Early Weber with ER serial number and lights in the handle?

Tork T

TVWBB Member
I'm not sure what I've model this is. Identify that grill challenge is on...!

Rust on frame, burners shot, funky grates, weird rotisserie motor.... but I never knew there were lights in a handle like this, and the spacer on the left side of the firebox is new to me. But then I'm new to this whole Weber scene so what do I know-

I've included some pics that are rated mature audience as some images are horrifying.

IMG_8353.jpgIMG_8358.JPGIMG_8357.JPGIMG_8354.JPG

Genesis 1000.

What caught my eye are the dual serial numbers on the label: ER 465772 and KL1 211701. It's my understanding that Weber started using KL1 to represent Genesis 1000 starting in 1993 but then transitioned to the "AUTHORIZED" code scheme on these grills in 1994, thus this grill's ER = 1996. So it looks like they did dual serial numbers for a while. They did the same thing in 2013/14 when transitioning to 2-letter + 7-number serial numbers, showing both the new serial number and the old 2-digit "AUTHORIZED" code on dampers.

I thought that spacer on the left side of the firebox was only on the the Silver models with the plastic side shelves. I don't have it on my 3000.

I am not confident about it, but aren’t those slats durawood? That would make sense with the spacer and I believe make it an 1100 or 1200.

Looks like durawood to me. If you are talking about that panel along the outside edge of the frame cross member, that is a heat shield an is intended to be there and is on all the later (durawood) Genesis 1000-5000 grills to help shield the durawood from getting too hot. Believe me, it wasn't a perfect solution either.

Thanks folks!

Because of the handle having the lights I thought I'd found a rarity, but I guess not. An LX included the Durawood and "upgraded" handle? Is the handle really an upgrade..? It would be nice having light on the grill during our long Alaska winters, but ain't worth much in the summers!

Check out the end of the frame...it seems unfinished. Is there something missing?

Awesome forum!!

IMG_8383.JPG

IMG_8382.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8381.JPG
    IMG_8381.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
The end of the frame is normal. That handled light is an option for some grills. It was also sold as an accessory. You really wanna consider putting LED bulbs in it.. But for Ellie do you still work in the light you will have to switch the direction you insert the batteries. With the LED Bulbs it is much brighter and the batteries will last longer.

Back