Eat Your Spice Rack

Oh Anne, that is a good one, ;) . I have so many recipes calling for them. A lot of them are for shrimp:love:

I made bacon a couple times with szechuan pepper. Real good.
Recipe is based on a Fuchsia Dunlop recipe. She got some great cookbooks to her name, but the best is a non-cook book "shark fin and sichuan pepper"

I'm starting off with something real easy.

Peppercorn and Coriander Salt

Pulse 1 TB. each Szechuan peppercorns and Coriander seeds in a mini food processor or spice grinder until coarsely ground. Transfer to a bowl; stir in 1 TB. flaky sea salt. Sprinkle on grilled steak.

Source: Food Network mag. June 2012

This sounds real good!!!

Baked Chicken with Peppercorn Spice Paste

2 TB. Szechuan peppercorns
2 TB. coriander seeds
1/4 tsp dried crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
6 large garlic cloves
1 TB. minced orange peel
1 tsp. oriental sesame oil
6 10 oz. chicken half-breasts with ribs
5 TB. low-sodium soy sauce

1. Heat heavy small skillet over high heat. Add first 3 ingredients; stir until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Transfer spices and salt to processor; blend 30 seconds. Add cilantro, garlic, orange peel and oil and blend 30 seconds.
2. Preheat oven to 375F. Place chicken in baking pan. Brush with soy sauce. Rub spice mixture over both sides of each breast. Let stand 15 minutes. Bake until chicken is cooked through and brown, basting occasionally with pan juices and adding water to pan if juices evaporate, about 25 minutes. Baste again before serving.

Source: Bon Appetit mag. 7-93

Back