano and well suited to delicate vegetables, tomato-based dishes, such as tomato sauce and pizza, and poultry seasoning.

DH said he doesn't want to toss it, he thinks it still smells good enough to use, so guess we will have to decide what to make. lol

Well, looks like we have another chicken recipe to make. This is what we will be using the marjoram in. It does sound real good.

Spiced Cranberry Chicken

1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
6 frying chicken legs and thighs
1/4" salad oil
2 TB. brown sugar
1 TB. cornstarch
3/4 cup cranberry juice cocktail
1 lb. can whole cranberry sauce
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground MARJORAM
1 TB. onion, minced

1. Combine flour, salt and pepper. Coat chicken. Brown chicken on all sides in hot oil. Cover tightly. Reduce heat and cook gently 20-30 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender. Drain on paper towels.
2. Mix brown sugar and cornstarch together in a saucepan. Slowly stir in cranberry juice until smooth. Add whole cranberry sauce, spices and minced onion. Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture comes to a boil. Spoon over top of chicken.

To "borrow" an idea from Brett, I asked DH to pick 1 bottle of spice from the first turntable in the spice cabinet. He picked CELERY SEED!!!! So, after a search in my spice binder, I found this. It sounds like it will taste real good on some chicken thighs.

Sweet and Simple Barbecue Sauce

2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 TB. butter, melted
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
3/4 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 TB. prepared mustard
1 1/2 tsp. CELERY SEEDS
1/2 tsp. salt
2 dashes of hot sauce

Saute garlic in butter 4 to 5 minutes in a saucepan. Add ketchup and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Use to baste pork or chicken during cooking.
Makes: 3 1/3 cups

Source: Southern Living-Secrets of the South BBQ-2007(note says Editor's favorite)
DH cooked up some wings tonight with this sauce. We both gave it a Very Good rating!!!

Sorry, can't resist posting this other BBQ sauce recipe that I was debating to use instead of the one above. It also sounds good, maybe later. Raichlen does say it really taste best with PORK!!!!! But he does say that this sauce is thick enough to stick to ribs and versatile enough to accompany not only pork but beef, chicken, turkey and vegetables. This recipe is from (as the book says) the quintessential KANSAS CITY barbecue joint, B.B.'s Lawnside, a rough-and-tumble roadhouse on the outskirts of the city, which specializes in the three Bs of the KANSAS CITY good life: blues, beer, and barbecue.

B.B.'s Lawnside Spicy Apple Barbecue Sauce

1 bottle (14 oz.) ketchup
1 cup apple cider
1 TB. molasses
1 TB. cider vinegar
1 TB. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
1 1/2 TB. dark brown sugar
1 TB. granulated sugar
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. CELERY SEED
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves

Combine all the ingredients in a large, heavy, nonreactive saucepan and stir or whisk to mix. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer the sauce, uncovered, until thick and richly flavored, stirring often to prevent scorching, 30 minutes. Use right away or transfer to jars, cover, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate. The sauce will keep for up to several months. Makes about 3 cups

Source: "Sauces, Rubs and Marinades" Steven Raichlen - 2000

Just saw his dedication, he said - "To Barbara, who lights my fire" Aw, how sweet Steven

I hope everyone realizes that this thread is not just for me. lol Please feel free to pick a herb or spice that you would like to use and lets all give each other some ideas on how to use it, like you have done for me. OK?

Well, looks like we have another chicken recipe to make. This is what we will be using the marjoram in. It does sound real good.

Spiced Cranberry Chicken

1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
6 frying chicken legs and thighs
1/4" salad oil
2 TB. brown sugar
1 TB. cornstarch
3/4 cup cranberry juice cocktail
1 lb. can whole cranberry sauce
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground MARJORAM
1 TB. onion, minced

1. Combine flour, salt and pepper. Coat chicken. Brown chicken on all sides in hot oil. Cover tightly. Reduce heat and cook gently 20-30 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender. Drain on paper towels.
2. Mix brown sugar and cornstarch together in a saucepan. Slowly stir in cranberry juice until smooth. Add whole cranberry sauce, spices and minced onion. Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture comes to a boil. Spoon over top of chicken.
Well, it took long enough :giggle: Finally got everything we needed to make this recipe. DH only made 1/2 recipe for 2 bone-in thighs and served the sauce on the side for dipping. He said the chicken skin came out so nice and crispy looking that he didn't want to take the chance of softening it up with sauce over it. He was right. Everything was very delicious.

I hope everyone realizes that this thread is not just for me. lol Please feel free to pick a herb or spice that you would like to use and lets all give each other some ideas on how to use it, like you have done for me. OK?
bump

I been on a cumin kick lately so I'll submit Peruvian chicken.
6 cloves peeled garlic.
1/2 T oregano.
1 1/2 T sweet paprika.
1/2 T smoked or hot paprika.
1/4 C cumin.
1 T black pepper.
1/4 C soy sauce.
3 T veg oil.
1/4 C white vinegar.
Blend in a food processor or blender, marinate chicken overnight or at least 6 hrs.
Came out really good. I used thighs on my performer with the vortex.
Source: allrecipies.

Back