E6 or EX6?

Brett,

I still enjoy my Weber kettles with charcoal and would have to admit that there is still something special about cooking with REAL fire! For moderate size high heat stuff like steaks, burgers, chops I also have a well worn Weber CharQ that gives results a little like the old Hibachi my Dad used when I was a kid. (I am still on the lookout for the right one of those at a price I can afford :) .)

Before I got my Recteq, I had a large Big Green Egg. I liked it very much but I have to admit that after I got the Recteq its use dropped off significantly. I guess I am lazy, but I also enjoy trying different pellets. Even though the BGE could hold a temperature incredibly well, I never could really sleep on a long night cook. With my RT-700 I at least get a decent amount of sleep on the night before a bbq event. It hasn't let me down yet. I guess that's what worries me about the SmokeFire, along with questions some have raised about durability. And then the worry that the SmokeFire may become an orphan product like the old Weber gas kettle.

Well, sorry for rambling. I guess my answer is that my kettles do get service when I have an event, but I generally do stuff like chicken that can be done that day rather than all night cooks. For long cooks, I personally like pellet grills. I sold my BGE when I moved from Florida because I was truly afraid of breaking it in the move. (That's another positive about the Weber Kamado.) I admit to still looking at ads for ceramic grills now and then. There's a nice looking Primo oval in a cedar cart a few hours from me for only $650...
It’s understood. Last data point, you can add a blower into the E6 Kamado. But it sounds like you need the space a E4 affords?

IIRC, @DanHoo just did an overnight cook in his BGE using a Bellows and he had great success. I won’t push here. Our needs sound similar prior to me buying my E6.

My next purchase will be a blower for my E6 so I can comfortably do an overnight cook without worry. But I don’t sleep well already so I’m used to being up at odd hours.

I’ll watch as this all plays out for you. Wishing you luck and happiness with your decision.

I posted a long reply on the traeger forum to @Tony P in Florida's questions. Since I bought the billows it has been a game changer for low temp cooks on my egg. 250 grate cooks are easy, and the overnight pork butt cook in the rain at 220 grate was something I'd never been able to do before.

I'm using my pellet less and less. I cook ribs on the pellet since I can do three slabs flat. I cooksteaks and tri tip on the coolest smoke setting and then reverse sear on the gasser. I'm going to try smoke tubes next time for more smoke flavor. A complaint is I don't like the fan noise of my pellet. I haven't compared it with others but it is noisy.

my only complaint on my BGE is the 18 inch grate, though tonight it did a nice job cooking a beer can chicken and a dozen boneless skinless thighs.

20210925_181913.jpg

Last edited:
I am just north of Orlando and thanks for the offer. Gonna keep researching a bit more. I am leaning toward the Summit Kamado E6 though. Seems like a lot less cons.
Another thought. Pickup a used pellet and try it for a while. Before spending a bucket load of money, pickup a used one and try it out. If you love it flip it, and buy the pellet of your dreams. If you hate it, flip it and try the E6. Or keep it, and buy the E6 and you'll still spend less than the high end "T".

here's one for $300 as an example. even has a bottle opener (y) (y)

00p0p_g21RDpc6WnPz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

I posted a long reply on the traeger forum to @Tony P in Florida's questions. Since I bought the billows it has been a game changer for low temp cooks on my egg. 250 grate cooks are easy, and the overnight pork butt cook in the rain at 220 grate was something I'd never been able to do before.

I'm using my pellet less and less. I cook ribs on the pellet since I can do three slabs flat. I cooksteaks and tri tip on the coolest smoke setting and then reverse sear on the gasser. I'm going to try smoke tubes next time for more smoke flavor. A complaint is I don't like the fan noise of my pellet. I haven't compared it with others but it is noisy.

my only complaint on my BGE is the 18 inch grate, though tonight it did a nice job cooking a beer can chicken and a dozen boneless skinless thighs.

View attachment 37806

I appreciate all the advice, here and there. Nice layout of food.

The one thing that bothers me is having to use a smoker tube on a pellet grill. That's not a complaint I hear a lot about the smokefire.

I have a smoker tube that I bought for my Genesis 2 and I wasn't that happy with the performance. That could be because I get better smoking on my kamado.

Have you tried those pit Boss charcoal flavored pellets? They're not 100% charcoal like the royal oaks, and I realize it's charcoal flavor and not necessarily wood smoke, but maybe that would enhance the flavor at least make food taste more like the egg?

I appreciate all the advice, here and there. Nice layout of food.

The one thing that bothers me is having to use a smoker tube on a pellet grill. That's not a complaint I hear a lot about the smokefire.

I have a smoker tube that I bought for my Genesis 2 and I wasn't that happy with the performance. That could be because I get better smoking on my kamado.

Have you tried those pit Boss charcoal flavored pellets? They're not 100% charcoal like the royal oaks, and I realize it's charcoal flavor and not necessarily wood smoke, but maybe that would enhance the flavor at least make food taste more like the egg?
Adding a smoke tube for more smoke is no different than adding more or less wood chunks to your charcoal kettle or Kamado. To me, it’s great starting at a reasonable level of smoke and adding a tube or other method if needed.
Coming from the BGE, the Smokefire has a great but mild flavor profile compared to my normal BGE smokes.
Honestly, I’m not into heavy smoke profile and wife hates heavy smoke. So the Smokefire flavor is great for us. We especially like the milder profile on the leftovers the next day.
A buddy of mine just went through a bag of the Pittboss charcoal pellets. He said he loved the traditional charcoal smell while it was cooking but it added no more smoke flavor and the charcoal dust was messier. Ne said no advantage at all. He is using a Pittboss smoker and loves it.
A couple years ago on another forum, a member was ripping a bbq rub because it did not have enough salt for his taste. Dude, you can add more salt…so you are complaining about a rub because it has LESS salt filler and you can easily add more to accommodate your taste. I know this is a slim comparison. But when I bout the SF I was afraid everything was going to be over smoked and I would be stuck with only this flavor option. I like the ability of starting at the lower/medium end and being able to add more if needed.
But the important thing to remember is smoke flavor preference is soooo subjective to each person.

Darian,
I think you are spot on. I can relate as I like a little more smoke - not a house fire rescue - but my wife has almost no tolerance. So being able to keep it mild when you want to can definitely be a good thing. Funny thing is that one of the few times she complimented how what I brought in smelled was when I used Weber’s Grill Master blend pellets.

I don’t mind using a smoker tube. I am interested in trying my Pit Boss charcoal pellets to see what my take on them is. I had kind of viewed them as something to mix with other pellets to make my own blends, similar to Lumberjack’s Char Hickory. When the Pit Boss ones are used up, I want to try Royal Oak’s version.

Every time I think it is safe to go back into the water...:(:eek:

If there was ever a grill that provokes more opposite reactions and experiences, I don't know what it is. We've seen some AWESOME looking cue from the SmokeFire and then we hear stuff like this...Really hard for me to sort it out sitting still on the sidelines. I am hoping to get a bonus at work that will allow me to justify to my wife that I should be able to buy a second pellet grill. I was in Lowes today and was again checking out the EX-4 as a compliment to my Recteq RT-700. Lots of good things to like, in spite of cheapo grates. I even have a set of cast iron Weber grates with the GBS insert that I am holding for that EX-4:cool:. Figure I would use the upper grate not nearly as often and when it finally fails look for some of the replacement options we have seen here. But then...

SPIDER GRILL 22

I have recently been attracted to this product that originally started on KickStarter as the "Pella." It made it to reality and is available for only $279. It is somewhat of an alternative to Recteq's Bullseye ($399), but there is a little more to that. First of all, unlike the Bullseye, Spider has made provision for grease management. Second, although I do like Recteq's stainless body, there is still a lot to be said for using a Weber kettle :smilekettle: as the body for a round pellet grill. And, if you are like me, you already have more kettles than you need:redmastertouch:, so committing one to this use is a no-cost, no-brainer. Also an easier sell to my wife!;)

I realize that many of you already will be writing this off as a gimmick. But wait, at least check out a couple of what seem to be honest reviews. Very positive - at least within the limits of what you can expect from a 22" round pellet grill:

Since all I want is a 2nd smaller pellet grill to help out when I do one of my small bbq events - and since I have a Thermoworks Smoke to monitor with (plus plenty of extra kettles) - can anyone tell me a good reason not to go this route vs. an EX-4?

Finally, they clearly say that the Spider 22 will not work on Performers or other table Weber kettle grills. From watching, my guess is that the weight of the Spider 22 attachment rests on the ground and that the clips that attach to the kettle are not strong enough to hold it up (or may damage your kettle). I am thinking that this Spider 22 would be a perfect marriage with a modified old SSP (Stainless Performer). I would see about adding a slightly elevated ledge to the one side of the SSP for this to sit on. Eliminate the slide aside on the SSP kettle and modify the holes to use for the Spider Probe and Smoke probes. If this could work, it would make this into a rolling, one-piece unit with a nice stainless prep tray and even storage for your pellets. There are still a lot of derelict SSPs out there where the igniter and 5lb tank are shot. Those would all be eliminated. Last thing I would do is get one of those attachments that puts your kettle lid on a hinge. Have it open to the back now instead of to the side like it did with the slide aside, since that is where the Spider 22 would now be.

Think I am crazy?!!!:unsure:
Jon - I really like the idea of you getting the Spider 22. I have posted about it before and the few people that got it seem to really like it. It is fairly inexpensive and you could always pick up an old kettle for about $20 before modifying your performer if you wanted. I was actually going to go that route before I bought and tried the EX-4 and discovered that pellets just are not for me. I am quite happy with the performer / WSM combo and if I ever go to a "set and forget it" I will go to a charcoal gravity feed. The nice thing about the Spider is that you canstill use the rotisserie with it on. Not many pellet poopers can do rotisserie!

Adding a smoke tube for more smoke is no different than adding more or less wood chunks to your charcoal kettle or Kamado. To me, it’s great starting at a reasonable level of smoke and adding a tube or other method if needed.

Well, it is a little different :)

From what I've read, the pellets supposedly give off more smoke when they smolder between 165 and 225. So maybe folks need to be cooking for the first hour or two at the lower temperature to increase smoke absorption?

Last edited:
I've done this on my pellet, yet it is a trade off.

More smoke at lower temp means longer cook times. For steak and tri tip this works. for pork the lower temp doesn't render fat when grate is 180.

Just an FYI - Spider 22 price is going up

Last chance to save on the Spider-22​

Starting October 5th, the Spider-22 will retail for $299. Here’s your last chance to get our flagship grill for the lowest price we’ll ever offer it!
Facebook iconInstagram iconWebsite icon

Joe,
Thanks for the heads up. Still waiting on a promised bonus at work, so I may have to let that increase slide by. I think we are going to be seeing increase across the board. At least maybe that will drive up prices and demand for restored grills!

Just an FYI - Spider 22 price is going up

Last chance to save on the Spider-22​

Starting October 5th, the Spider-22 will retail for $299. Here’s your last chance to get our flagship grill for the lowest price we’ll ever offer it!

Facebook iconInstagram iconWebsite icon
Is this a Georgia company I notice the grease can is a Creature Comforts Tropicalia IPA can if you love IPA's this one is near the top of the list. Draft though the canned beer is good but does not do it justice when you drink it on tap.

No offense and in the eyes of the beholder that Spider is the most hideous thing I have ever seen not to mention being $279 dollars going to $299. Someone educate me what is the point of this you need a kettle I get the pellet thing so lets just say you spend $150 bucks for a kettle then add this why, go to Lowes buy a cheap Pit Boss and be done for not a whole lot more money.

Our friends at the WKC would probably be horrified that you did this to your kettle. o_O

Is this a Georgia company I notice the grease can is a Creature Comforts Tropicalia IPA can if you love IPA's this one is near the top of the list. Draft though the canned beer is good but does not do it justice when you drink it on tap.

No offense and in the eyes of the beholder that Spider is the most hideous thing I have ever seen not to mention being $279 dollars going to $299. Someone educate me what is the point of this you need a kettle I get the pellet thing so lets just say you spend $150 bucks for a kettle then add this why, go to Lowes buy a cheap Pit Boss and be done for not a whole lot more money.

Our friends at the WKC would probably be horrified that you did this to your kettle. o_O

If you already have a kettle you can use it as you always can or you attach / detach this and use it as a pellet grill. I think it is a cool relatively inexpensive way to increase the capabilities of you kettle. Also while using it you can place some charcoal or wood on the coal grate to get some extra flavor. Pretty versatile.

My pit boss was just over 300, after sale, coupon and damaged box discount.

I'd rather have separate pellet and kettle for flexibility.

Brian,
That's a fair question. First of all, in my case all I want is a 2nd smaller pellet grill. So, excluding used grills there is this Spider Weber kettle adapter and, as suggested, a Pit Boss or maybe other low-price entry in the pellet grill arena. Since I have more kettles than I can ever use at once, hooking up a Spider-22 to one doesn't that big of a deal. The kettle is a sunk cost. Personally, while the thing isn't beautiful, the use of the Weber kettle makes it look good enough to me. I don't really think it looks any worse than an inexpensive regular pellet grill. If I do get one and someday I can figure out how to attach it to an old SSP and make the whole thing one moveable unit, then I think it could actually look really good.

Sure, I can - and do - cook bbq on a charcoal kettle. But most real bbq takes hours as you know. That means, at a minimum, regularly tending vents and adding coals. The Spider allows you to go for hours without doing anything. I know purists don't agree with this, but when I am cooking for a small event, I care about RESULTS and eliminating failure/wasted food. A pellet grill shines at that. So while it may not do 100% as well as charcoal and wood, the ability to use various pellets does give some fun and more subtle taste/smell differences. And I have had GREAT bbq from my Recteq pellet grill. We have all seen the great stuff people have done on their SmokeFire - at least when their SFs were cooperating :ROFLMAO: .

I will always use charcoal Weber kettles in my bbq arsenal, but I am not above converting one to pellet use so that I can cook more effectively.

That spider attachments is very cool. I don't know anything about it.

So no idea if this thing is going to even last.

But there was some real innovation going into that product.

Back