Early Christmas Turkey

Tommy B

TVWBB Pro
We are celebrating Christmas in Mississippi with my wife’s side of the family this year so we had Christmas dinner with my side of the family Saturday night. It was also my first time to smoke a turkey.

I brined the bird in the simple brine on the VWB website, water, salt and brown sugar for 14 hours. I rubbed the bird down with some Weber seasoning and black pepper. I had a really tough time getting the WSM to get to 350 degrees. I put in an entire chimney full of lit coals and only got it up to 300. I put another ¾ chimney of lit coals and barely got it to 350. I was crunched for time and when I put the bird on the temps dropped to 250 and would not come up. The smoker temp slowly rose over time but never got to 350. I had all the vents 100% open.

The turkey turned out well. Due to the low temps the skin was not as crispy and hoped but meat was still great. For my first turkey and first high heat cook on WSM I was happy.

As seen in the picture below I even had a Ninja Turtle help carve the bird!

Merry Christmas to all!

We are celebrating Christmas in Mississippi with my wife’s side of the family this year so we had Christmas dinner with my side of the family Saturday night. It was also my first time to smoke a turkey.

I brined the bird in the simple brine on the VWB website, water, salt and brown sugar for 14 hours. I rubbed the bird down with some Weber seasoning and black pepper. I had a really tough time getting the WSM to get to 350 degrees. I put in an entire chimney full of lit coals and only got it up to 300. I put another ¾ chimney of lit coals and barely got it to 350. I was crunched for time and when I put the bird on the temps dropped to 250 and would not come up. The smoker temp slowly rose over time but never got to 350. I had all the vents 100% open.

The turkey turned out well. Due to the low temps the skin was not as crispy and hoped but meat was still great. For my first turkey and first high heat cook on WSM I was happy.

As seen in the picture below I even had a Ninja Turtle help carve the bird!

Merry Christmas to all!

Tasty Looking bird, nice smoke!

Tommy, awesome turkey and your Ninja helper is a cutie. Merry Christmas to you and the family and have a safe trip.

Back