Easy Ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Marlatt

TVWBB Member
I love my WSM. I love Chris' website. I love to eat. I don't love working too hard at cooking! That said I wanted to relay a very successful que last Sunday.

I decided to dumb down my smoking experience for a number of reasons, but mainly I got lazy and did the folowing:
1. Prepared a small rack of spare ribs (for 2 adults and a toddler) the same morning as the cooking. Removed membrane (isn't it easier after you have done it a few times?)
2. Quickly cut to St Louis style.
3. Applied a simple rub of salt, pepper, and turbinado sugar.
4. Fired up a chimney of Kingsford.
5. Dumped hot coals n the ring, then added about another 1/2 chimney unlit.
6. After they mostly ashed over I placed the dirty top grate I never washed (lazy!) over the hot coals to clean it up a bit.
7. Assembled the cooker and filled the pan with cold water.
8. Threw a small piece of apple wood in the fire. My grate-level polder read about 330 degrees.
9. H*ll with it... I put the spares in a rib rack and noted the time: 10:30am.
10. The temp dropped below 250 pretty quick so I mostly ignored it for the next 3 hours.
11. By then the temp had dropped to around 210 or so. I opened up the lid gave it a look, but didn't bother to turn or baste. I opened one bottom vent 100 percent and gave the coals a gentle stir.
12. The chunk of wood hardly burned for some reason so I took it out for future use. My wife always complains if it is too smoky so I scored some points for that one.
13. The temp climbed back up into the 250 range but I mainly ignored it.
14. The temp kept climbing so I added some water to the depleted pan around 4pm.
15. Took the ribs off after 5:30 about 7 hours later.

They were about the best I ever did. I didn't prep overnight, didn't concoct an exotic rub, didn't create a tasty mop (or any mop). So, I was pleased with my lazy man's ribs.

Bob

ps: I was so lazy I didn't bother whipping up my own finishing sauce so I used the who-knows-how-old KC Masterpiece I found in the back of the frig. It passed the smell test and was adequate. Maybe I won't be quite so lazy next time!

Boy, given how lazy you are, I'm surprised you took the time to post your success! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Just kidding, thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Chris

At the risk of insulting the obsessive/compulsive among us, I thought the "lazy" posts had some interesting points. This Q business is suppose to be fun. If it's fun to you to fuss over each detail, then that's fine. But if the fuss becomes exasperating, then maybe it's time to get a little lazy. Obviously a reasonable amount of effort is necessary for good results. However, too much effort can defeat the purpose. IMO the bottom line is to enjoy the avocation - and not get too stressed over it.

PRG

I love this story. Thanks for the ear-to-ear smile.

One of the big reasons I bought a WSM was because it was a lazy person's smoker. Compared to all the others I looked at, it was really the only one that you could fire up and forget. Used to be I couldn't "relax" on a Saturday/Sunday. I always had to be "doing" something. Now, my weekend thing to do is sit on the patio, turn on the Royals game, enjoy a cold drink /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif and stare at a thermometer - "Yep, 225*. Steady as she goes. Full smoke ahead."

Exactly! I was tired of spreading out the Q books, assembling all the spices, keeping an eagle eye on that mythical 225 temp...blah blah blah...

Unfortunately (or fortunately), with a rambunctious four year old, and everything else going on in my life I can't just kick back with a cold one and a baseball game. But given the opportunity....!!!

Bob
http://web.mit.edu/robob/www/homepage.html

I usually multi-task and go off to Home Depot or Sam's for a few hours-- beats staring at an motionless thermometer.

Hey, Bob, cool tip: that little house icon at the top of your post is a link to your homepage. Saves space for witty sig lines, one of which I have yet to come up with.

Okay...so maybe I don't sit there the WHOLE time. I'll cut the grass, do some household chores, chase my 5 year old ("Stay away from the smoker, honey. It's hot" "I know, Dad. You tell me that every time.") And, then I'll kick back and watch the thermometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back